Oh, Misty, I forgot my Complaint Thread

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,575

Sfariah said:

I read a joke once about tech support, but I'll make my own version.

tech support gets a call that the client couldn't turn their desktop computer on. 
    tech support asked if the computer was plugged in.

the client said yes.  After a while of troubleshooting, the client said that their phone battery is low,  the tech support asked if the client could charge their phone.  The client said that they can't find the charger in the dark.  The tech support asked why.  Their was a power outage in their neighborhood.

...I've actualy dealt with calls similar to that and worse. 

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,158

Sometimes I'll be out in the world, and I'll hear a song that sounds okay at first, but the more I hear of it, the more loathsome it becomes. And every single time, it's by Gwen Stefani.

• mdingmding Posts: 1,137

frank0314 said:

That's a bad day for sure.

I sent you a message. 

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005

Gordig said:

Sometimes I'll be out in the world, and I'll hear a song that sounds okay at first, but the more I hear of it, the more loathsome it becomes. And every single time, it's by Gwen Stefani.

I keep hearing this music (?) in a local grocery store that uses the sampling "Call on me " from the Steve Winwood song "Valerie"... over and over and over and over... I'm 99% sure the only lyrics are "Call on me, call on me, call on me" over and over... and it's just a sampling no actual music other than that looping.

The musical equivalent of an unpainted white canvas called "Polar Bear in Snowstorm".

Or pretty much most NFTs... (Ooooh sick burn on NFTs!)

It triggers my primordial radio smashing response.

I want to find out who is responsible for this.

• McGyver said:

Gordig said:

I keep hearing this music (?) in a local grocery store that uses the sampling "Call on me " from the Steve Winwood song "Valerie"... over and over and over and over... I'm 99% sure the only lyrics are "Call on me, call on me, call on me" over and over... and it's just a sampling no actual music other than that looping.

The musical equivalent of an unpainted white canvas called "Polar Bear in Snowstorm".

this one

though bearing in mind anytime I post in this thread my posts vanish and that video probably no exception cheeky

• I have just one world about NFTs  "Lemmings".crying

WendyLuvsCatz said:

McGyver said:

Gordig said:

this one

though bearing in mind anytime I post in this thread my posts vanish and that video probably no exception cheeky

Ugh, way too much ducking on the bass drum. Also, as many times as I've heard the original song, I never knew what it was called, or that he was saying "call on me" in the chorus.

• since I am here

Tony Blair fell off a treadmill watching that video

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/daily-mail/20170117/282690456890901

seems popular for aerobics cheeky

You say "treadmill", but the link says both exercise bike and rowing machine, so I don't know what to believe. Also, how the hell do you fall off a rowing machine?

• Gordig said:

You say "treadmill", but the link says both exercise bike and rowing machine, so I don't know what to believe. Also, how the hell do you fall off a rowing machine?

only link I could find

I heard treadmill. is mentioned by Youtube commenters too 

Of the three, treadmill is definitely the most plausible. Short of fully losing consciousness, it's difficult to imagine a scenario that would cause someone to fall off either an exercise bike or rowing machine. 

WendyLuvsCatz said:

since I am here

Tony Blair fell off a treadmill watching that video

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/daily-mail/20170117/282690456890901

seems popular for aerobics cheeky

I can see why that might have happened... also, although I can't stand songs where someone just plays a section of music over and over (some club songs not withstanding), this video made me remember my fevered debaucherous youth and a particularly equally debaucherous young lady I knew... damn, I miss those high cut aerobics outfits... {Cue Springsteen's "Glory Days"}

Sigh.

Gordig said:

You assume rowing was going on.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,703

Oh hello everyone!

• RezcaRezca Posts: 3,391
    edited February 2022

Minor 'plaint:   Was working on an image and after I rendered it out finally I see that one of the Cloners is misaligned so some of the objects are floating above the terrain.  Woops. It's not  too teribly bad since it seems to just be a couple of the rocks and at first glance its easy to miss, but I'll fix it tomorrow.

seadragon_scene_1a.jpg
    1440 x 810 - 70K
    Post edited by Rezca on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,575

..still looks realiy good. 

Rezca said:

Minor 'plaint:   Was working on an image and after I rendered it out finally I see that one of the Cloners is misaligned so some of the objects are floating above the terrain.  Woops. It's not  too teribly bad since it seems to just be a couple of the rocks and at first glance its easy to miss, but I'll fix it tomorrow.

@Rezca: Is "cloner" the  technical term for the basic prop used for instancing? (Still lacking a lot of Daz knowledge...)

Beautiful, btw, did you render it as dark as you have shown it to us?

mding said:

Rezca said:

@Rezca: Is "cloner" the  technical term for the basic prop used for instancing? (Still lacking a lot of Daz knowledge...)

Rezca mostly if not exclusively renders in C4D, which uses a cloner for instancing.

Gordig said:

mding said:

Rezca said:

Rezca mostly if not exclusively renders in C4D, which uses a cloner for instancing.

Oh, thankyou for helping me, @Gordig. So I guess there is no technical term for the basic prop in instancing, lol.

Well, the technical term is "instance". C4D also has regular instances, and I would imagine most other 3D apps do as well.

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,686

Has DAZ added MAP to its collection of unpopular acronyms like NFT?

edited February 2022

Gordig said:

Well, the technical term is "instance". C4D also has regular instances, and I would imagine most other 3D apps do as well.

Well I have learned here in the forum (wrote it down and just looked it up to be sure: everything in the scene tab is called a "node". So a grass prop would be a node, and if you scatter it by creating instances of this grass prop (ultrascatterpro) these copied grass nodes would be called (node) instances, but not the basic original prop. Is that wrong? Ultrascatter btw calles this source prop a scatter object...

Post edited by mding on

xyer0 said:

Has DAZ added MAP to its collection of unpopular acronyms like NFT?

That render looks like a sweet embrace between mother/daughter skaters. 

Question Not Worth Making A Thread To Ask....

Linking to commercial sites is now verboten when it's unsolicited, but can someone post a link to an article about digital art on a commercial site?

Specifcally an article about how to do something and that is not selling anything or suggesting a commercial product.

Specifically somewhere like ArtStation, Cubebrush or DeviantArt?

Just asking for an imaginary friend.

• McGyver said:

Question Not Worth Making A Thread To Ask....

Linking to commercial sites is now verboten when it's unsolicited, but can someone post a link to an article about digital art on a commercial site?

Specifcally an article about how to do something and that is not selling anything or suggesting a commercial product.

Specifically somewhere like ArtStation, Cubebrush or DeviantArt?

Just asking for an imaginary friend.

If it was simply out of the blue, probably not - if it was part of a discussion on the topic, then yes.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,383

Basically you can't voluntarily direct people to a competitors store/site without being asked for that particular information within a topic of that conversation.

I got movie tickets for a Valentine's Day date. The movie theater recommends wearing a mask while watching a movie, but we are getting food and drinks.  How can we eat when we have a mask on?

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,383
    edited February 2022

Pull the mask up over your mouth but leave your nose under it.

Post edited by frank0314 on
    edited February 2022

mding said:

Gordig said:

mding said:

Rezca said:

Oh, thankyou for helping me, @Gordig. So I guess there is no technical term for the basic prop in instancing, lol.

I rendered it a little less dark than that, there was a tiny bit of color correction in Photoshop though with a Gradient Map though. Right now I'm trying to decide between the look rendering in sRGB color space gives me vs the look endering in LinearRGB space gives me...  On one hand, the deep dark look Linear gives me is right up the alley I was gunning for originally but hmmm

Minor drawback is rendering in LinearRGB means it won't benefit from the LUT I was using, so it'd need to be color corrected to re-add the blue look later; but there's also something to be said for the murky green look.....  I'll probably stick to sRGB and color-correcting it since that was a nice middle ground between the two.

In Cinema 4D the "Cloner" is a generator object that clones objects then instances them, whether it scatters them too or not is up to you.  It's like Vue's ecosystem populating but I've not really gotten super intricate with my cloning but ah.  I know the MoGraph Cloner's capable of a lot in the right hands, sadly though my hands aren't one of them :P

Cinema's got three different types of instancing, depending on your usage and needs.  Regular "Instance" mode which as far as I know is mostly just there for compatability reasons,  "Render Instances" which are far more efficient in memory usage,  and the relatively new "Multi-Instances"  which double on that but also are extremely viewport efficient too.  The drawback there is that Render and Multi Instances can't clone things like Lights so you have to fall back onto regular Instancing to properly use those

When it comes to the actual rendering though I'm mostly using Octane right now after transitioning from Redshift. Arnold was one I had been looking at too but Octane was a touch less costly (20 vs 35) and I found just a tiny bit easier to work with.  U-Render is one I've picked up recently but not had the chance to work with much yet - at the moment it seems to be taking issue with my graphics card but its a problem they're looking into.

One little nitpick I have with Octane's displacement is its only visualized at rendertime.  So working with landscapes born out of displacement from otherwise flat geometry means a lot of eyeballing, sometimes resulting in what I see here when the geometry I'm setting up to clone stuff onto doesn't quite match where the displacement effect begins. 

Screenshot 2022-02-10 093437.jpg
    307 x 278 - 24K
    Screenshot 2022-02-10 093503.jpg
    452 x 347 - 32K
    Screenshot 2022-02-10 093851.jpg
    1037 x 563 - 153K
    srgb-linearrgb.jpg
    1440 x 403 - 49K
    Post edited by Rezca on

kyoto kid said:

..still looks realiy good.