Normal Map Fusion

This looks interesting (https://www.daz3d.com/normal-map-fusion-for-genesis-3-8-and-81). I'm curious as to the method/s employed for the blend - details are not forthcoming in the product description and I hope it's using a 'proper' method eg. not linear blending as it loses detail in both maps or overlay blending for similar reasons.

Comments

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,311

I noticed this product mentions a Hobgoblin 8 product it is blending with, anyone know which product this is refering to?

• Havos said:

I noticed this product mentions a Hobgoblin 8 product it is blending with, anyone know which product this is refering to?

Just judging from the textures shown, might be this one: https://www.daz3d.com/hobgoblin-hd-for-genesis-8-male ;

• charlescharles Posts: 775

I saw it, but I don't use normals on characters. Rip them out and double bump maps.

• FrinkkyFrinkky Posts: 388
    edited January 2022

charles said:

I saw it, but I don't use normals on characters. Rip them out and double bump maps.

Certainly an option and is generally faster to render than normal maps. However, with a bump map, surface normals are interpolated between the object's geometry (vertex) normals. With a normal map, the calculated normals from the high resolution mesh used to create the normal map are superimposed over the geometry, allowing more accurate light interaction with the surface. If one has the resources to spare, subd would be preferable of course.

Post edited by Frinkky on
  • MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,610

I'm generally a fan of ease of use scripts, but normal maps are something I'd rather blend in Photoshop. You can get some super funky results by just stacking them, unless features line up perfectly. Example being wrinkles and things like knuckles. Even lips. 

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,311

With things like stone walls, where the uneven surfaces, and particular the mortar is simulated via a bump or normal map, rather than through modelling of the wall, then in my experience a normal map looks more realistic than a bump map. Same with things like patterns on an otherwise smooth metal plate. Bump maps may be better than normals in some circumstances (I am refering to image quality not performance), but I am not sure which.

• charlescharles Posts: 775

Havos said:

With things like stone walls, where the uneven surfaces, and particular the mortar is simulated via a bump or normal map, rather than through modelling of the wall, then in my experience a normal map looks more realistic than a bump map. Same with things like patterns on an otherwise smooth metal plate. Bump maps may be better than normals in some circumstances (I am refering to image quality not performance), but I am not sure which.

I agree, and like I said I only remove them from Daz characters not anything else. With my work and lighting style I find normals cause way too many problems in Daz. If I get a chance to dig up some old examples I will.

So I do rely mainly on subd3-5. And I know I won't have all the details offered in the normals, but that compared to the alternate is worth it for me.

• One thing I'm curious about is...  what happens when you want to mix the UV maps where one of the characters has a completely different, nonstandard texture layout?  Can it work with those?

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,762
    edited January 2022

https://forum.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/508131/normal-map-fusion-commercial ;

Zev0 said:

Hi Guys. Been spending some time on this..In a nutshell you will be able to blend normal maps from different characters of same UV.

You can blend in specific body parts and leave the rest alone via a new smart mask option we developed. EG blend in only head and arm details.

You will also be able to save them out via a unique scripted preset that can be applied to any character using same UV. More details to follow when everything is finalized.

Post edited by Cybersox on
  • Okay, was sort of hoping it would be able to merge between incompatible UV layouds... by "seeing" where the elements of each are on the actual body and shift the positions of the parts around accordingly, but from the above it looks like it simply looks at the UV map images themselves and mrges them from the image files.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,762
    edited January 2022

nomad-ads_8ecd56922e said:

Okay, was sort of hoping it would be able to merge between incompatible UV layouds... by "seeing" where the elements of each are on the actual body and shift the positions of the parts around accordingly, but from the above it looks like it simply looks at the UV map images themselves and mrges them from the image files.

I'm hoping that Zev0 posts something soon on the official commercial thread since (as of this posting) the last time anything posted there was last Juy.  However, if something like that was possible technically within Studio, I'd think we'd have seen the first product released with that capability being something that would merge different UV skin maps as while Blackmith3d can basically do that, it's a seperate program, while the existing systems to do UV conversion in Studio require the use of geografts ala Cayman Studio's products.    

Post edited by Cybersox on
This discussion has been closed.