Iray - Dome, Sun, Scene - Help needed

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,833
    edited December 1969

If you set the Dome Mode to one of the Finite options you can then adjust its size and position.

• NoName99NoName99 Posts: 322
    edited March 2015

ralf said:
    @spit I guess I understood what I was doing wrong the whole time. I misunderstood the whole Thing. I thought the Environment Map was for lightning as well as for Background. But as I understand now, it's just the Map for the light and I always Need to set an extra Background in the Environment Tab. Is this correct?
    By the way, is there a complete Tutorial for how to use all those Iray settings anywhere online? I could just find a few short tutorials but not one that explains evrything.

Hey, you're literally running into the same problem I ran into which I posted about yesterday. If your still having trouble, reading my post might help you out:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/54117/

I'm about to update with what I've figured out today about the Environment Maps, Draw Mode, and Shadow Catching.

Believe me, I know how frustrating it is, I was about to pull out my hair trying to figure out the draw done/environment BG image.

Post edited by NoName99 on
  • R25SR25S Posts: 595
    edited December 1969

Spit said:
    You mean the steps from the previous page? I did not add a skydome to the scene. It looks like the color is from a light from the skydome that's selected, which doesn't make sense because that would be a light for 3delight not for iray.

What I mean was that I use a background without the use of a visible skydome and put the image in both the environment slot in render settings AND the backdrop slot in environment pane. (These are the steps you told in the message that I quoted)
    I did not use an additional light - only iray - so there is no light selected.
    The Tab with the Skydomes are only open because I used the .jpg Image from one of them.

• Ralf1958Ralf1958 Posts: 688
    edited December 1969

Spit said:
    ralf said:
    @ spit - You are the MAN! You just made my day! I had no idea about that emissive possibillity applied to the dome! I will try that asap and I think that's exactly what I was looking for. And thanks for all those links. I will have to read and learn a lot now! :-)

I haven't tried it myself yet. I learned it from reading most of those links. :) btw, I'm a girl. Well, an old lady actually.

Well Spit, then you are the LADY! And you still made my day! :-)
    In the meantime strange things happened which I cannot really figure out where they came from. At first in the "Dome and Scene" Settings I had no controls for the sun and that was my Major Problem. But suddenly those controls appeared out of nothing! Now they are there. Magic??? Just wondering.
    Anyways, I made a few renders and tryed a few things and I am getting more and more excited about this Iray. I love it! :-)

edited December 1969

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Now I figured out!!! Once I put an Environment map, the controls of the sun automatically dissappear! Mistery solved! :-)

edited December 1969

dinopt said:
    ralf said:
    @spit I guess I understood what I was doing wrong the whole time. I misunderstood the whole Thing. I thought the Environment Map was for lightning as well as for Background. But as I understand now, it's just the Map for the light and I always Need to set an extra Background in the Environment Tab. Is this correct?
    By the way, is there a complete Tutorial for how to use all those Iray settings anywhere online? I could just find a few short tutorials but not one that explains evrything.

Hey, you're literally running into the same problem I ran into which I posted about yesterday. If your still having trouble, reading my post might help you out:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/54117/

I'm about to update with what I've figured out today about the Environment Maps, Draw Mode, and Shadow Catching.

Believe me, I know how frustrating it is, I was about to pull out my hair trying to figure out the draw done/environment BG image.

Hey dinopt, im am still hanging in there. Same Situation as yours. Please Keep me updated if you find a solution. I'll let you know if I find out something as well. :-)

edited December 1969

Well... I am still struggling. I want a scene with a Background illuminated by the sun, not by the dome, because the shadows on the ground are to soft. So... in "Dome and Scene" mode it does not work at all. In "Sky and Sun" mode I cannot set the Background the way I want it because it's fixed on his Position. I wonder why there isn't something like a "normal" skydome but with translucency, so that the sunlight can get through. By the way... I didn't try this yet, but maybe adding a "normal" Skydome and Setting it to iray shaders and then set the translucency maybe could work... or probably not, but i'll give a try later. That would be Kind of a good solution. :-)

edited December 1969

Nope! The translucency on a "normal" Skydome didn't work out. But... what worked out pretty good are the "clouds only" domes that come with "Ultimo Paradiso". Setting the clouds dome to iray shaders and then to "Emission", turning the values up to 100000, puts some nice clouds on the "Iray dome" (without Environment map). So I get a nice bright sunshine and a sky with a few clouds that also draws some nice shadows on the ground. I like that. :-)

Sky_00.png
    1200 x 675 - 434K
  • BriandrawingsBriandrawings Posts: 32
    edited December 1969

After trial and error I finally found a way to use skydomes with Iray.
    Set the Environment Mode to Scene Only
    What you need to do is select your skydome go to Surface and apply the Iray Uber Base.

Once you have done that you will see and image in Base Color you need to use this same image in the Emission Color.
    Set Emission Temperature to 6500
    Set Luminance to 100000 ( any higher and it will wash out the image. )

Note that this makes the skydome visible but it sends light in all directions toward the center around object under the dome. Meaning no shadows.
    you will have to use other light in scene to make shadows ( Do not use distant light it is coming from outside the dome. )
    Lights have to be in the dome.

This may increase render time.

Sample_4.PNG
    236 x 254 - 21K
    Sample_2.PNG
    361 x 590 - 48K
    Sample_1.PNG
    367 x 573 - 42K
  • BriandrawingsBriandrawings Posts: 32
    edited December 1969

After trial and error I finally found a way to use skydomes with Iray.
    Set the Environment Mode to Scene Only
    What you need to do is select your skydome go to Surface and apply the Iray Uber Base.

Once you have done that you will see and image in Base Color you need to use this same image in the Emission Color.
    Set Emission Temperature to 6500
    Set Luminance to 100000 ( any higher and it will wash out the image. )

Note that this makes the skydome visible but it sends light in all directions toward the center around object under the dome. Meaning no shadows.
    you will have to use other light in scene to make shadows ( Do not use distant light it is coming from outside the dome. )
    Lights have to be in the dome.

This may increase render time.

Here is a sample using Predatron Skydome with these settings.
    You can see the Skydome in the hood of the car.

Winners_Circle_Edited.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 296K
  • UnseenArtworksUnseenArtworks Posts: 58
    edited December 1969

No, no, no... call me old-fashioned, but there must be a way to use "old" Skydomes with iRay neither affecting the illumination of the scene nor the sunlight itself.

I used to use skydomes to provide quick background-pictures for my scenes e.g. for a simple sky or a landscape in the distant. But I never intended to use their lighting information for actually lighting my scene. Plus I really NEED to see which part of the image will be in my render - so simply using the dome-texture as envivronment map is not an option for me - I don't see the final result in the preview and it totally messes up the lighting of my scene.

But I also cannot just take them as a backdrop image because then the image is just flat and distorted instead of the dimensionality of a skydome. That I could do with photoshop as well.

And I also can't convert the dome to an emissive skydome because that - again - would mess up the light...

There must be a way to tell DAZ Studio to just render the skydome as and ignore it for the lighting of the scene >.<</p>

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Spit said:
    Lots of questions....

You can still use skydomes and have them visible. You need to apply the emissive preset and set it as double sided otherwise the light only radiates from the outside of the dome out to nowhere.

you could always select the whole dome with the Geometry Editor Tool and reverse the normal so it emits light inward only. ;)
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

Are there any ways to get added glow transparencies to NOT accept shadows in iRay? I'm using some of Jepe's effects and I can't figure out how to not have them accept shadow casting. Kinda kills the ethereal effects I'm trying to render! lol

edited December 1969

One thing about Realistic render engines is that you cannot turn off shadows, well as far as I know. This is why I say 3delight lets us be more creative. :)

edited December 1969

Well that sucks rotten eggs. I hope someone comes up with a fix for that at some point! :-(

edited December 1969

Question..

I made a quick Moon that I want to turn into an emitter to shine "moon light" onto my scene using iRay. I've done the select Moon and apply the iRay Emitter shader to it but I've spent way too much time trying to keep the moons details in tact along with making it "glow and shine" .... is there a set up I can try to see if I can make this happen? Everything I've tried either creates so much emission that all the moons details are washed out or it's just a funny color and no light that I can really see.....

Thanks so much

Rich

• MarshianMarshian Posts: 1,459
    edited December 1969

Try adding the diffuse map to one or all of the emitter related channels.

edited December 1969

You are AWESOME. Thanks. OK, applying the map through the Emission Color channel did the trick! Now I got to get it to glow more but the details are all back. YAY! :-)

• deepred6502deepred6502 Posts: 297
    edited June 2015

I've been experimenting with skydome props and environment maps in DS 4.8. I've largely sussed out how to make them both work, and for outdoor scenes they're pretty good.

But what I'd like to do now is to apply skydomes and environment maps to interior scenes where the sunlight generates a beam inside, such as when a character looks out a window. However, that means having to crank up the intensity of the skydome or environment map to the point where the dome looks washed out and over-exposed. I'd rather not have to use a fill light for the interior, as it would look a bit fake, and it would also wash out the sunbeam effect. The 1st pic shows a normal dome light with under-exposed interior, while the 2nd pic has sufficient light for the interior but with over-exposed dome (which resembles a nuclear flash).

Any thoughts? Maybe it's best to use a separate exterior light in addition?

Enviro_light_10x.jpg
    768 x 512 - 225K
    Enviro_light_Normal.jpg
    768 x 512 - 172K
    Post edited by deepred6502 on
  • MarshianMarshian Posts: 1,459
    edited December 1969

deepred said:
    I've been experimenting with skydome props and environment maps in DS 4.8. I've largely sussed out how to make them both work, and for outdoor scenes they're pretty good.

But what I'd like to do now is to apply skydomes and environment maps to interior scenes where the sunlight generates a beam inside, such as when a character looks out a window. However, that means having to crank up the intensity of the skydome or environment map to the point where the dome looks washed out and over-exposed. I'd rather not have to use a fill light for the interior, as it look a bit fake, and it would also wash out the sunbeam effect. The 1st pic shows a normal dome light with under-exposed interior, while the 2nd pic has sufficient light for the interior but with over-exposed dome (which resembles a nuclear flash).

Any thoughts? Maybe it's best to use a separate exterior light in addition?

Easiest would probably be a composite piece in photoshop (or similar). This is how I would have to do it if I was taking a photograph of the room (two exposures). Those burned out windows would actually be very easy to select in photoshop with the magic wand tool- you could make a mask from that selection and use it to apply your outdoor scene.

edited December 1969

I think many people aren't grasping that Iray is a Photoreal render engine and therefore will act like a real camera and not how we see thing with our eyes. So for interiors fills lights will be needed if you want the vista outside to be seen. Or as marshian pointed out composite it. You could always use http://www.daz3d.com/mask-and-multipass-toolbox to render out a mask but you would need to revert the window mat back to the DS default before making a mask. :)

• FranksFranks Posts: 1
    edited August 2015

Hi everybody...

I've been looking for some solutions, because i wanted to use the same sky to came in the dome.

For me the best way I've found to do this is render with environment mode in "Dome and scene", then using the sky texture as a "environment map". Most of the domes are half spheres, so, I just i've opened with photoshop and mirrored the texture to make it square, and so the horizon stays in the middle of the texture... Then, just a photometric distant light for the sun with lumen in "10".

This is my dome setting:

And here is my final render (the only postwork in photoshop is levels and a little bloom effect added...

Hope can be usefull to somebody...

Post edited by Franks on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    Szark said:

I think many people aren't grasping that Iray is a Photoreal render engine and therefore will act like a real camera and not how we see thing with our eyes. So for interiors fills lights will be needed if you want the vista outside to be seen. Or as marshian pointed out composite it. You could always use http://www.daz3d.com/mask-and-multipass-toolbox to render out a mask but you would need to revert the window mat back to the DS default before making a mask. :)

I don't understand what you're saying in that last sentence- that toolbox looks interesting for this purpose- not sure how it works for this? Taking a guess- you would use photodimensional spotlights or distant lights or mesh lights inside, and mask the window areas so they protected/not blown out by the lights? (I am getting confused with masks- don't they protect an area- aka, it's not what is selected, it's what will NOT have the effect applied to?)  

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438

1. When using a HDRI map as a background, is it possible to see somehow the dome to position the figures in the environment ?

Yes. Go to the viewport dropdown menu with the sphere icon (next to the camera menu), and choose 'NVIDIA Iray'. This draws your scene in real time. It may take a few seconds, but the image should show up, and you can move the camera, dome or objects around. With each move, the viewport will redraw the view, so it depends on how good your graphics card is.

You can also use the Aux viewport for this, but it won't match you main viewport's camera view.

• Franks said:

Hi everybody...

I've been looking for some solutions, because i wanted to use the same sky to came in the dome.

For me the best way I've found to do this is render with environment mode in "Dome and scene", then using the sky texture as a "environment map". Most of the domes are half spheres, so, I just i've opened with photoshop and mirrored the texture to make it square, and so the horizon stays in the middle of the texture... Then, just a photometric distant light for the sun with lumen in "10".

This is my dome setting:

And here is my final render (the only postwork in photoshop is levels and a little bloom effect added...

Hope can be usefull to somebody...

Hello,

yeah, I tried that, too. But the shadows of a photometric light are not als soft and nice as those of the sun light. Is there a way to fix that, too?

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888

Man. The Sun light is just such a PITA. It's also slower than lots of other options. Mutter.

• JohnDelaquioxJohnDelaquiox Posts: 1,184

I need some preset domes and hdri.

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300
    Franks said:
    yeah, I tried that, too. But the shadows of a photometric light are not als soft and nice as those of the sun light. Is there a way to fix that, too?

Use a photometric spot light, and change its emitter to Disc or Rectangle. Then make the emitter very large -- 100 by 100 would be a 1 meter square (or diameter) light source, which gives off much softer light.

Except for the sun and emissive objects, Daz chose to provide all the other standard Iray light sources as part of their "spot light," but don't let the name fool you. The spot is capable of a wide variety of light types. 

If you do want to use the sun, here's an easier way than using time of day or the sun dial: 

1. Create a new camera, and turn off its headlamp.

2. Choose Sun-Sky only for the render environment.

3. In the Environment section, click on SS Sun Node, and locate the camera you just made.

4. Select the camera in the viewport, and use it to "aim" your sunlight.

5. Go back to your render camera, and render.

• JackReasonJackReason Posts: 144
    edited August 2015
    Tobor said:
    Franks said:

Use a photometric spot light, and change its emitter to Disc or Rectangle. Then make the emitter very large -- 100 by 100 would be a 1 meter square (or diameter) light source, which gives off much softer light.

Except for the sun and emissive objects, Daz chose to provide all the other standard Iray light sources as part of their "spot light," but don't let the name fool you. The spot is capable of a wide variety of light types. 

If you do want to use the sun, here's an easier way than using time of day or the sun dial: 

1. Create a new camera, and turn off its headlamp.

2. Choose Sun-Sky only for the render environment.

3. In the Environment section, click on SS Sun Node, and locate the camera you just made.

4. Select the camera in the viewport, and use it to "aim" your sunlight.

5. Go back to your render camera, and render.

I've been getting unexpected results using cameras, lights, etc. for the SS Sun Node. The shadow direction and length is sometimes strange. The sun dial is solid and predictable every time. It is easy to aim using a top view and sometimes a side view. Set the draw style to NVIDIA Iray, select a top view, and adjusting the sun chain azimuth and elevation in the parameters tab. This shows immediate shadow length and azimuth in the viewport.

Screen Shot.png
    1390 x 792 - 2M
    Post edited by JackReason on