is it white and gold or Blue and black and can Ghastly make it?

WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,867
edited December 1969 in The Commons

http://www.buzzfeed.com/claudiakoerner/this-might-explain-why-that-dress-looks-blue-and-black-and-w#.qrkDz9jpk
the eye fooling crappy photo of a dress that is filling all my social media and news feeds up

Comments

• ChangelingChickChangelingChick Posts: 3,033
    edited December 1969

It's brown and light blue... :D

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,507
    edited December 1969

If only the internet would put half as much effort into discussing important things!

I'm honestly not sure why there's so much debate over this. In reality, it is a blue and black dress. Photographed under blown-out or weird lighting, it looks white and gold. It's interesting how different it does look in that photo, but we've got more people trying to understand the science behind this now than we do for climate change. :roll:

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

It's ugly no matter what color it is.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,867
    edited December 1969

I did not post this because I thought it was of world importance :lol:
    (and yes I too would put that one back on the rack)
    just speculating on dressing my DAZ girls in something similar for a laugh and having the colour changing effect,

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited February 2015

It's highlight-blown/white washed with a bad camera.

icprncss said:
    It's ugly no matter what color it is.

^This. lol
    Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

I admit my first reaction to the dress thing was to think about render settings, gamma correction, and postwork...

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

I guess if your just looking at the picture and not thinking about it situationally or physiologically it is a bit dull but I think it is interesting to see evidence that not every ones brain works exactly the same. The responses of people when faced with a situation where someone else sees something different in the same image is interesting as well.

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,507
    edited December 1969

I did not post this because I thought it was of world importance

Oh I know, I wasn't criticizing you for posting it. I'm just amazed at how it's taken over all of social media.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005
    edited December 1969

Personally, I see it as bright orange and neon green...
    I also noticed that within the bright orange stripes there is a distinctive pattern that resembles Abraham Lincoln hugging a hedgehog.
    I had a pair of underwear that used to change color just like that dress but it turned out to be a large gecko instead... Imagine my surprise when it ran away.
    I feel this dress issue may be something similar... Perhaps some large ugly reptile posing as an ugly dress...
    I propose we put it on someone annoying and expendable and see if it eats them. Any one of a number of celebrity Twitterers and reporters come to mind.

I wish for once before something like this grips the hearts and minds of the internet, we humans collective consider that somewhere out there in the universe there may be other civilizations that might just be writing this down in our permanent record folder...
    One day when we go to join them or request their help... It may just be stuff like this that they bring up as proof we are hopelessly dumb and refuse us.

• ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited February 2015

color change effect can easily be done. One color in the diffuse, and a different color in the Specular/velvet.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/735030/
    and the next few posts...
    It then changes color based on where the lights are. It's also kind of fun to play with.
    (EDIT)
    That's it, I need to pack up the rest of the maps and update that web-page (in progress).

Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
  • ChangelingChickChangelingChick Posts: 3,033
    edited December 1969

color change effect can easily be done. One color in the diffuse, and a different color in the Specular/velvet.
    It then changes color based on where the lights are. It's also kind of fun to play with.
    (EDIT)
    That's it, I need to pack up the rest of the maps and update that web-page (in progress).

You are evil :D

edited February 2015

(EDIT)

You are evil :D
    And I try to do good. lol. :coolhmm:
    (EDIT)
    OK, the page is a mess, tho there is a complete set of color maps for that "ZdgCloth" here.
    http://www.zarcondeegrissom.org/DazStudioStuff/ZdgDazStudioFreeStuff.html
    I have yet to make the "Starter Presets" for that set.

Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
  • ioyo2000-vpioyo2000-vp Posts: 10
    edited February 2015

I'm honestly not sure why there's so much debate over this.

The key is that it looks different to different people that don't suffer vision impairing ailments like colour blindness.

This implies that colour is subjective and this breaks a lot of people's world view in which things are clearly defined into categories based on some shared, absolute physical reality.

In other words, it's a real life example of the magic ability of supernatural creatures to look different to different people.

As we likely both know, white paper viewed under incandescent (old style) yellow bulbs should be yellow and it is if you stick a computer measuring tool on it. But our brains still say it is pure white. In other words, what we see with our eyes is a lie and this dress hammers home just how true that is, when everyone's brain lies differently about it.

Post edited by ioyo2000-vp on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited February 2015

Has anyone mentioned how the colour of the light can affect how thing look. Think of black light.

This was a perfectly normal cave until I put a couple of lights into it to simulate UV lighting.

Subterranean_Stream3.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 656K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Has anyone mentioned how the colour of the light can affect how thing look. Think of black light.

yeah, just look how different motel room beds look under black light...........

• FauvistFauvist Posts: 2,038
    edited December 1969

What colour is the dress?

colour_dress.png
    780 x 1155 - 911K
    edited December 1969

Here I did NOT change the colour, I changed ONLY the brightness.

3_colour_dress.png
    798 x 1196 - 893K
    edited December 1969
    edited December 1969

So my first impression was correct when I finally took a glance at that first post link.

This is nothing more then a camera flash way overexposing the dress. way way way overexposed to put it lightly.

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited February 2015

chohole said:
    Has anyone mentioned how the colour of the light can affect how thing look.

Randall Munroe has:
    http://xkcd.com/1492/

(For those who can't hover their cursor over the image to get the alt text: "This white-balance illusion hit so hard because it felt like someone had been playing through the Monty Hall scenario and opened their chosen door, only to find there was unexpectedly disagreement over whether the thing they'd revealed was a goat or a car.")

So, can Ghastly make it? Or maybe somebody make a MFD morph of it?

Post edited by robkelk on
  • Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,342
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Has anyone mentioned how the colour of the light can affect how thing look. Think of black light.... .

http://www.aol.com/article/2015/02/27/debates-rage-over-color-of-dress-photographed-in-rare-light/21147683/?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl4|sec1_lnk3&pLid=620450

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,951
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

yeah, just look how different motel room beds look under black light...........

EEEWWPpppp!!

• murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,439
    edited December 1969

It's clearly light-to-medium blue and brown. That's what I see every time I look at the full picture.

However, one of the thumbnails I've seen is just as clearly white and gold. Despite the fact that it's the same colors as the full picture.

Wetware is weird.

• ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528
    edited December 1969

I could probably make it if I had a full picture of the dress. Although this sort of outfit is probably more up Wilmap's alley.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

I'm honestly not sure why there's so much debate over this.

The key is that it looks different to different people that don't suffer vision impairing ailments like colour blindness.

This implies that colour is subjective and this breaks a lot of people's world view in which things are clearly defined into categories based on some shared, absolute physical reality.

In other words, it's a real life example of the magic ability of supernatural creatures to look different to different people.

As we likely both know, white paper viewed under incandescent (old style) yellow bulbs should be yellow and it is if you stick a computer measuring tool on it. But our brains still say it is pure white. In other words, what we see with our eyes is a lie and this dress hammers home just how true that is, when everyone's brain lies differently about it.

I wouldn't say it's a matter of the eye/brain "lying" about what it's seeing, so much as the brain taking a rather complex situation with far too many degrees of freedom to make a definitive answer, and settling on a "most-likely" answer, which isn't the same for everyone. In a real-life situation, a person would have other information to determine whether the light is too bright or too dim, or whether the surrounding environment is casting the dress in a "non-neutral" light. Not being a photographer (or, for that matter, a visual person at all), I don't know whether people with expertise in photography would exhibit a greater consensus than the average -- certainly I would expect a lot- of the people on this forum to have more expertise in assessing what light is doing to an image than the average person.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,867
    edited December 1969

I only see sky blue with babyshit brown lace trimming mysellf
    on PC and android

• RowanessqueRowanessque Posts: 130
    edited December 1969

It's brown and light blue... :D

see my Mum said that, and she's quite right, the photographic quality was very poor, thing Daz could do it better, ;)

• RowanessqueRowanessque Posts: 130
    edited December 1969

Is this why some people run a red light, and blame it on the dress yikes! I am never crossing the road again :D ;)

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

What drives me nuts about this is that so-called 'experts' are saying it is our brains and our perceptions. Not really. It's an overexposed pic, it's our screens. It's brightness, contrast, and gamma. I've seen the pics out there showing both and one in the middle. Look at the backgrounds. They're different brightness/contrast levels.

it looks different on my tv screen than on my monitor. And it changes on my monitor depending on my viewing angle (typical of cheap flat screens---sigh).

People are going nuts out there because they think what they see on their digital screens is reality.

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,990
    edited December 1969

My colleagues and I looked at that image yesterday. We all looked at it from the same angle, on the same screen. Most of them saw black-blue, the others gold-white, or organge white. Some saw brown-blue.
    We had a good discussion afterwards. :-)
    If something came out of it, this image opens the eyes about how much we see our view of the world as "granted". It's not, and that was a nice reminder. :-)