Is there a way to turn off the automatic image creation?

Hello,

When I render an image, it automatically creates a PNG file. Every time. Is there a way to turn this feature off? 

Thank you.

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,410
    edited October 2021

To my knowledge no. I just did some digging and didn't see anything off hand, but it doesn't mean that it can't be done. All they are is a thumbnail for viewing within your render library tab without having to go to your render folder and open with a separate app. Richard or more knowledgeable users would be the best to answer and I'm sure he'll be in. I'm still trying to catch up on all the new stuff added within the last 1.5 yrs since I was out for medical reasons.

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • elektraelektra Posts: 19

I can appreciate that, but, all those files build-up. I ususally render in a separate window, which means I can check out the render, prior to saving an image file. I did some digging, as well. I couldn't find the option, either. So, I thought I would ask here.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,861

it doesn't just do it to renders either

it does it to every image in a folder you add the path to for saving a render in the render tab.

if I decide to save some single renders that are not image series in their own folder, I will come back later and find little icon renders of every image in that folder be it photos, snips/screencaps whatever.

I once stupidly saved to my pictures folder and opened it up to a duplicated mess!

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,188
    edited October 2021

In the Render Settings pane, on the Editor tab, in the General section, there is a control called Image Path. It has a drop down control to select either a render library or a generic folder. If you select the render library option, it generates those little PNG thumbnails. If you select the folder option it does not. I always use the folder option.

Use folder not library.png
    610 x 663 - 79K
    Post edited by barbult on
  • Don't use the Render Library, point that to an empty/non-image folder (you can access the render directory manager from the Render Library pane's option menu) and click the icon to the left of the library name at the bottom of the render window and select the folder option instead of render library and select a folder that isn't in the Render Library (or just use File>Save Last Render). Of coruse you then won't have access to the Render Library.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,861

I didn't know that, thanks yes

I don't need access to a render library, I just save stuff wherever

• elektraelektra Posts: 19

Thank you, everyone.

I opted to go with Wendy's suggestion. I didn't want to lose access to the Render Library, at-this-time.

PS: Another cat fan here. smiley