another new bie question on Daz's Capabilities and Limits

cdemeritcdemerit Posts: 505

I'm wondering if what I'd like to do is even possible.

Basically, I'm writing a interactive VN with multiple story lines, and using Daz for the artwork (as I can't draw.) I am a details kind of person when watching shows or reading books, I notice the little things, especially if they don't match. since I'm writing multiple story lines, they all need to match up. my thought was to build my city 100% in Daz using primitives, and then build the scenes as needed , so that way I can more or less walk through the story to make sure the details match up. However, I determined today that the size of the city needs to be aprox. 4 sq miles, to accommodate the vast majority of agricultural needs of the city within the dome. 3 of those 4 sq miles will be mostly crops, with most of the population and buildings being in a 1 sq mile are. Is this kind of scale even possible, or am I just better off drawing it out on paper?

2nd question, somewhat related. Is there a quick Zoom function? I was working on a building, then switched to a ring. took forever to even see the ring using the mouse wheel.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,297
    edited December 1969

For a fairly quick zoom use the frame command - ctrl(Win)/cmd(Mac)-f with the item you want to zoom to selected. That places the view to frame the item, so you may need to zoom a bit more but it should at least be a start.

Building a big city out of primitive might be a bit of a pain - I'd suggest trying Hexagon or Blender, and modelling in chunks so you can load only what you need for a given shot. Don't forget to use tiling on your textures, or those will kill your system, and don't forget you can use Instances to duplicate items that are needed repeatedly without a heavy system overhead.