More Non-photorealistic Renders (NPR III)

Comments

• csaacsaa Posts: 812
    edited October 2021

Hi! I wanted to share something I was working on today.

Cheers!

"Getting Her Point Across" | Daz Assets | Blender Shading | Clip Studio Paint Post-Processing

Post edited by csaa on
  • vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,297

For those interested in seeing how my NPR styles have changed over time, here's a webcomic I've been doing since 2019 https://mystmiss.thecomicseries.com/comics/1

• vrba79 said:

For those interested in seeing how my NPR styles have changed over time, here's a webcomic I've been doing since 2019 https://mystmiss.thecomicseries.com/comics/1

Love it !! Do you layout your comic in Photoshop or using something else ?

Thanks! For a while I was using some Comic Book making program, but it was very clunky, and made pages take a lot longer than they needed to, so I cut out the middle man and started laying them out in Photoshop directly.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924

vrba79 said:

Thanks! For a while I was using some Comic Book making program, but it was very clunky, and made pages take a lot longer than they needed to, so I cut out the middle man and started laying them out in Photoshop directly.

Affinity Publisher is good.

Loveley renders everwhere in this thread.

• Headwax said:

vrba79 said:

I have a copy of AP , would you mind to share link where I can learn about using AP as Comic layout app . It will be cool since I`m also using  AD more than AI this day

• TugpsxTugpsx Posts: 732

These may be of interest for your comicbook layouts. Good starting point and mony more are available. Digital Art Live has a great webinar on layouts and applications related to comicbooks.

Comicbook applications
    ================================
    https://www.clipstudio.net/en/index_02/
    https://moho.lostmarble.com/
    http://plasq.com/downloads/comic-life-desktop/

edited October 2021

Tugpsx said:

@Tugpsx,

I've heard of Moho before but hadn't looked at their product for 2D animation until you mentioned it. Something that may be related, Synfig - https://www.synfig.org/

== Added ==

I forgot to point out that there's a 3D Comic Book Tips and Pictures discussion in the Daz forums. I've seen others remark that that thread is a good resource for Daz-comics production.

Cheers!

Post edited by csaa on
  • juvesatrianijuvesatriani Posts: 556
    edited October 2021

Right now  im thinking about start doing motion comic . Not full blown animation ones . Just 2 or 3 pose animation with carefully designed camera movement tricks or like Tokyo Pop Shotgun rider series

Still wrapped my head how to simpilfy all workflow needed. And if possible only using DAZ and card board BG tricks because I want to utilizing pwToon .

Another route maybe Rendering Several character shots with pwToon, then slicing/vectorize it so I can use 2D solution like RIVE - RI Character animation 4 or if not back to AE 

Or you guys already doing motion comics ? My ears open for another ideas ;)

Post edited by juvesatriani on
    edited October 2021

Linkup with @griffin avid from Digital Art Live. The classes started a few weeks ago but he has an excellent comicbook creation webinar where you are thought about concept, storybook, narative, layout, lettering, special effects and a ton more.

Post edited by Tugpsx on
    edited October 2021

Moho is pretty good. I liked Motion Artist better, because it was geared more towards multi-frame motion comics. Sadly Smith Micro jettisoned it and all of their other graphics applications. It is no longer available anywhere. This is sad, because it was a VERY inexpensive way to make motion comics. I guess you could still do some of that stuff with Moho Debut. Don't quote me on that though.

Post edited by vrba79 on

All this talk about comics and animated cartoons got me inspired ...

"Cornered but Unbowed" | Daz assets | Blender cel shading | Clip Studio Paint post-processing

Thanks for your interest.

Cheers!

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924

juvesatriani said:

Headwax said:

vrba79 said:

I have a copy of AP , would you mind to share link where I can learn about using AP as Comic layout app . It will be cool since I`m also using  AD more than AI this day

Hi sorry just saw this.

Not many good links I think.

How to Create a Children’s Landscape Picture Book In Affinity Publisher - YouTube

Was a good start.

The big thing with AP is you can use almost anything as an image frame.

Also you don't save the images within the afpub doc, you link to them. Whenever you change the image it will be update in Publisher.

Make sure you place an image frame on the page then drag and drop the image into it - rather than just drop the image onto the page.

Affinity Publisher - Picture frame tools - YouTube

Best thing to do is launch into a project. I'm 50 pages into an 80 page graphic novel and you discover things on the way.

You can also access affinity photo (some of it ) from within affinity publisher to add image masks etc.

You can also set font styles so if you have all your dialogue in one font style you cant change it all toge5ther by changing the hierachical font style/

AP falls down in dialogue balloons tails. A bit fiddly. Sound effects etc.  For this you could export a png page an load it up in eg clipstudio to do the balloons.

AP does however keep your text with the ballloon, so if you make the ballloon wider or narrower the text will change too within the balloon box.

hope this helps a little

edited October 2021

@csaa I`ve found this YT video for material overide , maybe useful for your style . I believe you can use LBS ( BW style) as Master overide with less steps

edited October 2021

@juvesatriani,

Thanks for the video tutorial. Yes, it's useful to generate line art particularly as a first step to hand-drawn inking and coloring. Blender certainly is great for producing line art images from 3D scene. The video that you shared, however, uses Cycles. If I'm right, LBS works only with Eevee. So ... we're talking about different techniques here.

I don't fully understand the underlying math, but LBS has its own lighting for its shaders. The system uses light linking, which means you can apply different light sources to each material surface. This gives you the flexibility to adopt differnt light angles, light-and-shadow intensities, and even color hues. It's certainly different from Daz's PBR lighting. With LBS's layered effects ('ala Photoshop), the workflow is more like mixing colors, blending their alpha masks and adjusting their opacities. 

Going back to line art, LBS lets you apply an outline to each object; alternately, thanks to light linking, you can set a custom outline to each material surface that constitutes an object. As an example, the outline is pronounced on the skin surfaces in this image below. Minus the coloring, the scene would be a basic line art.

Cheers!

juvesatriani said:

@csaa I`ve found this YT video for material overide , maybe useful for your style . I believe you can use LBS ( BW style) as Master overide with less steps

Post edited by csaa on
    edited October 2021

@csaa I think you`re right about LBS and eevee .

Maybe it will be useful for  getting outline from Object or props with lots surfaces or sub parts . Instead doing for each surfaces or sub mesh , doing in one swoop still bargain even in Cycles  . In my case that trick seem faster than Freestyle which I`m always used to generating outline from Eevee multipass render

edited October 2021

You guys are aware of an "Outline Render" option in the scripted render section correct? Have you tried to see if it is of any use to your needs.

This feature has been there since Studio 3 or maybe back to Studio 2.5 but with all the new render options it is a lost feature.

Playing around you can get some cool effects.

ScriptedOutline1.PNG
    688 x 853 - 76K
    ScriptedOutline2.PNG
    692 x 875 - 78K
    ScriptedOutline3.PNG
    627 x 458 - 38K
    Post edited by Tugpsx on

Tugpsx said:

You guys are aware of an "Outline Render" option in the scripted render section correct? Have you tried to see if it is of any use to your needs.

This feature has been there since Studio 3 or maybe back to Studio 2.5 but with all the new render options it is a lost feature.

@Tugpsx,

No, you got me there. I haven't used Daz for more than two years, so I haven't explored all the nooks and crannies.

Thanks for the suggestion. Will look into that.

Cheers!

edited October 2021

@tugpsx yeah thats very usefull for NPR ,especially if we want to work exclusively in DAZ Studio .

Actually I`ve used it for all of my (pwToon) Multipass renders or sometimes as Geoshell Outline alternative when I have busy scene ( lots of objects or sub mesh) and I`m too lazy to create Outline Geoshell for each of those objects :) 

I attached my starting point for Outline render setting .I give them different color so in Photoshop I can control which outline more dominant over another .

If anyone interest  you can check my recent Multipass PSD file  in here .  Try to Play with Layer Blend Mode - opacity or different Shadow Passes

I have plan to redo my Multipass tutorial but still have no time to record the video guide 

Have fun 

Outline Render Setting.jpg
    507 x 922 - 246K
    Controlling Outline.jpg
    383 x 294 - 95K

Taking advantage of G1's ability to mix feminine and masculine morphs. You can do the "Anime pretty boy" look super easy this way!

• vrba79 said:

Taking advantage of G1's ability to mix feminine and masculine morphs. You can do the "Anime pretty boy" look super easy this way!

Great character kitbash @vrba79 

edited October 2021

New PwToon

Found cool Blender Environment props in Sketchhub  Export as OBJ and tinkering with pwToon , then give NIK in Photoshop to get anime look

New pwToon.jpg
    1997 x 563 - 1M
  • pavsikakyjpavsikakyj Posts: 139
    edited October 2021

Want to share an amazing discovery here. G'MIC free plugin for Photoshop and Gimp. It is so powerful and diverse, that I don't need anything else.  

Untitled-1.jpg
    729 x 943 - 61K
    Post edited by pavsikakyj on
    edited October 2021

Metal Post

Another Blender model . Bring into DAZ and get pw pwToon and Photoshop Treatment

Metal Post.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 2M
    Metal.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 2M
    MetalBW.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 2M
  • FirePro9FirePro9 Posts: 455

pavsikakyj That G'MIC filter plugin is a great find, thanks for sharing!  Just installed in GIMP and playing around with it.  Do you know which filter you used for that image you posted above?

• FirePro9 said:

pavsikakyj That G'MIC filter plugin is a great find, thanks for sharing!  Just installed in GIMP and playing around with it.  Do you know which filter you used for that image you posted above?

I use 6 or 7 of them plus 2 native photoshop filters: unsharpen mask + smart sharpen. Besides I tune PWToon shaders, use UE2 + mesh lighting

edited October 2021

Metal DUde

Another Variant From Metal Dude Render

1024 x 1024 - 493K

These renders in the thread are awesome. Love the Rocker. Used G'Mic inthe past, it has some nifty features that can be used in layers to enhance your images. Keep in mind they are distructive so keep a backup of the original.

A lot of the fantasy-themed renders I make are used in the D&D game I run. As with any role playing game, theater-of-the-mind plays a big role in the storytelling, and images help a lot. So in this scene two characters, a dragon born cleric and a gnome wizard, sit down at a tavern. While they wait for other party members to arrive, they order a meal -- a big one served by the tiefling bar maid.

Thanks for your interest.

Cheers!

"Meeting Over Beer and Roast Pork" | Daz assets | Blender Eevee cel shading | CSP editing

• FirePro9 said:

Here are some screen shots left after I completed my PS action

Bloom.png
    835 x 430 - 26K
    Bloom2.png
    837 x 415 - 26K
    Comic book.png
    558 x 610 - 22K
    poster edges.png
    846 x 376 - 26K
    step1.png
    839 x 268 - 18K
    Step2.png