When's "Daz3D for iPad Pro"???

kodokuluxurykodokuluxury Posts: 4
edited August 2021 in Daz Studio Discussion

[When's "Daz3D for iPad Pro"?]  When???

Edited for Please put your question in the post body and the title - Daz 3D Forums

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,090

Honnestly, probably never.

• When begs the question of whether.

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822

Soon as Daz3D wants to lose money by setting peoples' iPad Pro on fire.

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339
    edited August 2021

While the new iPads should be capable of running  DAZ just fine (with the incredibly poor performance of iRay rendering) the code required for the iPad is really very, very different from the computer's. It's not simply a matter of saying "iOS" instead of "MacOS" when compiling.The amount of work just to get version 5 working at all leaves no time nor money for publishing for a much, much, much smaller market; I think Linux would be a more profitable market.

That said, from what I've seen with other programs, you should be able to run it just fine using Sidecar, once it's running under Big Sur.

-- Walt Sterdan

Post edited by wsterdan on
  • MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,829

IPad for DAZ Studio most likeley will remain a dream. For running DAZ studio, you can never have too much computing power. I doubt, that anybody would get happy with an IPad by that.
    What I really like to see is, to monitor render processes online, in this case as an IPad app.
    E.g. when you're at work, and you like to check, how your renderings at your home computer are going.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,623

Masterstroke said:

IPad for DAZ Studio most likeley will remain a dream. For running DAZ studio, you can never have too much computing power. I doubt, that anybody would get happy with an IPad by that.

Or screen space... I would be climbing the walls if I would even have to work with just one monitor instead of the current 3 monitor setup. 

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,813

Richard Haseltine said:

When begs the question of whether.

To say nothing of "should".

Realistically, it seems unlikely. The processor in the iPad Pro is certainly powerful, but the form factor of the device is not really optimized for sustained 100% CPU use: no fans, no empty spaces to help dissipate heat and provide airflow. I'd think it wouldn't take long before it needed to throttle the CPU to prevent overheating (or melt into a puddle on your lap, which is also less than ideal).

Somewhat to my amazement, I've just discovered that there is actually a Qt library for iOS (Qt is the framework used by DAZ Studio to do some of the heavy lifting required to make a cross-platform application), but as far as I can tell it only supports iOS 13. There's no mention of iPadOS, let alone the current iPadOS 14. I don't know if the current iPad Pros can run the older OS.

On the other hand, it does apparently support tvOS and watchOS, so maybe we should start pushing for DAZ Studio on the Apple Watch.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,304
    edited August 2021

Whether or not iPads ever get their own version of DS, I sure would like it a whole lot if Daz put some effort into making DS more friendly to touch-screens. I've used DS extensively on Surface Pro, and it's an exercise in futility to touch the screen at all, whereas C4D works quite well that way.

Post edited by Gordig on
  • Yeah, would love that ... especially for NON rendering ... I could use it to create some scenes and render later on PC (2x RTX) heart

edited September 2023

While I was eager to see an iPad or Android version of DAZ Studio years ago, I've let that dream pass. My original goal was to be able to use DAZ Studio much like Poser was original designed to do, load up characters and a scent and render out a small render to use as a basis for making things like online comics using  apps like Comic Life and various drawing and painting apps, all on my iPad.

The high-end iPads are many, many times more capable than they were a decade ago, and I'm using a MacBook Air instead (more memory, more storage space, and already runs DAZ Studio just fine).

One of the reasons I was enthusiastic back then was because, in March 2012, DAZ had a very light version of DAZ Studio working on an iPad and posted samples for game and developers to try and lure them into looking more seriously at DAZ assets.

Here's the samples they posted to the forum back in March 2012 (including an animation which, sadly, uploads as static).

--- Walt Sterdan

origimage_1_3315730.jpg
    450 x 600 - 25K
    origimage_2_3315730.jpg
    450 x 600 - 21K
    origimage_3_3315730.jpg
    450 x 600 - 21K
    origimage_4_3315730.jpg
    450 x 600 - 28K
    origimage_5_3315730-animated.gif
    230 x 230 - 161K
    DAZ iPad Post.png
    3456 x 1858 - 463K
    Post edited by wsterdan on
  • Way back when I was a developer for Apple's Newton devices, I created a variety of multimedia apps.  My 2 most widely appreciated ones were the Newton Movie Player and nFlight (3D vector graphics flight sim/game.)  I did hear back from several folks who actually used another of my apps, NanoCAD.  It was a simple vector graphics creation app.  You used the pen to tap out connected points and then extrude or lathe the profile.  After the shape was generated you could freely spin your object in 3D space.  Those few engineers actually used it in meetings to do simple parts prototyping to demonstrate their ideas.  That was cool.  For those who don't know, the Newton family of devices were mostly handheld mini-tablets with a pen interface circa early to late 1990s.

To come back to Walt's point, folks didn't think you could even do that stuff on a handheld AA-battery powered device.  I proved them wrong. :)  There was a niche (very small) that was enthusiastic about small, lightweight versions of 3D, VR, video, photo slideshow, text-to-speech, etc. apps.  They made for great demos back in the day.

I'd love to have a fairly robust (full?) version of DAZ Studio running on my 12.9" iPad Pro (M2 processor).  But I'm happy to have my Mac version running just fine even under Rosetta.  Can't wait to get an Apple Silicon native version of DS!  Who knows, maybe we'll get a macOS iPad from Apple one day that can run any Mac software.  That'd be super great! :)

Lee

I'd always wanted a Newton, and almost bought a used eMate 300, which I thought was pretty dang cool for the time.

-- Walt Sterdan

• 2 years ago when this thread started we didn't have apps on Discord and Google Colab using powerful Nvidia GPUs

now anyone with a phone can use AI based generators on a toilet break

so

a cloudbased DAZ app on the App store or Google Play with free posing in 3 outfits a day Filament drawcall with ads, pay for full iray cloud rendering is not crazy

• ipad has no problem with forger or nomad ... fforger is already integrating c4d features, nomad is extremely powerful, I think some people are underestimating the ipad's capabilities

• robertswwwrobertswww Posts: 784
    edited May 7

Now is the time for Daz Studio 5 to come to iPad Pro... Why now you might ask:

Today, the new iPad Pro with OLED screen and M4 chip was released.

Apple Event - May 7 (TRT: 41-min):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1J38FlDKxo
    https://www.apple.com/apple-events/

Features: 
    Hardware-accelerated ray tracing render (4x faster rendering than M2)
    Thunderbolt / USB 4 (up to 40Gb/s)
    New Apple Pencil Pro (https://www.apple.com/apple-pencil/#features)
    https://www.apple.com/ipad-pro/
    https://www.apple.com/ipad-pro/specs/

Also announced:
    ZBrush is coming to iPad Pro later this year:
    https://zbrushforipad.com/

Post edited by robertswww on
  • tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,440

I'd love a smaller version of DS for my iPad, like just for the characters to play with, maybe a simple lighting set up plus background. I could tinker with morphs to get the face just right in between stuff, that would be SO amazing.

Been meaning to get Nomad as well, I heard good things about it. But somehow, my apple gift card's always already spent when I remember it.

• chris-2599934chris-2599934 Posts: 1,784

Masterstroke said:

What I really like to see is, to monitor render processes online, in this case as an IPad app.
    E.g. when you're at work, and you like to check, how your renderings at your home computer are going.

I used to do exactly that with Google Remote Desktop on my phone. Leave a render running when I went to work, check it on my phone later, maybe pick another camera and start a new render. Actually posing a scene using a finger-on-a-phone interface was not really possible, but dealing with already-posed content certainly was. If you're remoting from another PC it's just like using the rendering PC directly.

So long as your rendering machine is switched on and connected to the internet, remote desktop lets you effectively "run Daz" on any device that will talk to it, The only limitations are the speed of the connection and the nature of the user interface on the remoting device.

• TBorNotTBorNot Posts: 363

Don't look at the negative remarks, realize that there is now a market for an iPad or Mac version of a 3D modeler that is not being met.  Opportunity knocks.

• alan bard newcomeralan bard newcomer Posts: 2,119

PerttiA said:

Masterstroke said:

Or screen space... I would be climbing the walls if I would even have to work with just one monitor instead of the current 3 monitor setup. 

I was using three monitors with pagemaker etc back in the early 90s on a mac.. 
    But can I use a single monitor with DAZ might be fun to try with a 72 inch monitor but curently the 40 and 32 and 28 work okay but need to upgrade the 28 to a 32 at least.
    Daz on my iWatch... 368x484 pixels? That would be challenging ... OTOH the text displayed on the watch face is larger than the type on my 40 inch monitor. 

• robsonmusicrobsonmusic Posts: 0

How did you manage to install it on an IPad, though?

• With the M4 in the new (at the time of writing) iPad Pro, the iPad Pro is (currently) more powerful than a MacBook Pro from a hardware perspective... Though as many have pointed out, it still fails from a software perspective.

Personally, I prefer to use a laptop and hope for the day we see a native version of Daz Studio for macOS at some point; but I think that long-term, Daz Productions should be considering a version for the iPad Pro, because it's not a question of "if" Apple will push it as a laptop replacement over MacBooks, but "when".

Obviously few - if any - professional content producers are going to want to work on a 11-13-inch iPad Pro... But loads of Everyday Folks are more than happy to use an 11-13-inch iPad as a laptop replacement, and that includes many Daz users.