[Released] Thickener plugin [commercial]

Comments

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,948
    edited September 2021

Alberto said:

takezo_3001 said:

I noticed you updated the plugin, what was updated?

See the section What’s new, page 17 of the manual.

Oh, thanks yeah that should have been the first place I looked didn't think of that! :)

EDIT: The only manual I found was the on-site product readme, the manual did not come with the install file...

Forget the above post, I messed up! Thanks, Barbult for setting me straight!

Screenshot 2021-09-21 091229.png
    1209 x 727 - 126K
    Screenshot 2021-09-21 091138.png
    1109 x 677 - 128K
    Post edited by takezo_3001 on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,224
    edited September 2021

You are posting screenshots of the wrong product. Thickener does come with a nice PDF manual. You can find links to plugin manuals from inside Daz Studio, too, in the Help menu (F1).

Screenshot 2021-09-21 12.22.30.png
    516 x 539 - 15K
    Screenshot 2021-09-21 122803.jpg
    1211 x 822 - 204K
    Post edited by barbult on
  • barbult said:

You are posting screenshots of the wrong product. Thickener does come with a nice PDF manual. You can find links to plugin manuals from inside Daz Studio, too, in the Help menu (F1).

Bloody hell I'm an idiot, that's what I get for browsing two product threads Thanks for setting me straight...

• Just bought the thickener plugin, and have not read the PDF yet. I'm primarily interested in using it on both hair and clothing to help with stylized/toon style renders. I used it here on the hair, the necklace, and the dress. 

Thought I would share in the event this is not known to all, but I was able to export the new thick dress to Marvelous Designer and bring that back in as a morph (since that technically exported as 'base'). This was applied to the new geometry as I deleted the old. Might be a way to get more polygons for the MD simulations to get around the base export limit :) Took a long time with my GPU though.

seanalace.jpg
    1560 x 1828 - 2M
    edited September 2021

As usual, I am just playing around. I used Gescon to split the glass jar, hid the Interior surfaces that were created and applied the thickener to the Exterior surfaces.

Gescon Glass Jar cut and thickened.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 681K
    Post edited by barbult on
  • 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470

Am interested in this plugin...and was looking for a thread of examples, but this thread was not showing up in Daz Deals.  

Adding a link to the product, so it will be added to the Forum References:  https://www.daz3d.com/thickener-plug-in  smiley

• AlbertoAlberto Posts: 1,383

3dOutlaw said:

Am interested in this plugin...and was looking for a thread of examples, but this thread was not showing up in Daz Deals.  

Adding a link to the product, so it will be added to the Forum References:  https://www.daz3d.com/thickener-plug-in  smiley

Thank you! I'll ask DAZ about it.

In the meantime, I added the link to the youtube video page https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DDHT1rQf6E. This video is embedded in the Thickener store page, although to see the link you have to click Watch on Youtube.

• jbarooshjbaroosh Posts: 33
    edited February 2022

Is it possible to create a Dynamic thicken object that keeps a clothing's smoothing modifier properties? Every time I try to create the dynamic object it duplicates the clothing item as if it didn't have any clothing modifiers on it at all. This is a problem because without the smoothing modifiers to begin with the clothes don't fit well on certain characters (such as bulkier/muscular characters).

I've attached two pictures to demonstrate what's happening. In the first picture there's a white boot on a leg that has smoothing modifiers applied to it so that the top of the boot is straight. However, in the second picture I applied the Dynamic thickened object but it didn't copy over any smoothing modifiers at all, as a result the top of the boot is all wavy and not straight at all.

Earlier I did create a Static thickened object after the boot had the smoothing modifier applied which worked, but then if the pose of the character changed I couldn't easily enable and disable it to reset the position like I could with a Dynamic thickened object. How come the Static thickened object can keep the smoothing modifier of clothing but the Dynamic thickened object can't? If there's a way for the Dynamic thickened object to inherit the smoothing modifiers of the original clothing then it would be perfect.

Smoothing Modifier.png
    597 x 797 - 292K
    Dynamic Object Removed Smoothing Modifier.png
    597 x 797 - 257K
    Post edited by jbaroosh on

jbaroosh said:

Is it possible to create a Dynamic thicken object that keeps a clothing's smoothing modifier properties? Every time I try to create the dynamic object it duplicates the clothing item as if it didn't have any clothing modifiers on it at all. This is a problem because without the smoothing modifiers to begin with the clothes don't fit well on certain characters (such as bulkier/muscular characters).

I've attached two pictures to demonstrate what's happening. In the first picture there's a white boot on a leg that has smoothing modifiers applied to it so that the top of the boot is straight. However, in the second picture I applied the Dynamic thickened object but it didn't copy over any smoothing modifiers at all, as a result the top of the boot is all wavy and not straight at all.

Earlier I did create a Static thickened object after the boot had the smoothing modifier applied which worked, but then if the pose of the character changed I couldn't easily enable and disable it to reset the position like I could with a Dynamic thickened object. How come the Static thickened object can keep the smoothing modifier of clothing but the Dynamic thickened object can't? If there's a way for the Dynamic thickened object to inherit the smoothing modifiers of the original clothing then it would be perfect.

Let me see if I can do something about it, although it could take some time.

Anyway, you can apply the smoothing modifier directly to the Dynamic thickened object.

• jbarooshjbaroosh Posts: 33
    edited February 2022

Alberto said:

jbaroosh said:

Let me see if I can do something about it, although it could take some time.

Anyway, you can apply the smoothing modifier directly to the Dynamic thickened object.

That would be wonderful if the smoothing modifier could be added to the Dynamic thickened object! It's the one thing that's preventing me from using the Dynamic object feature properly.

I actually did try applying the smoothing modifier directly to the Dynamic thickened object and the results made the object worse (probably because the object is already much thicker), the smoothing doesn't seem to work the way it's supposed to on the new Dynamic object.

Post edited by jbaroosh on
  • When creating a static thickened object with selected surfaces only, is there still supposed to be geometry in the thickened object for the non-selected surfaces? No matter what I do, I get geometry for the entire thickened object, and have to slide the opacity on the surfaces I didn't want to 0. I was pretty sure this worked at some point before, maybe I'm forgetting to do something. I'm just selecting the surfaces in the surface tab before thickening, is there some other step?

thoreandan said:

When creating a static thickened object with selected surfaces only, is there still supposed to be geometry in the thickened object for the non-selected surfaces? No matter what I do, I get geometry for the entire thickened object, and have to slide the opacity on the surfaces I didn't want to 0. I was pretty sure this worked at some point before, maybe I'm forgetting to do something. I'm just selecting the surfaces in the surface tab before thickening, is there some other step?

I think that is how it is intended to work. Your thickened object is the complete geometry. Your selected surfaces are thick and the unselected ones are not. Hide the original object in the Scene pane and you have a complete "thickened" object to take its place. 

• barbult said:

thoreandan said:

When creating a static thickened object with selected surfaces only, is there still supposed to be geometry in the thickened object for the non-selected surfaces? No matter what I do, I get geometry for the entire thickened object, and have to slide the opacity on the surfaces I didn't want to 0. I was pretty sure this worked at some point before, maybe I'm forgetting to do something. I'm just selecting the surfaces in the surface tab before thickening, is there some other step?

I think that is how it is intended to work. Your thickened object is the complete geometry. Your selected surfaces are thick and the unselected ones are not. Hide the original object in the Scene pane and you have a complete "thickened" object to take its place. 

Oh, right, that's what I was forgetting: that the thickened static object takes place of the old one entirely, and the non-selected surfaces remain thin. Thank you!

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,408

Hi, I hope this thread is still alive! I've run into a problem where I have nicely thickened a dForce coat to my desired strength, but then the thicker geometry sort of eats up all the buttons of the coat that are attached as rigid follow nodes. Is there any way to prevent this from happening? Thanks and greets!

You could use a negative thickening value, so the thickening goes toward the character instead of away from the character. And/or you could move each rigid follow node after thickening.

barbult said:

You could use a negative thickening value, so the thickening goes toward the character instead of away from the character. And/or you could move each rigid follow node after thickening.

Thanks for your suggestions! Unfortunately, the garment doesn't seem to like the negative thickening much, I get some really unsightly disturbances at a few edges. Trying now to thicken only the cuffs and the collar and leave the rest be, so the buttons will not be affected. Still getting some noise around the edges where the cuffs meet the cloth, but at least the buttons are visible. I wouldn't much like to move them one by one every time, cause there's 7 of them wink. - Does the problem with the rigid followers appear, too when one uses a dynamic thickened object, would you know? I haven't quite figured that out yet. 

I quit using dynamic thickened object, so I don't know. Waiting until the pose is finalized and using static thickening right before render worked better for me.

barbult said:

I quit using dynamic thickened object, so I don't know. Waiting until the pose is finalized and using static thickening right before render worked better for me.

Yeah, it does work much better for me, too. I will try more with the dynamic objects when I find the time, though, if only to dig further into that rigid nodes business. Otherwise, I'm really happy with the plugin, the clothes look SO much better, especially coats and such. 

Yes, It is one of my favorite tools, too.

• LoonyLoony Posts: 1,808

Hey... I just test the plugin and... I wanted to make a underpant thicket, but it's now a static object, how can I use the plugin on clothes who keep be rigged? I didn't saw a "clothing" category in the PDF.

Loony said:

Hey... I just test the plugin and... I wanted to make a underpant thicket, but it's now a static object, how can I use the plugin on clothes who keep be rigged? I didn't saw a "clothing" category in the PDF.

There isn't a clothing category because the plugin processes any node the same way.

Thickener cannot keep the rigging. It creates a new node without rigging.

However, you can create a Dynamic thickened object that responds to the shape changes in the original object.

edited September 2023

Alberto said:

Loony said:

There isn't a clothing category because the plugin processes any node the same way.

Thickener cannot keep the rigging. It creates a new node without rigging.

However, you can create a Dynamic thickened object that responds to the shape changes in the original object.

I still try to figure it out, how to bring the thick cloth to the exact same position... but it doesn't work ;( When I use the exact same values it does fly somewhere out of the room, when I use my script "Snap to object"

https://sites.google.com/site/mcasualsdazscripts2/prestosnap

It does also not work, it does move it nearby but not on spot 1:1.

Can you make an example video? And does it work when the char is already in Pose? I often add clothes while a char is positioned.

Edit: Okay one more "problem": Even if it works similar to an instance, it doesn't copy the meshgrabber or build in morphs, so I have to morph all new >_<.

Edit2: I tried now dforce and even when the original product was great in dforce, the thickened object moves very bad ;(

Post edited by Loony on
  • Double-sided objects, which is what thickener is making, do not dForce well.

Richard Haseltine said:

Double-sided objects, which is what thickener is making, do not dForce well.

Yeah, the result was very bad ;(

It appears that you don't understand how the product is intended to work. It is not designed to change your thin rigged clothing into thick rigged clothing. The thickened object is also not something that you should apply dForce to.

The easiest way to use it is to not apply it until your scene is done and you are ready to render the final pose and morph of the character. Then apply a static thickener to the clothing and leave it alone. Render. If you need to change something later, delete the thickened object, change the scene and apply the static thickener again at the very end.

If that workflow doesn't satisfy you. you can try the dynamic thickener, but you need to understand that the dynamic thickener is not itself intended to be simulated with dForce. You simulate the original item and synchronize the dynamic thickened object with the original. If you resimulate the original, you have to resynchronize the dynamic thickened object with it. You will need to read up on it in the manual.

barbult said:

It appears that you don't understand how the product is intended to work. It is not designed to change your thin rigged clothing into thick rigged clothing. The thickened object is also not something that you should apply dForce to.

The easiest way to use it is to not apply it until your scene is done and you are ready to render the final pose and morph of the character. Then apply a static thickener to the clothing and leave it alone. Render. If you need to change something later, delete the thickened object, change the scene and apply the static thickener again at the very end.

If that workflow doesn't satisfy you. you can try the dynamic thickener, but you need to understand that the dynamic thickener is not itself intended to be simulated with dForce. You simulate the original item and synchronize the dynamic thickened object with the original. If you resimulate the original, you have to resynchronize the dynamic thickened object with it. You will need to read up on it in the manual.

That is confusing... I tried to parent the object to the original clothe but it didn't fit correct and I thought it's made for dforce? O_o

edited September 2023

Loony said:

barbult said:

That is confusing... I tried to parent the object to the original clothe but it didn't fit correct and I thought it's made for dforce? O_o

Take a look at the attached .duf file. It contains the Genesis figure with cloth included in the Started Essentials. The Dynamic thickened object uses the TShirt as its model (in its Geometric node property). 

If you are creating a static scene only, and want to change the pose of the Genesis figure, you have to re-synchronize the Dynamic thickened object by disabling and then re-enabling it (clicking on the Enable property) after finishing the new new pose. Try some poses to see the effect.

The procedure is the same if you want to use dForce in a proper cloth: only apply dForce to the original cloth, then re-synchronize the Dynamic object.

You can see nothing is parented.

duf
    duf
    ShirtExample.duf
    Post edited by Alberto on

I will take a look in it, later. Currently busy.

But thanks for helping me to understand it :)

I could still not look in it, too much to do, just wanted to say that... >_<

edited October 2023

"If you are creating a static scene only, and want to change the pose of the Genesis figure, you have to re-synchronize the Dynamic thickened object by disabling and then re-enabling it (clicking on the Enable property) after finishing the new new pose. Try some poses to see the effect."

Ohhh that is the magic man :D

I loaded now finally your scene and was confused, the Tshirt was not visible, i pressed that button and it appeared :D

Thank you, I think I understand it now.

But in my last test in my already posed scene, did the item not appear on the same spot, it did appear somewhere else, I tried to zero the positions, I tried to snap on pose nothing worked O_o

Edit: I just tested it again, when I used Meshgrabber to create morphs and then use the thickener, the "clone" get's positioned slightly different...

It gets fixed by deleting the thickener completely and adding it new to that object, I don't know how it get buggy :/

Okay found the bug: when you load the cloth with a used morph slider and then change the morph slider as example to 0%, the "cloned" cloth will move to a different position.

step1.png
    448 x 365 - 49K
    Post edited by Loony on