Accurate gemstones - Commercial

kevinausmankevinausman Posts: 2
edited July 2021 in Art Studio

​I know there are several packs of gemstones available, both in terms of shapes and shaders, but it seems that many of the resources for accurate gemstone cuts on 3D models have disappeared from the internet. I have developed a relatively straightforward Blender workflow for taking the facet diagrams that jewlers use and generating accurate 3D models of those gemstone cuts. I have also played with the shaders and have found some ways to make them quite physically accurate in terms of refraction, dispersion, reflection, etc. Here is an example using my diamond shader and the "standard brilliant" gemstone cut, which is probably the most commonly used cut for diamonds in the real world. I have to say that I am quite pleased with the results (rotating animated gif with mirrors to see multiple angles attached).

My question is this: would there be a market for a product, or a series of products, where I package my shaders (including diamond, ruby, emerald, sapphire, and more) with a variety of accurate real-world gemstone cuts based on the facet diagrams used by jewelers? If this is something that would interest you, here are some follow-up questions:

Because the index-of-refraction of the various gemstones is different, different cuts are MUCH better for different gemstones. If you use the wrong cut, then a lot of the internal reflections are lost and the gem appears dull rather than brilliant. I think it would therefore make sense to have a diamond series, a ruby series, etc. as separate sets of products. How many cuts would you want per product? 1? 5? 10? 20? Would you want them grouped by type (e.g., a product with 10 round cuts -- the "standard brilliant" in the example picture is a round cut --, a separate product with oval cuts, a separate product with heart cuts, etc.), or would you prefer each package to be a mixture? How much would you be willing to pay for such a package?

How about settings for the gemstones? In the real world, they can be set into rings, earrings, necklaces, bracelets, etc., of course. Would you want such settings for the gemstones to be a separate product (so you could get the gems separately) or part of the gemstone package? How does that change the prices you are willing to pay?

Any feedback at all is welcome.

Clarification: Daz Studio and iRay would be the target. The geometries would work anywhere, so that could be a more general thing, but I doubt the shaders would translate.

Edit: Attempting to embed the animated gif.

Rotating gemstone

Post edited by kevinausman on

Comments

• Moved to Art Studio as it is not a Product Suggestion.

Please note that commercial threads are allowed only for products that are intended for the Daz store.

• Thank you for moving the thread; I wasn't sure where it belonged.

In addition, the file I attached was an animated gif, and yet it seems to now be a static image. Is there a way to add the animation?

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,050

You didn't mention what software or render engine you are targeting. I imagine you are looking at Daz Studio and Iray, but you should probably be specific.
    I wouldn't be interested in bare gemstones. I would only be interested in complete jewelry accessories that look significantly more realistic than what is already available. I would want to see promo renders of jewelry on characters to see how they look in lighting suitable for character rendering, including HDRI lighting. I would look for a product that has multiple gem options and multiple setting metals in the same product - something similar to the old product Jeweled Finery. I would be attracted to a price in the $15 to $20 range, similar to esha jewelry products. I would expect easy to use rigging on necklaces and earrings, like esha does. Options for both male and female would be a bonus. Good luck with your product and I hope to see it in the store.

• barbult said:

You didn't mention what software or render engine you are targeting. I imagine you are looking at Daz Studio and Iray, but you should probably be specific.

Thank you! Your assumptions are correct, and I have updated the original post with that information.

Thank you as well for your perspective on what you would be looking for in a product; I greatly appreciate it! 

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,528
    edited July 2021
  • Thank you for posting this suggested product. I, for one, would like to see a more accurate gemstone product. I've tried several and they produce okay to good results but are missing the scientific specs you describe in your potential offering. so I say yes. As for the other questions: each gemstone separate package with various cuts included such as a basic pack with potential add-ons for more gem specific cuts etc. I am not a big fan of most of the settings offered so unless there are built in morphing so some sort that would not interest me. Price is a  tricky question to answer it would definitely depend on a number of facets (get it!) such as number of cuts, quality of renders, flexability of use and additional inclusions. Anyway, add my meager voice as a thumbs up.