Importing OBJ files

mikael-aronssonmikael-aronsson Posts: 546
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hi!

For some reason Carrara does not import any texture maps when I import an .obj file (exported from DS),
I can add the texture map after the import and all works fine, now, I tried to copy the texture file to a different directory and updated the mtl file with the correct path and all worked fine.

The only difference is that the new directory path do not contain any spaces, please do not say that the Carrara obj importer don't handle spaces in the texture path ? it is 2015 now, this problem do not exist any more please!!!

Comments

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

Sorry dude. I just tried with an obj file with and without spaces in its name, and no materials imported when there's a space, even in the name. But materials when there's no space.

Yeah, this is 2015. But this is Carrara, too... :)

I've got a whole list of head scratchers. :)

• mikael-aronssonmikael-aronsson Posts: 546
    edited December 1969

Ok, I just bought a new computer so I might as well delete it all and reinstall all content in a directory without spaces then, otherwise I will loose all my hair soon.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,934
    edited December 1969

Check your export options in DAZ studio as I do them with textures all the time.
    Use original textures should work
    also write material file
    it does often miss the bump or displacement files though depending on what is exported.
    If you have C8.5 you can save a duf scene and import that too
    if it is a Poser file pp2 or pz2 you can load it directly from your runtime.

edited December 1969

Ah, you mean the "Collect maps" option that create a subdirectory with all map's ?

Did not see that one, that should help, thanks.

edited December 1969

You should not need to, use original maps should work as long as you have a mtl file telling the obj where to find them.
    DAZ studio itself will not load the maps reimporting the obj by the way but Carrara will as does iClone 3dxchange and Octane renderer among other things I use, only DAZ and Poser sometimes give me issues, both those need the maps in the same directory instead of reading the mtl file to find them.

edited December 1969

Also if carrara CANNOT find the maps
    it WILL ask to browse to them if you have a mtl file
    AND once you have located the first one it will load the others.

edited December 1969

No, Carrara did not ask for them, it just ignored them, when I modified the mtl file to a path without spaces and moved the texture map there it worked fine.

Not sure why it did not ask for them though.

• Design AcrobatDesign Acrobat Posts: 459
    edited January 2015

No, Carrara did not ask for them, it just ignored them, when I modified the mtl file to a path without spaces and moved the texture map there it worked fine.

Not sure why it did not ask for them though.

Just use convert maps for Bryce and it should import fine into Carrara. It should make an obj file and a folder with your textures. The only thing you should have to do is adjust the shininess or whatever as they get blown out in Carrara.

In fact, I keep Carrara as the default program for opening OBJ files (file association) so all I have to do is double click the icon (usually on desktop) and it auto loads with obj and the texture files. No muss, no fuss and no wearing of the hernia truss...

edit the render is a quickie in Carrara 8 Pro

convert_maps_for_bryce.jpg
    481 x 550 - 63K
    Post edited by Design Acrobat on
    edited December 1969

I rarely do figures as see no reason to I open them or import them as duf or cr2 rigged.
    I just tried it, you were right my settings a figure did load untextured .
    I definitely have gotten textured files in though maybe I used the Bryce settings too am now very puzzled it WAS before DS4.7 maybe something has changed???

edited December 1969

When I attempted this, I made sure I had both an .obj and a .mtl file, and changed the names of both files to add a space. And clearly, with the space in the name of both files, Carrara, failed to import the .mtl file. Without the space it worked fine.

So unless I missed something, it's choking on spaces in path references.

edited December 1969

I clicked view and see you may be right JM2K, I think it s a DS4.7 obj export change though, a few odd things have occurred for me in this build

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,086
    edited December 1969

I clicked view and see you may be right JM2K, I think it s a DS4.7 obj export change though, a few odd things have occurred for me in this build

I also think something is up with the 4.7 export function. I've had screwy results with duf files saved out of Studio that I have tried to open in carrara. I can load the files directly in carrara no problem, so I don't think it is just carrara having trouble with the folder names.

edited December 1969

For info, my results had nothing to do with DS. The .obj was generated in Hex I believe.

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,806
    edited December 1969

Hello all

A couple of quick screendumps for the obj files.

I am using DAZ3D 4.6

Is the 4.7 Obj export parameters the same as 4.6 ?

Sometimes I forget to tick the "Collect Maps" option which results in the maps being left behind.
    Same issue ?

DAZ3D_OBJ_Export_Parameters_to_Carrara.png
    1363 x 773 - 344K
    Object_Import_Test.png
    1361 x 768 - 365K