How is this done?

edited December 2014 in Art Studio

What method(s) did they use to make this cool clip?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bhx3HEV_6FQ&google_comment_id=z13euz24dqzuz305i04ccrqj3vftzlsxmjs

It Appears they got aspects of 2D pics to animate tho it must be something quite different. The intro to the movie Pi uses this same approach. I'd love to learn how and I suppose it involves further pricey programs. The guy said it started with 2D pics. This doesn't look like DAZ territory.

Something specific would be how they animated the electron orbits... As you see they appear, the atoms, like ("paper" like) 2d planes with transparency and tilt perhaps over a black field. They're clearly not your usual objects and that's what I'm talking about. It kinda looks like what they offer in Corel Video where u can tweak text in all kinds of ways (over whatever else).

This would be the perfect contrast for the stuff I do in Bryce. I'm learning that trying to capture good footage with a camcorder in order to tell a story is WAY more involved than I thought. Anyone recall The Blair Witch Project? Well, that just came out of nowhere.........

Post edited by mpam76895_15961369c9 on

Comments

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

Do you know "Adobe After Effects" ?

• a-sennova-sennov Posts: 331
    edited December 1969

With static images this can be done even in DAZ Studio. With movie clips - in Carrara :)

For electron effect you can create the cube primitive, shape it into a longer form, shift rotation offset to the orbit radius, then create a couple of instances of it parenting them to each other. In the first frame of animation they are all aligned and seen like one cube, on the seconds frame you get second one and rotate it a little, on third frame take the third and rotate on the same angle etc.

• edited December 1969

That makes sense.

• The DigiVaultThe DigiVault Posts: 438
    edited December 1969

It's done in After Effects using a plugin called Sure Target 2

You can find a tutorial on how to do it at...

http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/sure_target_2/

The site is run by Andrew Kramer and he's a great tutor. He's an After Effects guru but very very easy to listen to and makes the whole experience very enjoyable.

• edited December 1969

Thanks, maybe you have a coupon for a free copy of AFX? Always wanted that but too much else calls.

edited December 1969

You can now rent After Effects by the month for €24.59. There's a free trial too. In fact you can rent any or all of the Adobe creative suite. I started renting a few months back.

The video Copilot site is just fantastic too. Many many great tutorials and freebees. As far as I know the Sure Target plugin is free so you could be doing this kind of animation within the hour:-) For FREE!

• edited December 1969

Ha, I was planning to buy a tut series for Carrara. Too bad that's not rent to own...

Thanks for the heads up and I like much in your gallery.

Haven't really looked but I gather AFX is just that, adding effects to a rendered clip.

edited December 1969

That's part of it yes. But it can generate its own full screen stuff too from 2D images. And with plugins added it can do some pretty astounding 3D stuff but it can be an expensive hobby.

The animation you linked to here could be done in Carrara or any 3D package, DAZ, Blender etc but would take a good bit of setting up to get right and rendering might take a while.

There are a few free compositing pieces of software around like Fusion....

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/fusion

or maybe Natron....

http://natron.inria.fr

Might be worth a look;-)

• edited December 1969

Fun stuff, and pricey yes. That's some still (office scene) on Fusion's front page!

I asked elsewhere how to get frigging windows movie maker onto win 7. There are tons of vids on this and so far no method has worked on this end. It appears microsoft for whatever reason went out of their way to ensure a compatibility glitch.

Adobe is enticing.

On that vid I linked to I'll guess they used much transparency. Put a pic on a 2d sheet, transparency out the unwanted background then tweak (ie rotate) that incrementally. Same with layers perhaps.

edited December 1969

That would work. Set the 2d panels up in 3d space and then animate the camera around them.