difference between HD addons?

vex3d_22560vex3d_22560 Posts: 130
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I am interesting in picking up an HD addon for G2F but I'm not sure which HD addon i should pick. I only have v6 base ( of all the g2f bases ) but I don't know if her Hd addon will only work on v6 morph/v6 textures, or if I can mix the HD with whatever character addons I choose/make?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• cecilia.robinsoncecilia.robinson Posts: 2,208
    edited December 1969

I think HD addons are not interchangeable, so you'd have to buy V6 HD if you only have V6.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,008
    edited December 1969

Since someone has mentioned HD and I have never actually seen an exact definition of HD, other than what I've been able to piece together from product descriptions and forum chatter...
    Am I correct that HD is a reference to a higher definition setting/option for the mesh resolution?
    Or is there more to that?

• JabbaJabba Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

As far as I can piece together, HD morphs are a way to apply detail sculpting from a subdivided figure onto the base figure via some unspecified method in the DAZ skunkworks (HD morphs are only available in the DAZ store, so I'm guessing method needs something DAZ hasn't shared with asset creators in general).

But I ain't Sherlock, so I could be wrong.

@OP... If you got V6 shape already, then it's a no-brainer to get the V6 HD add-on... it complements the shape you already have and is the only one that comes with an additional skin texture (the others are HD morphs only).

• JabbaJabba Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Vexiphne said:
    I don't know if her Hd addon will only work on v6 morph/v6 textures, or if I can mix the HD with whatever character addons I choose/make?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, it's a morph slider, so you can use it with whatever shape you like... but it's specifically designed to compliment whichever character it's named for.
  • ChangelingChickChangelingChick Posts: 3,047
    edited December 1969

I use the V6 HD morphs for all the g2f characters and it looks pretty good. Same with M6 and the G2M's... all 2 of them *cough* They won't be as appropriate on younger characters though.

• Hiro ProtagonistHiro Protagonist Posts: 699
    edited December 1969

They are morphs, just like normal morphs, so you can use any HD morph on any character of the same base figure (e.g. any G2F). The practical difference is that, by default, you can't see the full effect of them in the viewport unless you increase your figure's subdivision level to 2 or 3. I believe HD mprphs are based on 3 levels of subd, so that is what you will have to dial your figure up to if you want to see the complete effect in the viewport.

However, when you render you see the full effect because DS automatically exports the correct level of subd to 3Delight. This is a very useful feature because 3 levels take up quite a bit more memory than 1 (as every level quadruples the number of polys), and depending on your processing power, this can easily create a lot of lag in the viewport. If you are using another renderer such as Luxrender or Octane, you need to apply the 3 levels in DS manually (advisable to leave this until you are ready to render).

One of the advantages of HD over displacement maps (which have been used for similar effects) is that HD, being a morph, will work regardless of what UV mapping the the character's textures use.

You can mix and match HD morphs, but like any set of morphs, they may clash if they are working on the same parts of the body. Of course, you can experiment with mixing them and see what works—any you don't have to dial them all up full, so you can get more subtle effects if you want. I've been doing this quite a lot and it works quite well.

• vex3d_22560vex3d_22560 Posts: 130
    edited December 1969

Awesome information, thank you everybody! Exactly what I wanted to know.

This is a very useful feature because 3 levels take up quite a bit more memory than 1 (as every level quadruples the number of polys), and depending on your processing power, this can easily create a lot of lag in the viewport. If you are using another renderer such as Luxrender or Octane, you need to apply the 3 levels in DS manually (advisable to leave this until you are ready to render).

Thank goodness, I never subd past lvl 1. My computer can't handle preview mode... Glad I asked this question, wouldn't have gotten all the extra experienced info behind it. Thank you again.

• SuperdogSuperdog Posts: 765
    edited December 1969

If you are using another renderer such as Luxrender or Octane, you need to apply the 3 levels in DS manually (advisable to leave this until you are ready to render).

I'm replying to this a bit late but wonder if you can help? I use Octane and would like to know how to apply the 3 levels manually. Do I need to adjust DS or Octane and what do I adjust?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

With your figure selected, go to the Parameters pane > Mesh Resolution > View SubD Level -- you will need to remove limits to go above 2. Remember that each level of SubD quadruples the mesh density, so wait until you're ready to render to do it.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

I use the V6 HD morphs for all the g2f characters and it looks pretty good. Same with M6 and the G2M's... all 2 of them *cough* They won't be as appropriate on younger characters though.

cough drop?
    :lol:

edited December 1969

Jabba101 said:
    If you got V6 shape already, then it's a no-brainer to get the V6 HD add-on... it complements the shape you already have and is the only one that comes with an additional skin texture (the others are HD morphs only).

Only M6 HD Addon has a new skin, that's for sure. Frankly, while the clay renders look nice, can somebody experienced tell us if it really makes so much of a difference? I'd say that the males (especially Gianni and Lee) look fine with HD, but when it comes to females, only Olympia looked noticeably different in HD. That's just my three pence, so please show us any renders that stress the difference.

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,046
    edited January 2015

It all depends on your lighting and angle of lighting..EG if your scene casts a full 360 light with no shadows, those details won't stand out. The details are there, but can mainly be seen with a directional lightsource. They also stand out more if you remove or lower SSS on a figure.

Post edited by Zev0 on
    edited December 1969

Zev0 said:
    It all depends on your lighting and angle of lighting..EG if your scene casts a full 360 light with no shadows, those details won't stand out. The details are there, but can mainly be seen with a directional lightsource. They also stand out more if you remove or lower SSS on a figure.

So for a render of the back on one's palm with a magical etching of sorts in candle light would be worth the hassle?

edited January 2015

Here I have just one light source and all the HD details can be seen. See the wrinkles on the skin. Those are HD details.

11.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 365K
    Post edited by Zev0 on
  • erik leemanerik leeman Posts: 262
    edited December 1969

@ Cecilia:
    Not so much the difference between HD and non-HD, but I think this image quite dramatically shows the effect of HD detail in a render:

Special Agent (subDiv 3)

The figure is a mix of Victoria 6 HD (for the body), Stephanie 6 HD (for the head), HD aging morphs, HD veins, muscularity, and bend-improvement morphs (all three of them mixed) + an assortment of morph-kit juggling : )
    Quite a mish-mash of geometry, but I think it all works wonderfully together.
    Many, many thanks to all the creators involved in making this possible!

Cheers!

Erik

edited December 1969

Wow that is a Great Render...Nice!!!!!!!

• erik leemanerik leeman Posts: 262
    edited December 1969

And thank you for your invaluable contributions in creating it!

Cheers!

Erik