Grasp Helper for Genesis 8 and Genesis 8.1 - ideas?

Well, this looks interesting. Unfortunately there is not much information to be found on the product page and only a few promos.

Anybody already any experience with this?

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,149

Grasp Helper looks intriguing, but what is it? I nominate this product for least helpful product description ever. Is it a script? Is it a plugin? How does it work? How do you use it? This is dying for a video to demonstrate it. It will never make it into my cart with this vague description.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,149

Ha! I wrote almost the same thing in a new thread at the same time. Maybe a mod can combine our questions. I have no clue what this is or how to use it. I'll let somebody else be the guinea pig.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

Absolutely needs more promos, particularly the steps you need to take. What is the .dse format?

• Hurdy3DHurdy3D Posts: 1,038

Also interested in more infos.

How does this work exactly?

Is it just collision and smothing or an innovative script?

Does it work with geocrafts?

• JagerkinJagerkin Posts: 3

I am curious too. How does it compare to something like Ghost Dynamics?

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,151

In my cart. I'll report back shortly.

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,981
    edited June 2021

.DSE would indicate a script file and looks like it adds dynamics which allow you to squeeze an object, such as a rubber ball or grab a body part and make it look realistic..

Jagerkin said:

I am curious too. How does it compare to something like Ghost Dynamics?

It looks like Grasp Helper uses the chosen figure more directly, rather than require extra assets to simulate grabbing, squeezing and pushing..

Post edited by Ghosty12 on
    edited June 2021

It's actually super simple to use, although you have to be somewhat judicious about how you use it, as I've found. The way it works is by cloning the figure's hands into "gloves", and applying a smoothing modifier with the gloves as the collision surface. My first experiment was to have G8F grab part of her body, as demonstrated in the promo, and that caused the script to also clone the figure itself. There is an additional script that lets you adjust parameters to get a better result. Here's a test with a basic sphere. I'll probably play with it more ere the day is done, but I can't guarantee I'll be able to post all my results.

edit: forgot to describe how to use it. It's simple: with a figure selected, run the script, and a dialog will pop up to ask you what you want to grasp. Select the item you want grasped (including the figure itself), and it goes to work. Like I said, super simple to use.

graspsphere1.png
    1600 x 1600 - 2M
    graspsphere2.png
    1600 x 1600 - 1M
    Post edited by Gordig on
  • Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,981

Gordig said:

It's actually super simple to use, although you have to be somewhat judicious about how you use it, as I've found. The way it works is by cloning the figure's hands into "gloves", and applying a smoothing modifier with the gloves as the collision surface. My first experiment was to have G8F grab part of her body, as demonstrated in the promo, and that caused the script to also clone the figure itself. There is an additional script that lets you adjust parameters to get a better result. Here's a test with a basic sphere. I'll probably play with it more ere the day is done, but I can't guarantee I'll be able to post all my results.

Yeah just bought and tried it out, and can say that it is a bit of hit and miss if selecting the figure to grab a part of itself.. I had all sorts of deformations of the figure going on, such as if the figure has long fingernails it deforms the finger underneath.. And for reasons I can not fathom it would also deform the characters lips too, and finally in doing this I found that viewport updating would go very laggy..

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,771

Won't applying Smoothing Modifier to a character subtly change the entire figure, possibly eliminate HD detail?

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,771
    edited June 2021

Also, if you want your character to grab anything other than parts of themselves, why wouldnt you just have the item in question collide with the character itself? What does the clone add?

Post edited by Hylas on
    edited June 2021

Here's an example of why this product is useful: I had G8F choke G8M (he knows what he did), and although the utility does reduce the quality of the smoothing, I wasn't able to get anywhere close to the same effect trying to manually adjust smoothing parameters on a standard G8M. I did as much as I could without reposing to get a better result, to make a fair comparison, and the utility script included with this product did some heavy lifting that the regular smoothing couldn't match. Granted, I have almost no experience with smoothing, so I was mostly just moving sliders at random to see what everything did. Someone who is more experienced with smoothing modifiers may be able to get comparable results without this product, I don't know.

With the utility:

Manually smoothing:

graspchoke1.png
    1600 x 1600 - 3M
    graspchokenograsp.png
    1600 x 1600 - 3M
    Post edited by Gordig on
  • takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,924
    edited June 2021

Hylas said:

Won't applying Smoothing Modifier to a character subtly change the entire figure, possibly eliminate HD detail?

Yeah, I have it in my cart right now as we speak, just still waiting for more info before I pull the trigger...

Post edited by takezo_3001 on
  • cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on
  • CHWTCHWT Posts: 1,138
    I actually kind of want it... but I guess ghost dynamics and mesh grabber can already do the same work.

More information in the other thread on this topic.

• Rod Wise DriggoRod Wise Driggo Posts: 2,151

Are there any additional files i.e. to adjust the level of smoothing? Not that this can be done manually but the only products I know working with hidden gloves are from Meipe (available elsewhere) and come with "tons" of adjustment files.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

grass hopper?

• eheiehbruno@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 842
    edited June 2021

I am not entirely sure if this is worth it. Applying a smoothing modifier it's not exactly a new solution, and if it doesn't take take certain measures, applying the smoothing to a figure will always result in subpar results (at the very least, losing all the HD details) so I would hope the script would generate a morph on just the affected area. As Rod said, the other product with invisible gloves certainly took into account many different factors.

Post edited by [email protected] on

Rod Wise Driggo said:

Are there any additional files i.e. to adjust the level of smoothing? Not that this can be done manually but the only products I know working with hidden gloves are from Meipe (available elsewhere) and come with "tons" of adjustment files.

Can you please give the name of the product so we can make a better search at least? 

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,818
    edited June 2021

Make a google search (put meipe first in the search field). It is in this shop, that I will never buy from - good luck with it.

Post edited by Artini on
  • FrinkkyFrinkky Posts: 388

Hylas said:

The extent to which HD details are reduced depends on the render subdivision and smoothing modifier type. At subdivision 3+ and Smoothing Type to Generic will have a slight softening effect but HD details should be plenty visible. You can try reducing smoothing iterations and/or increasing HD slider past 100% (eg. 120% - the HD effect can get ugly quickly!).

Artini said:

Make a google search (put meipe first in the search field). It is in this shop, that I will never buy from - good luck with it.

Thanks for the advice, and I did the search but found no product that deals with collision gloves...

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,818

Then it is probably filtered out in your area. It happens to me sometimes.

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,114

takezo_3001 said:

Artini said:

Thanks for the advice, and I did the search but found no product that deals with collision gloves...

It's called "Breastacular For Genesis 8 Female" by Meipe on renderotica.

That site is certainly NOT SAFE FOR WORK.

I haven't tried it out on 8.1 yet.I'll gett around to that today.

IceCrMn said:

It's called "Breastacular For Genesis 8 Female" by Meipe on renderotica.

That site is certainly NOT SAFE FOR WORK.

I haven't tried it out on 8.1 yet.I'll gett around to that today.

Thank you, I would have never guessed that this product would deal with collision gloves, makes sense once I read the description! 

• DripDrip Posts: 1,135

This is really a product that would benefit a lot from having a small tutorial video available on the sales page.

• donovancolbertdonovancolbert Posts: 1,421

So, couldn't one just take gloves from an outfit, put them on a character, set their opacity to 0, and then select their collision target and get similar results? 

• barbult said:

Ha! I wrote almost the same thing in a new thread at the same time. Maybe a mod can combine our questions. I have no clue what this is or how to use it. I'll let somebody else be the guinea pig.

Merged the two threads.

• Rod Wise DriggoRod Wise Driggo Posts: 2,151

Well, I'm currently not sold on this product. Just would like to know if those promos are done just with that product or whether dformers have been used in addition.

Was this ball only squeezed by the hidden glove or have been morphs or dformers applied?

This one must have a dformer used in addition to have those "love handles" stick out, right?

I just don't know whether this is plug and play or needs a lot of manual adjustment and dformer usage which is not part of the actual product.