Animated Dynamic Clothing Technique (proof of concept)

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,816

Ass room Shadowplay capture

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

tried a soft body modifier on a vertex grid 

carrara solver dont like it 

Mystarra said:

tried a soft body modifier on a vertex grid 

carrara solver dont like it 

this was a vertex grid tesselated and triagulated

try my file

Thanks Misty heart

Capture.JPG
    1920 x 1040 - 165K

yes smoothing 0 worked

here are my renders Carrara and Octane

edited October 2019

i cant find a setting for collision distance.

just margin, still getting a little poke

testing if using carrara's bones with the text thingee makes a difference,

there was something in that nature logo scene that gave the weird message.

brought the text thing into fresh new scene.  the grid worked in the new scene. subdivided and more +++++

once is in motion, collision not working passed frame one. 

like you said, only works on initial pose

tried using soft body attach.  the grid and text move together, it ignores the bending bone.

ca solver.JPG
    1106 x 528 - 42K
    Post edited by Mistara on

yes smoothing 0 worked

here are my renders Carrara and Octane

kewl looking. like th music too  builds drama

think this experiment will make a crash??

attempting to use physx to drag the cape and chain link along.

tho, for pure physix i should put a directional force to blow the cone across the floor.

ca try this way.JPG
    917 x 392 - 51K
    ca exper.JPG
    963 x 571 - 85K

well the ring went with it  

mebbe it needs thickness

ca ring went with it.JPG
    935 x 550 - 70K
    edited October 2019

another fail.  thickness

parenting the soft body to the chain link didn't work.

but theres demo showing physics with balls dropping on like trampoline cloth ?  i thought

ca fail.JPG
    1054 x 564 - 95K
    edited October 2019

gahhh can't sleep.

reboot.

forget what it's supposed to do.  ... !!
    What does it do doo!!!
    ok
    1st thing that makes it better than poser cloth,
    Carrara can save the simulation with rigged text and it can!! be re-used!!  tested. true
    saving the vertex clothified softbody obj to tray, saves the sim with it.!! tested. true
    run the simm calculation with the body in place, only the bones 1 - 3 moving. leave the top bone un moved.
    then, without clearing the sim, go back to last frame of sim, 
    move the rigged text and vertex grud soft body together

save both to tray. As a group

did a quick test with cloth and logo text.  theory seems to hold true.

so with figure move only the limbs, not hip or body, run sim,
    then move to destination.  ahh but what about hip swing. 

good enough testing, can go sleepy now, dream about g3m horned hottie in harem pants. angel
    heheh with carrara hair trail  

gahh still awake.

ever try using the point force to simulate a summer breeze on a skirt?

has a theory to test.  wanna try adding a bone, like a body handle bone, to end of arm  see if extending the range of the simulation

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,078

Power Computer Update

One of the major problems with Carrara 8.5 Pro's native softbody physics was calculation time.  Now that I have a much faster computer than I did back in the day, it might be worth revisiting Carrara's softbody physics.  Maybe not for clothing (but maybe for clothing), but for flags, curtains, and similar.  Here is an old flag test by Jay Versluis.

Another project to put on the to-do list.

https://www.versluis.com/2014/11/creating-a-waving-flag-in-carrara-using-soft-body-modifiers/

And here is another old starter tutorial video on Carrara physics.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,223

The Jay Man!!! Do you go to his webinars at all? They're excellent! I learn a lot of DS tricks from our dear friend! He's a Peach!!!

edited December 2022

Rosie does a Lot of Proof of Concept testing.

This top (what's there) is a portion of dForce Nature Diety, and Rosie likes how ventilated it feels. She's always so hot.

The test, this time, wasn't about that, however. It was testing the FACS system from Genesis 3 & 8 Face Controls. It's adorable watching her talk!

Her hair takes forever to simulate.

RT7K2_FACS_WalkUpConvers02a240.png
    1000 x 1000 - 684K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on

Dartanbeck said:

The Jay Man!!! Do you go to his webinars at all? They're excellent! I learn a lot of DS tricks from our dear friend! He's a Peach!!!

Jay Versluis is great!  I used one of his video tutorials to turn the Genesis 8 Mummy into a Genesis 9 Full Body Morph.  I was then able to use that figure in Carrara for one of my Egypt Challenge (#64) entries.

For method, see - https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/7800841/#Comment_7800841

which led to this entry

Awesome! Yeah I saw that you did the conversion to Genesis 9. I followed that same tutorial, but haven't made anyone yet. 

edited December 2022

I've also made a "dForce Hair Dynamics Helper" that conforms to Genesis 3 Female.

I haven't used it for a while, but it helps to simulate wind better - that hair is quite heavy against gravity.

To use it, I load it onto Rosie and simulate it for the animation. Then turn on the hair and simulate it with that Helper visible in the simulation. It drapes almost the same as your skirt example in Diomede's Notepad, Sketchpad, and Chilling Pad tutorials, so it pushes the hair around better than just dynamics alone.

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

Great work, Dart! Good to see you are still in the game. And I know, I haven't posted on a Carrara forum for AGES, but I still use our beloved program most days, mostly making stuff for DS.

• PhilW said:

Great work, Dart! Good to see you are still in the game. And I know, I haven't posted on a Carrara forum for AGES, but I still use our beloved program most days, mostly making stuff for DS.

including Linton one day? 

PhilW said:

Thanks! I go through long periods when I'm too focused on too many things to be able to browse the internet, but I'm Always in the game! :)

I took a look at your store when I got back and, Wow! Phil's been a busy boy!!!

I still (and always will) have my acoustic drums - love 'em - but for our shows I'm now playing a rather nice electronic kit using professional techniques and sounds so that our entire band can go 'in-ear' with an entirely silent stage. So we pump a few monitors onto the stage so it doesn't feel weird to folks that approach.

Anyhow, this gives our sound tech immense power to perfect the sound for whatever venue we're playing, and people love it so much that we've been just packed, show after show. Which, of course, means that our calendar fills up nicely! It's such a blast!

During the pandemic lock-down our city helped fund a new studio from which we can live-stream shows (for us and all other bands). A construction company had to run one of those massive pile drivers outside the studio for a time. My singer (studio owner) explained to them that this is a recording studio that cannot operate with that much noise. They had a deadline so they were working long hours. The company gave him a check with an awful lot of digits!

So our audio visual studio is amazing! Over 30Gs just in lights alone! 

I'm getting more and more crippled (right foot) but my little dog, Chicha keeps me active. I'm amazed that it doesn't seem to affect my drumming. I mean... I pound those pedals with my feet! Live for four hours... just can't help but give it all I've got. 

Anyway, I think it's time for you to fly to Wisconsin so we can jam!

PhilW said:

Cheers, PhilW!  Hope all is going well. Have been rewatching your animation tutorial.  So much more than a Carrara tutorial.  Great stuff.  Thanks.  On products, how about some balding but not bald hair products for older gentlemen?

Dart - great to know the drumming is going so well and that your band is proving so popular. As if there was any doubt with you in the band!  And I'll be sure to drop in if I am ever in that area, although I don't see it happening any time soon.  Although I am tempted to come to the USA for the solar eclipse that will happen in 2024, so who knows.

Diomede said:

PhilW said:

Cheers, PhilW!  Hope all is going well. Have been rewatching your animation tutorial.  So much more than a Carrara tutorial.  Great stuff.  Thanks.  On products, how about some balding but not bald hair products for older gentlemen?

Thanks for the suggestion. There are some products that do that already (at least for G8 men) but it wouldn't be too difficult to do, I don't think. 

WendyLuvsCatz said:

PhilW said:

including Linton one day? 

Who knows!  I did look at it a long time ago, but Daz didn't have instancing at that stage so it was going to be very difficult. But it has it now so who knows, when I want a change from hair! 

edited December 2022

PhilW said:

Diomede said:

PhilW said:

Thanks for the suggestion. There are some products that do that already (at least for G8 men) but it wouldn't be too difficult to do, I don't think. 

If you make me use Philemo's plugin to create these myself for Daz products, I will be coming for your job, PhilW.  Haha.

Easy to miss what is available, but it seems to me that Daz hair products are either 1 or 7 on the Norwood scale.  There are one or two for Norwood scale 3s and 4s - usually buzz cuts or comb overs.

hairline.jpg
    717 x 376 - 39K
    Post edited by Diomede on

I've copies that into my "Hair Reference" folder for possible use.

And sorry for derailing the thread!

PhilW said:

I've copies that into my "Hair Reference" folder for possible use.

And sorry for derailing the thread!

Great to be able to say hello!