Iray renders are becoming more and more impossible

I've tried to render and re-render this scene in Iray.  I have: Used Scene optimizer, dropped all prims except actors, and turned off smoothing. 

Any ideas Iray rendering is becoming all too elusive and It's now a real problem for me.

I'd be very grateful for any help on this. 

dazcrash.png
655 x 628 - 187K

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,546

That crashlog isn't helping.

What kind of computer do you have, which operating system, which GPU and how much VRAM does the GPU have?

• RendooRendoo Posts: 15

HI there thanks

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz   2.21 GH

16.0 GB RAM 

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 with Max-Q Design

I hope this helps, I was able to render many Iray images some months ago, suddenly things just started falling off a cliff.

• cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on

Smells like a laptop... (with Max-Q Design)...

Help->Troubleshooting->View Log File, attach the file to your post with "Attach a file" above the "Post Comment" button.

• CenobiteCenobite Posts: 206

rendering is an issue with 256GB and a 12GB vram video card, these people are morons that constantly break settings with updates you don't see now.

cridgit said:

Looks like 8GB VRAM. Did you check your SubD levels? That blows up VRAM like nothing.

DAZ Studio log file should give you some render stats from before the crash.

Tell me more! How would I adjust this?  

So you all thinking it's my GPU? (attached pic)  That would suck becuase I'll have to upgrade everything LOL! 

I'm thinking of getting one of those AMD chips with a gazillion cores in my next system...but man I don't want to go back to a desktop....but may have to it seems. 

Thanks for the help any more opinions are most welcome folks! 

gpu.png
    1189 x 791 - 59K
    edited June 2021

8GB VRAM on the GPU is not that restrictive, but it still requires that the user keeps track of texture and geometry usage.

The attached chart shows a test I made to see how the VRAM usage according to DAZ log translated into total usage of VRAM and/or RAM

Case A was 1 G8 figure with light weight hair and clothing, 3 spotlights
    Case B was 4 G8 figures with light weight hair and clothing, 3 spotlights and light weight indoor scene
    Cases C and D, the same as B, but I increased the SubD on the characters to see at which point the rendering would fallback to CPU

I have 64GB's of RAM and my RTX 2070 Super has 8GB's of VRAM

In practice I can have the textures use up to 4GB's of VRAM and still render in IRAY but I usually keep the SubD at max 2 to keep the memory usage of the geometry down.

DS is not really "meant" to be used on laptops for multitude of reasons, one is the possible problems with multiple GPU's on the system, an other is the limited space (you WILL run out of space), third one is the screen space and fouth one is the heat produced while rendering, all problems that can be avoided on a desktop.

RenderTST2.PNG
    615 x 574 - 40K
    Post edited by PerttiA on
  • TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,676

Rendoo said:

So you all thinking it's my GPU? (attached pic)  That would suck becuase I'll have to upgrade everything LOL! 

I'm thinking of getting one of those AMD chips with a gazillion cores in my next system...but man I don't want to go back to a desktop....but may have to it seems. 

Thanks for the help any more opinions are most welcome folks! 

I just upraded to a 12 core beast, it does help a lot more than I expected. DS will completely crash now before it gets laggy at all, I loaded in 49 different figures in an experiment, many of them HD lol. To check on the HD level of an object/figure, select the figure in the scene tab, then in the parameter tab, under mesh resolution, you can see the subdivision slider. For every level of subdivision, the polygon count quadruples, which can really lag you down.

Im using the full 256GB on my Intel Xcore i9 F proccessor 10 phsyical cores 20 logical with 12GB vram 2080ti Nvidia, it still takes a bit to render, this pic took me about four hours on normal quality settings.

With better use of light the render would show up better detail, i was just testing how many models with hair and fur in a high poly scene would go. This scene is real slow to manage but still renders in around 4 hours.

For Australia.jpg
    2400 x 1280 - 3M
  • ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255
    edited June 2021

Might I suggest that you look at the actual data rather than just speculate, as it might save some time and frustration. Since you're on W10, first thing I would do is, while using D|S during a render, go to Task Manager, and under the Details tab, you'll see columns called "Name, PID, Status, CPU", etc.

Right click next to one of the column headers and choose "Select Columns", then choose any column that includes "GPU" in the title. You will then see a listing, by running process/application (such as D|S) how much GPU resources that particular application is using. Keep in mind that a lot of other processes can be using the GPU at the same time, so overall GPU VRAM usage numbers may be somewhat useless. You can also click on the column title to sort by the processes using the most GPU VRAM ("Dedicated GPU Memory"). That's the only way to find out how much VRAM D|S is actually using, and how much VRAM other apps might be hogging (games, etc.).  

You can then compare that with the "Performance" tab to see a chart of overall GPU usage values, and that will also tell you if the total VRAM usage is getting up near the limit.

Though your problem seems to be DAZ Studio crashing, which doesn't seem related to VRAM issues, since if the GPU does run out of VRAM it defaults to using the CPU's and system RAM to render. Unless you changed that.

Personally, I've noticed crashes like you experienced relatively often lately, and VRAM usage is irrelevant. I haven't pinned down the actual cause, since it happens fairly rarely, but it seems to be an issue lately even when I'm not rendering (though may be related to Iray preview).

Another thing you might want to try (not sure if it will help in this case, but it's a good thing to keep in mind for W10 troubleshooting in general) is to type in the search bar "reliability history" and it will give you a graphical summary of all important events on your PC in the last days/weeks. New driver installs, hardware issues, Windows updates, etc.  

You might also look at the D|S log file ("Help/Troubleshooting/View Log File") to see if maybe Iray had a problem with the GPU or there's some other hint at the cause of the crash.

I suppose you could also choose to send the crash report to DAZ when the crash window pops up, though I'm not sure how effective that might be. 

Post edited by ebergerly on
  • sliders49sliders49 Posts: 87

After years of using 3Delight, my Iray just stopped working. In the last few years I got used to 3Delight and been enjoying it. Faster though the renders are not as crisp but its an issue I learned to live with. Then yesterday the IRay started working again (?) so I been using it and I see that maybe 3Delight is in some ways a better program. I really think Daz is phasing out 3Delight so I'm going to have to just learn to work with it again.  

MR Bianca for Gen 8.1. Image on left is render with 3Delight on the Right is Iray you guys be the judge. 

ABCstormy.png
    935 x 820 - 1M
    abc iray 4.png
    935 x 820 - 1M

ebergerly said:

Might I suggest that you look at the actual data rather than just speculate, as it might save some time and frustration. Since you're on W10, first thing I would do is, while using D|S during a render, go to Task Manager, and under the Details tab, you'll see columns called "Name, PID, Status, CPU", etc.

Right click next to one of the column headers and choose "Select Columns", then choose any column that includes "GPU" in the title. You will then see a listing, by running process/application (such as D|S) how much GPU resources that particular application is using. Keep in mind that a lot of other processes can be using the GPU at the same time, so overall GPU VRAM usage numbers may be somewhat useless. You can also click on the column title to sort by the processes using the most GPU VRAM ("Dedicated GPU Memory"). That's the only way to find out how much VRAM D|S is actually using, and how much VRAM other apps might be hogging (games, etc.).  

You can then compare that with the "Performance" tab to see a chart of overall GPU usage values, and that will also tell you if the total VRAM usage is getting up near the limit.

Though your problem seems to be DAZ Studio crashing, which doesn't seem related to VRAM issues, since if the GPU does run out of VRAM it defaults to using the CPU's and system RAM to render. Unless you changed that.

Personally, I've noticed crashes like you experienced relatively often lately, and VRAM usage is irrelevant. I haven't pinned down the actual cause, since it happens fairly rarely, but it seems to be an issue lately even when I'm not rendering (though may be related to Iray preview).

Another thing you might want to try (not sure if it will help in this case, but it's a good thing to keep in mind for W10 troubleshooting in general) is to type in the search bar "reliability history" and it will give you a graphical summary of all important events on your PC in the last days/weeks. New driver installs, hardware issues, Windows updates, etc.  

You might also look at the D|S log file ("Help/Troubleshooting/View Log File") to see if maybe Iray had a problem with the GPU or there's some other hint at the cause of the crash.

I suppose you could also choose to send the crash report to DAZ when the crash window pops up, though I'm not sure how effective that might be. 

Thank you! Strange thing; if I select GPU only for a render it simply never works in Iray regardless of content.  I have a strange suspicision that DAZ is not using my GPU but I can't prove that in any way.... I have heard of some issue with NVIDIA Geforce 2000 series and DAZ getting along, but have not confirmed.  

I can do a single actor..sure...I simply can't make scenes in Iray.  It seems once I add an actor it goes downhill. 

sliders49 said:

After years of using 3Delight, my Iray just stopped working. In the last few years I got used to 3Delight and been enjoying it. Faster though the renders are not as crisp but its an issue I learned to live with. Then yesterday the IRay started working again (?) so I been using it and I see that maybe 3Delight is in some ways a better program. I really think Daz is phasing out 3Delight so I'm going to have to just learn to work with it again.  

MR Bianca for Gen 8.1. Image on left is render with 3Delight on the Right is Iray you guys be the judge. 

I still do some work in 3delight as well. I am not too happy with the news of a phase out.  

Rendoo said:

sliders49 said:

I still do some work in 3delight as well. I am not too happy with the news of a phase out.  

Some of the newer models and hair does not render in 3Delight...I found a way to work around that. And after years of using the 3Delight, I just got a feeling that 3Delight is being phased out. I see some advantages to Iray but 3Delight is faster and aside from the hair an in some models skin morphs, 3Delight is a GOOD PROGRAM. I get that programmers want to get new and improved but in some cases if its not broke then don't fix it . Please. 

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,318
    edited June 2021

sliders49 said:

Rendoo said:

sliders49 said:

Some of the newer models and hair does not render in 3Delight...I found a way to work around that. And after years of using the 3Delight, I just got a feeling that 3Delight is being phased out. I see some advantages to Iray but 3Delight is faster and aside from the hair an in some models skin morphs, 3Delight is a GOOD PROGRAM. I get that programmers want to get new and improved but in some cases if its not broke then don't fix it . Please. 

Dreamlight has a tutorial you can use on how to improve 3DLight, including getting emissives. It can greatly improve your renders. I say this because, before we had iRay people were making some incredibly good pictures with 3DLight.
    https://www.daz3d.com/3delight-render-engine-tutorial-workshop

Post edited by Faeryl Womyn on

sliders49 said:

Even without you telling which was which, and the textures not being that good, I could tell which was which.

Ok, if you are really good with 3Delight, you can get decent results, but IRAY gives you more realistic looking results so much easier

• Joe2018Joe2018 Posts: 238

@Rendoo: you can establish that DAZ uses a specific GPU. You must do that in the OS Settings. Just "Google" for "force program to use specific gpu".

(NS: my native language is german. So I think a direct link to a german page will not help you. But with the above search you should get good suggestions).

(NS2: with these settings I made a attempt on a laptop. It worked fine, but if the GPU has to less RAM it would result in an empty Render Window. In the log-file I found something like that "GPU not enough memory, size 0 (zero)".

Since I've decided to go back to iray I now see this strange issue that I do not recall when i used Iray in the past. Look at the image. Why the heck is the girl on the right so dark? I had been doing this girl in 3Delight and she was just fine but now?  I tried lighting the image in iphoto but --no here's a shof of my iray settings. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Can someone offer any words of wisdom? 

Like @Faeryl Womyn said  used to get some pretty good images in 3Delight before Iray came along....

abcmelee 38 copy.png
    935 x 820 - 1M
    Screen Shot 2021-06-03 at 11.03.56 AM.jpeg
    625 x 978 - 107K

ebergerly said:

Your totally right here, banged the nail right on the button my friend, DAZ3D has been randomly crashing lately and it isn't my system causing it more likely background changes being made to the core code effecting some elements in the editor, like the other day crashed 4 times converting gen 2 items to gen 8 bodys which usually never crashs for me, then starts working normally again with no apparent fix, it wouldn't allow me to send an error report for some reason some think thats bugged too.