Can you change PBR shaders to Uber?

WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,742

I've been refraining from purchasing G8.1 characters because I hate the waxy look of PBR shaders on skin. Some PAs just list iRay as a shader on G8.1 characters without specifying PBR or Uber and the skin looks awful in the promos which make me assume they are PBR because I usually see much better skin from those PAs, but if they were uber, I could at least easily fix them. So far I haven't seen the new PBR shader look good ever, not even from Daz or top PAs, so I'm not even going to bother attempting to fix it,myself I just want to switch to uber. Can I just click on the uber shader like I do with 3Delight products and have it switch fully to uber? Or is there some complicated thing to do and I'll have to wait for a PA to come up with a script....

Comments

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822

You don't have to. The Uber shader is a PBR shader already.

If you specifically mean the advanced PBR skin shader included with Genesis 8.1, then you can always apply the Uber shader and swap the texture maps. Since both are PBR shaders, the texture maps are what define its PBR qualities. They should be interchangable.

• I would imagine that you could CTRL-click and apply an Uber skin shader to a character that uses the newer PBR shader.

I'm not sure how the conversion would work, but Daz seems to handle the Uber to nuPBR conversion when you apply the PBR shader to an Uber skin.

If I'm not dead tired after I get some other stuff done, I'll try it with Jacqueline or Victoria 8.1...

• y3kmany3kman Posts: 765
    edited May 2021

The Blurst of Times said:

I would imagine that you could CTRL-click and apply an Uber skin shader to a character that uses the newer PBR shader.

You can't one-click going from PBR Skin to Uber Shader. Settings for translucency, specular, etc. will be lost. You'll have to manually change some of the values. 

Post edited by y3kman on
  • Okay... it worked. The conversion from new PBR skin shader to Uber skin shader was able to handle the PBR and convert it to Uber just fine.

I used Jacqueline 8.1 as my base, then I used materials for Mousso's Pandora HD as the basis to CTRL-click and convert shaders without changing texture maps.

Now, it's not perfect. The converted skin was overly shiny, and losing the Detail channel doesn't compensate for that. You'll probably have to tweak a number of Uber settings to make it work, of course.

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,610

With a little work in the surfaces panel, you can change skin from the PBR Shader to the Uber Shader. 

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,742

OK thanks. But I hope a PA comes up with an easy script, it seems like a lot of trouble. Until then, I have more than enough G8 characters and most characters I purchase are from Mousso who does list both shaders on their G8.1 characters, so I may be done with Daz core characters or any characters that don’t specify including Uber shaders until there’s an easy fix. I’m not sure why Daz took this backward step....

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

Wonderland said:

OK thanks. But I hope a PA comes up with an easy script, it seems like a lot of trouble. Until then, I have more than enough G8 characters and most characters I purchase are from Mousso who does list both shaders on their G8.1 characters, so I may be done with Daz core characters or any characters that don’t specify including Uber shaders until there’s an easy fix. I’m not sure why Daz took this backward step....

@RiverSoftArt made an Iray to 3DL converter.  I'd buy a PBR to Uber converter.