First Attempt

middle_watchmiddle_watch Posts: 65
edited December 1969 in Art Studio

I love Fantasy/Sci-Fi art but have always been hampered making my own as I have a block on creating figures, never a problem with anything engineering, but people? Duh. So I end up with space going battleships and moonscapes etc. But I tripped over Poser/Daz 3D by accident and since DAZ is free to start I grabbed it and had a go, scrounging some scraps of install packages from the internet on a self confessed "try before I buy" trial.

The content handling nearly drove me mental, particularly as version 4.7 which I got does not seem to comply with all the tutorials out there!

But I have always found the best way to learn new software is to set a project so I had a go at illustrating a scene from one of my own stories.

Most of it is simply bashed about ready made stuff, the character is Victoria 5 with some tweaks to try make her look part Korean, I have not forked out for Morph Pro yet so I was restricted to in house mods. The dress is V4's Benefit Gala Gown with the settings tweaked, the gun holster which is actually hidden in this shot was a double job that allowed modification.

The crystal trees are standard 3DS Max foliage elements stripped of the fancy stuff and made semi transparent in DAZ. The gun I knocked up on Max in a couple of hours, as a weapon engineer I had to be precise about it out of habit, it is an under and over plasma pistol and 20mm smart munitions dispenser, with a folding skeleton stock. Earth was from a Max project but it was sadly mangled by the perspective in Daz, I need to look at that again. The rest is a standard snow scene loaded into Paintshop and jobbed with a JPG of mountains and blending together.

I am pleased enough with the end result to use it as my new background and my wife has given it the disinterested grunt of a comment which assures me it is not too rude! Looking forward to my next effort.

Crystal_Forest.jpg
1024 x 633 - 469K