How to edit clothing / put something on top of clothing

Greetings everyone!

I am fairly new to Daz3d. I have the following problem:

I am working on a Scene with a female character who is wearing a long sleeved sweater. Now, I would like to add a scarf around her elbow, like tied around that elbow.

What I did so far:

- added the scarf around the elbow WITHOUT the clothing item

- now when I add the sweater, obviously the scarf is not visible anymore because I fitted that scarf tightly around that elbow.

The goal would be to keep the scarf where it is, and to remove/edit that part of the sweaters sleeve so that it doesn`t interfere with the scarf.

What I tried so far:

- used the addon tool meshgrabber to drag parts of the sweater around, but it always ends up in weird forms and automatically adjusts itself, this has something to do with the Smoothing I guess? And its just A LOT of fiddling around

- used the Geometry Editor to hide/delete some of the sweaters polygons, THEN use the meshgrabber for corrections, it also very exhausting

I hope I explained this understandable :)

Does anyone have another suggestions on this?

Comments

• PhatmartinoPhatmartino Posts: 287
    edited May 2021

It may still take some playing around along the same lines as you described, but if you hadn't yet, maybe try going to the Smoothing parameters of the Sweater and changing the Collision Item to the Scarf instead of the Female Character? Unless it causes major problems with the fit of the Sweater to the Character, at least the Sweater's Smoothing would be trying to help move itself under the Scarf as you fiddle with it...

Post edited by Phatmartino on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,049

One option would be to apply a Push Modifier to the sweater (Edit>Figure>Geoemtry>Add Push Modifier), give it enough of a negative offset to pull the sweater under the scarf, then add a weight access node to the modifier (from the Create menu) and with the Node Weight Paintbrush Tool erase the map over most of the sweater, leaving it in effect where you want to hide the sweater and just fading out at the edges of that area. How well that will work will depend on the resolution of the sweater.

• Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,206

I usually go with two renders, preferably in the TIFF format (it's a valid choice in the Render pane -- like .BMP or .JPEG -- but it delivers a transparent background layer which most image editing programs (like Photoshop) will recognize.

Do one render with the sweater, then do another one with the scarf. Now build a composite (single) image.

Bonus: if re-save your TIFF renders in an image editor as .PNG, you can send them to a tablet (I happen to use the "Samsung Galaxy 6 Lite", with Autodesk Sketchbook) you'll be able to paint and smudge over the edges of the scarf in a cool way.

Sometimes using the Geometry Editor to remove parts of an object will alter your existing shadows, perhaps in a desirable way.

• edited May 2021

Hi All,

I have a clothing related question I hope someone can solve - along the lines of editing clothing.

I would like to ask if anyone knows of a way/product that will allow me to give a bikini [or other clothing] the appearance of being made of [ivy] leaves.

I want this to be done within DS and not as postwork.

Also that it looks like 3D leaves - not just a leaf pattern on the cloth [see through gaps etc around leaf/vine].

Looked at a number of shaders, but nothing seems to apply to clothing.

Hoping you can offer a solution... :)

Post edited by caswellp_d3db340e20 on
  • 3Ddreamer3Ddreamer Posts: 1,282

It is old, but something like this?

https://www.daz3d.com/forest-dryad-for-v4

•  Hi   3Ddreamer,   

Thanks for the suggestion, but I have that one, and it is of some use but does not really do what I am wanting to achieve.

I would like to be able to select an item - like a bikini - and apply a shader that then makes it look similaar to the Dryad top. Or maybe apply it to a cloak or other item of clothing and get the same effect - but not simply texture the clothing to have a leaf pattern on it - keeping the 3d look.

There are a few simlar items that have ivy-like armbands or other features, but have not found something that can be applied to any item as required [only wall climbing types - still not shader specific].

• First of all, thank you very much for all your replies and tips! I am just discovering this more and more and I haven`t been able to try one of those solutions, but I will. For now I have other priorities. I found a workaround for the time being. I just exported the clothing as an OBJ. Then reloaded it and deleted the original one. Now I can alter the new clothing with the meshgrabber without the smoothing constantly interfering. Only downside is, that this works only for the pose that the character is in now. If I change the pose, of course the clothing item doesn`t adapt any more.