Can I seperate Items within the building/blocks dice in scene?

felixmustdiefelixmustdie Posts: 22
edited April 2021 in New Users

Total newb here, By Dice I mean number 1.

All 4 walls are contained within that, i would just like to hide 1 wall, not all 4, but I can't find a way to break down the selection, despite the walls being discrete items, ie 2.

Post edited by felixmustdie on

Comments

• PhatmartinoPhatmartino Posts: 287

Hey @felixmustdie, welcome!  With "Wall183SG" selected just like you show where the "2" Label is, in the list to it's right, scroll down and look for Cutout Opacity. Setting that to Zero should do the trick.

• ok ty

But really no way to separate it out entirely into a discrete item?

• QuixotryQuixotry Posts: 899
    edited May 2021

In some cases, using Cutout Opacity to hide part of a mesh is the simplest option if it's a big prop that's all one piece. In this case, it looks like you're working with a bunch of grouped props/items. (I don't have the product to confirm that, but that's my guess.)

That means that they're all parented to a node to form a group. The parent is the one labeled Contemporary Flat. Right-click on the item that you want to separate from the rest and select 'Unparent' from the little pop-up list that appears, or simply click on the item and drag and drop it somewhere in the window, away from the group. Careful not to drop it on another item in the list, or you'll just be parenting it to another thing instead.

Post edited by Quixotry on
  • PhatmartinoPhatmartino Posts: 287
    edited May 2021

@felixmustdie I forgot I have this Set so I loaded it up to take a look...

It's even more complex than just 4 walls being seperate Surfaces of the "Walls" (1) Node, and the Cutout Opacity trick won't even work...

The Geometry Editor can be used to end up where you want to go, though. There may be more elegant ways of accomplishing this even within the Geometry Editor than what I will show, but I ended up screen capping myself going about it how I would and posted it to YouTube rather than trying to explain a ton of steps.

Know ahead of time that while Selecting Polygons in the Geometry Editor, I was holding CTRL while Clicking/Dragging the mouse to "Add to Selection"...

If you happen to select any Polygons by accident that you don't want to delete, Hold ALT while clicking/Dragging across them to "Unselect" them without losing the Selections you've already made that you want to keep.

Assuming I successfully get the video linked here, take a look, make sure to change the resolution to 1080 to be able to read the text and ask any questions you might have...

Post edited by Phatmartino on
  • ps2000ps2000 Posts: 278
    edited May 2021

Wouldn't it be possible to delete the parts you don't want with geometry editor (delete polygons) and then save the rest?

Post edited by ps2000 on