Mid-century Diving Board

This is an imperfect recreation of the diving board installed in the Beverly Hills Hilton in 1953, when it was constructed. So far as I can tell, it didn't remain at the hotel for long, but it was used in a series of photos with Vikki Dougan for LIFE magazine around 1953 (perhaps a bit of a PR shot for the hotel disguised as a celebrity shoot). Because I could only find the photoshoot images and two other hotel shots, a lot of details are unknown and guessed at, however, this is a decent aproximation of a particularly interesting bit of recreational architecture.

You may want to adjust the scale for shots at the top—I found ~90% was best for on the board, while looking at shots of Vikki climbing up the latter suggests the scale it's provided in (~70%). The dimensions are really just guesses because the photoreferences don't provide much to aproximate accurately from. 

Thank for the help provided in this thread. The top render is a recreation of one of the original Vikki Dougan shots, which is posted in that thread.

You can find the freebie here.

Comments