hypercube sought

edited December 1969 in The Commons

I'm looking for this effect. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-WyreE9ZkI

Bryce has a wire like cube which you could duplicate, decrease in size and place in center of larger cube. But there's no connecting arms between the two and none of the "lines" can be morphed but for size. Anyone know of a free morphing hypercube obj out there? Someone could offer a price to make me one. Seems easy enough if you've got the right program.

Comments

• Cayman StudiosCayman Studios Posts: 1,135
    edited December 1969

Isn't the point of this precisely that it cannot be constructed in 3 dimensional space? It is a bit like one of Escher's drawings. You could construct a model that looked like it from one angle, but once you shift position the illusion breaks.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,577
    edited December 1969

Making the shape would be simple. Rigging it, however, might be quite challenging depending on how automatic it needed to be.

• edited December 1969

Are yous familiar with the program 123 3D?

In any case, yes about the 4D effects... many models and theories but who knows what's up there, which should be a pun. I think it's more like a field or some kind of plasma fluidity along with a kind of time field. All else is our limited perceptions that see lines etc. in our analog to Flat Land.

Anyway... I'm just looking for the visual Effect; of the process of In and Out. I'll experiment in Bryce with angular perspective and maybe I can fake it. I asked earlier about the font to mesh converter because I'm going to place the Enochian letters at the (morphing) nodes of the hypercube, or "hypercube."

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited November 2014

Cayman said:
    Isn't the point of this precisely that it cannot be constructed in 3 dimensional space? It is a bit like one of Escher's drawings. You could construct a model that looked like it from one angle, but once you shift position the illusion breaks.

We're doing apparently-3D images in Daz Studio or Poser or Bryce or Blender or (you get the idea), on a 2D monitor surface. kzerial just wants to kick it up a notch.

As for hypercubes, haven't seen one available myself. You may have to make one...

Post edited by robkelk on
  • Charles WestCharles West Posts: 123
    edited December 1969

Making the shape would be simple. Rigging it, however, might be quite challenging depending on how automatic it needed to be.

I can see in my mind a pipe within a pipe for each edge and angle with no showing pipes through transparency to do the framework but the flat plane for each square following the pipes ouch my mind hurts already.... I see the square hole in a square pipe turning it self inside out .... I guess I need to play with it more.

• edited December 1969

I would love to kick it up a metaphysical notch. There's neither a hypercube or dna object in all of DAZ land... So it's a bit difficult right now.

Found a pro dna object at a site that has models for researchers and teachers. $40..... They're not responding to my emails (even if I was going to dish all that out). The same site had a free version which they no longer offer and lost mine when my hard drive went.

I need a program - a %$#@!! plugin for Bryce - that can shape and morph all the Platonic Solids etc.

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

kzerial said:
    I would love to kick it up a metaphysical notch. There's neither a hypercube or dna object in all of DAZ land... So it's a bit difficult right now.

Found a pro dna object at a site that has models for researchers and teachers. $40..... They're not responding to my emails (even if I was going to dish all that out). The same site had a free version which they no longer offer and lost mine when my hard drive went.

I need a program - a %$#@!! plugin for Bryce - that can shape and morph all the Platonic Solids etc.

RDNA has a "tech" type DNA helix in their freebies. Zygote sells a DNA model. It was one of their monthly freebies a number of years ago.

• edited December 1969

Have a link to the page as using search, with their site name adding to the mix apparently, seems to bring everything else up?

Zygote was where I got that from... They for some reason have Never responded to any of my emails. Could try Renderosity.

Have anymore pics like your avatar?

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,268
    edited December 1969

Did you bring this up because of the scene near the end of the new movie "Interstellar" of being inside a tesseract?

• Charles WestCharles West Posts: 123
    edited November 2014

Well it looks like the weird rotation can be accomplised now to repeat it and get proper lengths on the rods then ... Be sure and click on the image since I cant save gif in a non optimized version.

Untitled-1.gif
    257 x 270 - 62K
    Post edited by Charles West on
  • MadbatMadbat Posts: 382
    edited December 1969

The only 3d representations I've seen of 4D objects were made in povray, which had the capacity to do the proper math. You could even render animations using a clock function to translate, scale and rotate the object in 4D space.

• edited November 2014

No I never heard of that movie but the stellated (tilted) hypercube is a tesseract. What were the highlights of the movie? Sounds like we may have a synchonicity here.

Don't know why zygote won't answer emails even when it's about making an order.

I don't know what to make of that Caligreal. But I'll guess you were attempting to map the "connecting bars" to each of the two cubes. That is the trick so we need that damn plugin.

Povray... life is too short for more complexity!

Post edited by mpam76895_15961369c9 on
    edited November 2014

Trailer:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vxOhd4qlnA

Science:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQye2XkvDpo

Basically, trying to not give spoilers, the movie is about the Earth biodiversity dying (ostensibly "because of the excesses of the 20th and early 21st century) and mankind needs to move to a new neighborhood beyond the Solar System. Time period seems to be late 2000s.

Through mysterious circumstances an ex NASA pilot is found and tagged to pilot the last remaining space ship through a recently mysteriously appearing wormhole near Saturn. Several planets are visible through the wormhole and hope is high that at least one of them is a viable planet for the Earth migration if only they can solve the problems with control of gravity so that they can launch a huge Earth bound space station into space. The NASA pilot and his crew scout through the wormhole (thus the wormhole scene). One planet is orbiting close to a black hole, one is too cold and one is just right (shades of Goldilocks and the Three Bears) but which one is the suitable planet is uncertain.

The mission doesn't go well and two crew members fall through the blackhole (thus the blackhole scene) and finds themselves in a higher dimension outside of time and space (thus the tesseract scene).

Major scientific talent was used on this film to try to get the science right. The blackhole scenes are touted as the most accurate representations in film of these phenomena. Also, the view from inside the tesseract is very interesting.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • edited December 1969

Thanks. I was wondering, actually, if there might be leaked info. Sounds like the basic, or official, models however. Dr. Paul LaViolette (et al), via observation and computer models debunks the reality of black holes. Walter Russell's model says same if I recall. Actually, Most of the models we have are incorrect and They know it. It's a maze of theories predicated on math gaming - all the while They actually do have the real tech for electro-gravitics and all the rest. Nassim H highlights black holes but calls this stuff singularities which are ubiquitous... This may be better as I think he is making a distinction twixt Black Holes and what a singularity is overall.

Maybe someone else could try emailing Zygote! I need that damn helix and tesseract. Ha!

• Ryuu@AMcCFRyuu@AMcCF Posts: 625
    edited December 1969

I don't know if this might help. I know there are more elegant ways of doing what you want, but after thinking about it, it should be easy to fake it:

You could try doing the 2 cubes made up of thin pipes, one inside the other, then add in the eight pipes to connect their corners as props.

I suggest that you also incorporate small spheres at each of the cube corners (small enough to hide inside the pipes) & give each of them individual names (C1UNE, C1USE, C1USW, C1UNW, C1LNE...etc) In case you're confused, the C# stands for whichever cube, U/L if for Upper/Lower, & NEWS for North, East, West, & South. That's just to keep things logical. Also, name the connecting pipes in the same manner (UNE, USE, USW, etc).

Set the spheres as children to their resptive cubes. Then set the pipes as children of ONE set of spheres & conncected at one end.

Of course, Poser won't allow you to parrent the props to more than one object--but what you can do is have those floating pipes POINT TO the corresponding spheres at the corners of the opposite cube!

Then, as you move & resize the two cubes, the pipes will move around and keep aiming at their respective targets. You'll need to manually tweak the lengths of the connecting pipes as the cubes interact in your scene, but if you get a smoothed out animation of your cubes, then the lengths will vary in a smooth sinusodial manner & will make tweaking them much easier.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,577
    edited December 1969

The blackhole scenes are touted as the most accurate representations in film of these phenomena.

I guess the bar is low, so it could be most accurate and still inaccurate, but I thought the general view was that the tidal forces approaching a black hole's event horizon would be so strong that they'd tear atoms apart, never mind a macroscopic spaceship or person. And wouldn't the entire history of the universe elapse before the event horizon was reached due to time-dilation?

edited November 2014

The blackhole scenes are touted as the most accurate representations in film of these phenomena.

I guess the bar is low, so it could be most accurate and still inaccurate, but I thought the general view was that the tidal forces approaching a black hole's event horizon would be so strong that they'd tear atoms apart, never mind a macroscopic spaceship or person. And wouldn't the entire history of the universe elapse before the event horizon was reached due to time-dilation?

Sorry: I should have specified. The view of the black hole from a safe distance outside the event horizon is most accurate.

The view going through and inside is of course still pure conjecture, and artistic license applies. Although, some knowledgeable people contend that when approaching a large enough black hole, the tidal forces would be almost unnoticeable and you'd just slide through able to see things behind you but not below you closer into the hole and survive until you got much closer to the singularity at the exact center. There is also some serious conjecture that there are different categories of blackhole, some without an event horizon at all, depending, I think on the spin. There was an article in Scientific American a year or so ago that talked about "Naked Singularities". However, the problem of raging X-Rays is still probably the biggest threat to even getting close to a feeding blackhole.

And of course you don't want to approach from the poles of a super massive blackhole at the center of a galaxy while it is in its feeding mode, where you might get blasted by cosmic jets of energy that cross inter-galactic space and fry stars in their path. Boy, talk about a weapon of mass destruction! Every army should have one. Wipe out a thousand civilizations at a time!

• edited December 1969

Thanks. I'd try this if the cube was needed for several scenes. I'll try experimenting with reflective surfaces.... It doesn't have to be exact, just dynamic.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Sorry: I should have specified. The view of the black hole from a safe distance outside the event horizon is most accurate.

Kip Thorne? They got hold of Kip Thorne to work on this and he hadn't run away screaming in the middle of the first story conference?

For the curious, Kip Thorne is one of the scientists who pretty much defined what a black hole is and how it's expected to behave. If he says everything on screen is there in the equations, believe him. The bit about the accretion disc appearing to twist is obvious in hindsight, but it's something no-one ever thought about before except in terms of pure mathematics.

FWIW, I'm only squeeing over the black hole SFX, the film's actual plot doesn't seem to be anything to write home about... ;-P

edited November 2014

FWIW, I'm only squeeing over the black hole SFX, the film's actual plot doesn't seem to be anything to write home about... ;-P

No, I agree, the plot isn't fantastic. It would have made a good sci-fi story 10 or 20 years ago but we've been bombarded with science fiction plots for 50 years now and I think we're getting jaded. It takes more and more to please us. I went to see the special effects because of Kip Thorne's contribution. Yeah, as you say, the plot is sort of ho-hum. And as I pointed out in one of my earlier posts, the plot of "Goldilocks and the Three Bears" is basically the foundation of this story. I would rather have seen more effects and less dialog. Three hours was too much. I had to avoid having a soda in the theater or I wouldn't have been able to avoid a bathroom run. But I did come out of the theater satisfied.

I am happy that it wasn't yet another "aliens attack Earth" type of story, nor an "evil government agency conspires to kill the mission" type of story. God, I hate those! It was just a handful of people, desperate and semi-crazy, in an unknown remote galaxy, unimaginably isolated from the rest of humanity, having to deal with basic human foibles while trying to save the human race.

I'd often thought I'd like to see Azimov's "Foundation" series from "Foundation" up through "Foundation and Earth" or Heinlein's "Stranger in a Strange Land" But neither would seem to be well suited to the screen. Too much thinking involved and not enough opportunity for special effects. The "Foundation" series covers thousands of years and the personal space ships in the "Foundation" stories are not much more than high tech motorhomes. Small but comfortable quarters for three or four people on a few days or weeks journey to anyplace in the galaxy. since the time frame is thousands of years, the wars are mere blips on the screen, but the conversations between people relaxing in the private space ships would take the majority of the screen time. No audience would sit still for it.

And "Stranger in a Strange Land" is all about political, religious, and corporate greed surrounding a messiah story. Too preachy, but the hippies in the 60s & 70s used it as a handbook for communal living, free love and "down with the man" ideas.

• edited December 1969

Read Paul LaViolette's work and you'll see there's been no actual Observation supporting this. Further, computer models on collapse showed that event horizons are breached. It's not a black hole but a massive star.