Suggestions, Requests, and Complaints

mwokeemwokee Posts: 1,275
edited December 1969 in Product Suggestions

I create images for commercial purposes and freelance art on the side. Commercial is a huge market that you're missing since you're primarily focused on gaming and fantasy art. I do create fantasy art, but it's for fun. The businessman-riding-subway is where I make money and you could do well to provide more tools for commercial graphics.

It would be great if you had better quality office scenes and business clothing for people characters. Heck, a t-shirt and blue jeans would be nice (not much to choose from there), do clothes always have to be falling off and just-plain-weird? More realistic city and street scenes. More realistic cars, both modern and vintage. Subway and train stations, office buildings, freeway ramps and roads, country highways, realistic farm scenes. Anything you can think of for the modern world. You don't even have a cruise ship or normal looking airplanes. I found one decent semi tractor trailer truck but you don't have an option to remove the goofy graphics to make it look more realistic. A realistic muscle car would be great too, just don't give it goofy graphics, three headlights, and five wheels. I'm essentially saying you have virtually nothing that's a realistic version of objects in the modern world. The ones you do have, the artists have to stamp a skull on it or some other over-the-top twist. How about a doctor that looks like a doctor and not a poster boy for evil? I could go on and on.

I also do fantasy. You have plenty of woodland vixens and sci-fi babes with big boobs but very little beyond that. Cavemen, knights, wizards, cowboys, scientists, sailors, etc., etc., etc., they are all lacking. You need more monsters, and monsters that look like monsters. Some of the creatures currently in inventory, I have to squint my eyes and try to figure out what I'm looking at. In a visual world, the eye needs to instantly recognize what it's looking at. If the viewer has to stop and think, then the image is a failure. Communicating visually is an art unto itself and it's a concept that needs to be mastered. If there are any, I can't find a decent Frankenstein, mummy, or any other traditional monster. I'm not interested in blobs with tentacles because blobs with tentacles is the result of an artist trying too hard.

Sometimes simple is better.

How about some clothing and hair bundles? You get a character and it might come with a top and some kind of pants or dress. Do any come with shoes? A suite of shoes, tops, bottoms, shirts, pants, fantasy clothing bundles, business clothing bundles, casual bundles, party bundles, dress bundles, hair bundles. I'm tired of searching for outfits that fit every frikken character out there except the ones I purchased. You want a pair of shoes? I find a pair of shoes but it's an accessory to a package I don't want to purchase. Just give me an inventory of shoes for Genesis/whatever along with other wardrobe suites and bundles.

Lastly, a few complaints: I have purchased some of the JPEG background files and am irritated with the sloppiness in many of them. They are grainy and noisy and need to be fixed before they are usable. I am required to meet certain technical standards in the commercial world and background JPEGs at Daz do not meet those standards. Daz would do well to provide a greater variety of backgrounds that are TECHNICALLY CORRECT.

Thanks

Comments

• mfourniermfournier Posts: 19
    edited December 1969

Very good suggestions. But it sounds like you have actually realized the drawback of Daz Studio and Poser to begin with vs learning Maya 3D studio or Lightwave and learning how to model and texture your own models. you are never dependent on what someone else already created to create your art you can create it yourself. (I myself started with StrataPro and Infini-D way back when)

I love playing around with Daz3d and the Daz figures are great for what they are but I turn to Maya for professional work for the very reasons you state the models I create are MINE I may use with a Mesh I bought from time to time but learn to model and you quickly accumulate a hard drive full of base models. I know full feature 3D package like Maya Z-brush and such are not cheap but ether is buying models every time you need something for a image. I love Daz3D for what it can do well but there is soooo much it can not do you quickly reach frustration if you want your work to be uniquely yours.

• Aave NainenAave Nainen Posts: 1,108
    edited December 1969

My primary focus as a PA with DAZ is reality based clothing......stuff that people would actually wear in daily life. I take a unique approach to provide time saving draped morphs that match base figure poses and most respond quite well to tweaking to fit a variety of character shapes. I also try to provide Full Body Morphs for whichever figures are available when I create the wardrobe pieces. Have a look in my store the next time you need some real life clothing styles.

http://www.daz3d.com/aave-nainen