New! Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 14

Comments

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944

Your lawn looks great. We generally don't have that trouble with brown lawns in Kentucky because most don't plant zosia or bermuda grass. I believe bermuda won't even grow here because it's too cold.

I have been redoing my yard too. Planted a lot of fruit & nut trees. 2 were actually killed be the 3 weeks of 95+ temperatures. Granted, they were already stressed because my yard sits near or even over a limestone cave and there is lots of limestone bedrock hidden below the surface. Quite a bit is exposed too. I have a couple trees that haven't even grown a food in over 5 years since being planted because apparently I chose locations for those two directly over limestone bedrock that isn't very deep (but deeper than the 2' I needed to plant those trees to begin with).

The (extremely) higher humidity here though has turned every "old world fruit tree"  (eg peach, nectarine, apple, pear, apricot, or plum) into a non-bearing disaster via either cedar-apple rust, brown rot, or now fire blight. However, the trees all look great except the 1 nectarine and 1 peach, and 3 of the apples so I will continue trying to figure out how to properly treat them to kill the fungal and bacterial diseases plaguing them. I'm apparently supposed to do all that in these parts in October & February rather than April like I have been doing.

If that doesn't work out I will cut them and use North America natives instead like Virginia Persimmon, Paw Paw, Mayhaw, and a few others. Not as nearly a big selection as the Europe based fruits as farmer selection has not being going on nearly so long.

I'll also scalp the lawn next year and overseed with sheep fescue and mini-clover.

My goal is to minimize number of times lawn needs mowed per year via shade from trees and having a lawn of sheep fescue and mini-clover. I will buy me 2 or 3 of those lawn mower robots when I'm satisfied they'll do the job and have sufficient GEO tracing built in to keep them from being stolen. 

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited August 2022

In our neighborhood (which has an association) chain link aren't allowed. Which is kinda dumb because in hurricanes, the wind would go through them and they would at least be standing. 
    Speaking of which, go to tropicaltidbits.com and up at the top, click FORECAST MODELS. Then when that page pops up, go below the graphic to REGIONS and click North Atlantic. Scroll and watch the GFS model. Right now on about August 28th, Pensacola is possibly going to get impacted by a tropical storm, it was looking like a hurricane but last run has it toned down. (Here's hoping.) GFS has been consistent with that the past three days that something will come up from GOM (Gulf Of Mexico.) 

Post edited by Novica on

@nonesuch00   Interesting! I hadn't even heard of  sheep fescue.This sod is a type of zoshia (if spelled right, I didn't look it up.)  It does well in sun and shade. I'm sure a bunch of hybrid grass will be on the horizon which is more heat/water adaptive. We have azaelas which bloom a lot longer and more seasons, it used to be only early spring and now they go all summer. My husband was so surprised at the blooms almost year round. 

Been raining since 4am here. Wish we could build a pipeline and send it west. I've dumped those tubs twice already. Really strong storms this morning woke me up.

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,280

My backyard needs mowing as you can see in the earlier pic I posted. I have been trying all week but mother nature has been most uncooperative with just enough rain daily to keep it to wet to mowangry

At this rate I will need a hay baler

Ah, found another one by accident- this band does what the first one should have done (and yes, I literally thought that when Army only got a disappointing star, I was thinking "Wow, the Army is known for tanks!" )  and made a TANK with rolling wheels for the Army song! And then, how clever to turn part of it into portholes! And note the submarine going under the water!  The videography isn't as good as the first video, so the band seems washed out. it would have been more impressive if they alternated going closer to the field, but it's still nicely done with things the first one didn't have.

Wow, no closeups on The Mount Olympus. It's by Polish, so I am surprised there's no detail shots. I'd like to see that Zeus statue up close.

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,276
    edited August 2022

Will this do? 

MTOlympus.jpg
    1530 x 1261 - 765K
    Post edited by nemesis10 on

@nemesis10  Thanks!  That fresco in the background looks really detailed too. 

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,246

Looks like a relief, not a fresco.

Novica said:

@nonesuch00   Interesting! I hadn't even heard of  sheep fescue.This sod is a type of zoshia (if spelled right, I didn't look it up.)  It does well in sun and shade. I'm sure a bunch of hybrid grass will be on the horizon which is more heat/water adaptive. We have azaelas which bloom a lot longer and more seasons, it used to be only early spring and now they go all summer. My husband was so surprised at the blooms almost year round. 

Been raining since 4am here. Wish we could build a pipeline and send it west. I've dumped those tubs twice already. Really strong storms this morning woke me up.

I have some steep grade hillsides in a couple places on my yard and I'm going to turn them into azalea and rhododendren gardens. Thanks for reminding me!

If you want something that reblooms I have a Yellow Rose of Texas (which is actually a plant that looks like very thin bamboo stalks about 8' high with many double yellow flowers that look like yellow carnations a bit) that blooms spring through summer and spreads easily but not invasively. Maybe it blooms in Florida year round? Look it up and see. I'm not sure where you can buy them though, my mom and her friends got these at a old barn that is more than 100 years old about 20 years ago and gave me some of them about 8 years ago. PM if you might one a root or two of them this fall.  

@nonesuch00   That is so sweet, thank you!  I appreciate the offer, I just don't have anywhere to put another plant. What I have already exploded in growth and my "shrubs" are now full blown trees, crowding each other out. My favorite tree is the Confederate Rose, which blooms white, turns ruffled pink (still has white with pink edges), then goes light pink in another 4 hours, then dark pink 4 hours after that, then the bloom dies, doesn't come back the next day. But for a month or more the blooms are perpetually popping out every day so the tree is always loaded, and seeing the entire tree in different colors merely a few hours apart is always delightful. 

edited August 2022
  • nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,276
    edited August 2022

Robert Freise said:

Info on Yellow Rose Of Texas 

https://dengarden.com/gardening/The-Yellow-Rose-of-Texas-isnt-from-Texas

https://conservationgardenpark.org/plants/734/harisons-yellow-rose

That is a weird coincidence!   My family was just talking about the song "The Yellow Rose of Texas" (my family is heavily biracial for several generations): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Yellow_Rose_of_Texas_(song)

Post edited by nemesis10 on

nemesis10 said:

Robert Freise said:

That is a weird coincidence!   My family was just talking about the song "The Yellow Rose of Texas" (my family is heavily biracial for several generations): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Yellow_Rose_of_Texas_(song)

On my mothers side of the family I have traced back and found that one branch includes Pancho Villa and another includes a Father Flores that was one of the founders of Nacogdoches Tx

edited August 2022

Addy Lyla (G8F)      Calm Corner With Poses (G8)     dF VYK Romantic Boho (G3/G8/8.1F)     dF Denim Diva (G8F)          Ethel Hair (G8/8.1F) 

AJC Pro Skate Top (G8F/G8.1F) 

SilvaAnt3D has given us a real treasure with that room. SO many props!   I fell in love with Lyla and she was in a sale either yesterday or day before, I tweaked her eyebrows slightly (changed the arch, slimmed slightly), enlarged both her irises and pupils, and angled the eyes a touch. Nothing else was changed. She is quite delightful!

Now about that Boho- the arms do not come out (or hands) so it is a bit weird, I just wanted to play. The nice thing is, you can study the dForce settings and do on your own materials :)   The dForce is amazing, did all the draping beautifully. So I did a really hard pose, with one leg tucked, other leg knee bent, etc, and will show you that pose with the Boho and with simple clothes so you can see what the Boho did. 

One note on the Ethel Hair- BE SURE AND LOOK IN SCENE- it has most of the movement over there for individual sections. 

Here's the pose for the Boho in the next image.

Here's the Boho with transparency 1.27

Here's a different pose, you can tell where the legs are. The couch did come through, I left it so this will give you an idea of out of the box for the dForce.

Lyla 2.png
    900 x 900 - 2M
    Lyla.png
    900 x 900 - 2M
    Lyla 3.png
    797 x 891 - 1M
    Lyla 4.png
    900 x 900 - 2M
    Post edited by Novica on
  • PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591

nonesuch00 said:

Personally, I feel those freckles look as if they are on the surface of the skin but in real life they are below the surface of the skin.

Can you adjust the geoshell to look better? Iirc when I was playing with them to create a mask you could move it away from the original mesh.

nemesis10 said:

Robert Freise said:

Those aren't the ones I was told, although that one from the Caucacus mountains is gorgeous and I'll have to try & get one (the Harrison's derivative).

This below is the Yellow Rose of Texas I was talking about. I've seen them growing wild as far south as the Rio Grande River on the border with Mexico. Texas itself is rich in wildflowers. I loved going on bivouac in the early springs for the military. Fields would be covered in blooming wildflowers.

Yellow Rose of Texas (uada.edu)

Novica said:

@nonesuch00   That is so sweet, thank you!  I appreciate the offer, I just don't have anywhere to put another plant. What I have already exploded in growth and my "shrubs" are now full blown trees, crowding each other out. My favorite tree is the Confederate Rose, which blooms white, turns ruffled pink (still has white with pink edges), then goes light pink in another 4 hours, then dark pink 4 hours after that, then the bloom dies, doesn't come back the next day. But for a month or more the blooms are perpetually popping out every day so the tree is always loaded, and seeing the entire tree in different colors merely a few hours apart is always delightful. 

No problem. Saves me some hassle, LOL.

It looks like a close relative of hollyhocks when I looked it up but the latin name indicates close relation to Rose of Sharon/Hibiscus. I always wondered if marshmallows use those plants as an ingredient but forget to look it up. I have one of my Grandma's hibicus I got from me mom who go it from her mom and that plant is older than I am! It's in my back yard.

Pendraia said:

nonesuch00 said:

Personally, I feel those freckles look as if they are on the surface of the skin but in real life they are below the surface of the skin.

Can you adjust the geoshell to look better? Iirc when I was playing with them to create a mask you could move it away from the original mesh.

I didn't buy the product just made an observation from their ad renders.

• xmasrose (aka tulipe)xmasrose (aka tulipe) Posts: 1,403
    edited August 2022

I need your help! Do you know how to create a new tag in the gallery? Thank you.

You can see the thread I made a few days ago, here. But nobody seemed to know about it.

My latest render : Oops!

Post edited by xmasrose (aka tulipe) on
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,045

Started off with 1002 nights which is a 3Delight figure so first thing was to select everything, go to Surface tab and select all surfaces and then run Iray Uber base on them.

Next I changed everything to PBR Specular/Glossiness. I always do this as I find it easier to set the surfaces to the way I want them, except for any metal parts which I leave at Metallicity/Roughness.

It is hard to describe the rest as it depends on the Figure :) Basically I change the Diffuse Colour to White, leaving the maps in place; Glossy Layered Weight to 1.00; Glossy Colour to White; Scatter Only; Glossy Specular at 0.040/0.040/0.040; Glossiness and Glossy Anisotropy get changed depending on how much I want each surface shiny and how much I want it to spread across the surface; Refraction Index and Refraction Weight gets changed, again depending on what the surface is made of.

Next is the Lighting. Normally I would use the lighting in the building or make the ceiling Emissive. The ceiling didn't work and there are no lights within the building so rather than go to the tedious way and add individual lights I went for iRadiance - Light Probe HDR Lighting for Iray - Expansion 5 DTLP6 - Light Probe 03 - Soft. As this is a HDRI in the Environment Dome and there are only a few openings in the wall this didn't work :) I used the Finite Box setting under Dome Mode and shrank it down, using the width/depth/height sliders, so that it roughly fit into the interior of the building i.e. inside the walls, and used the x/y/z Origin sliders to move the Dome to centre it over the building. I then rotated the Dome to get the light as I wanted it and test rendered to check how it looked.

I added the long table from Asian Court 1 Decor 1, again ran Iray Uber Shader then fixed the surfaces and added a Linear Point Light with light geometry set to Cylinder and resized to fit the candles. I also used the Iray Wax Shader on the candle wax to get the 'light through wax' effect. The dinner settings are from Medieval Dinner Hall Props, the bottle in the middle of the table from The Bride's Gold and glasses from Moonshine's Diner Interior 111

The two figures were added which are Lorenzo Lowrez Arab and Arab Base.

I hope that was of interest.

The Heated Discussion

2022-08-21 11:37:36.385 Total Rendering Time: 3 hours 43 minutes 12.78 seconds

Click on image for full size.

xmasrose (aka tulipe) said:

I need your help! Do you know how to create a new tag in the gallery? Thank you.

You can see the thread I made a few days ago, here. But nobody seemed to know about it.

My latest render : Oops!

I haven't used the gallery in over a year IIRC, but I would suggest PMing the gallery moderators. Do we know who they are?
    Nice lighting on that render. 

edited August 2022

@fishtales The table is a perfect fit for that scene. 
    I know what you mean about having to fiddle with lights with sets like that. A lot of fiddlin' involved. I cheat and remove a wall whenever possible LOL. Or the ceiling. You made a lot more effort which is commendable.

Post edited by Novica on
  • Thank you @Novica, I have no clue about the gallery's moderators either frown

Thank you @Novica, I have no clue about the gallery's moderators either frown

So you got me curious and I just added my Lyla to the gallery. I couldn't add new tags either, just ones that popped up. Interesting though- Novica and Novica's Nook were tags. Does the tag list have your gallery name? 

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,045

Novica said:

@fishtales The table is a perfect fit for that scene. 
    I know what you mean about having to fiddle with lights with sets like that. A lot of fiddlin' involved. I cheat and remove a wall whenever possible LOL. Or the ceiling. You made a lot more effort which is commendable.

I always feel that removing walls and or ceiling gives a false light unless it looks like the light is coming through a window or skylight, and even then it doesn't seem to look quite right to me. i think it is better to try for internal lighting, or light coming through a real window, so that the light bounces naturally round the room.

I'm not decrying the method it just isn't for me. 

• xmasrose (aka tulipe)xmasrose (aka tulipe) Posts: 1,403
    edited August 2022

Unfortunately no. That's one of the tag I was trying to create. Maybe because my Daz name is too long.

Novica said:

So you got me curious and I just added my Lyla to the gallery. I couldn't add new tags either, just ones that popped up. Interesting though- Novica and Novica's Nook were tags. Does the tag list have your gallery name? 

Post edited by xmasrose (aka tulipe) on
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,167
    edited August 2022

Thank you @Novica, I have no clue about the gallery's moderators either frown

One of original ones was  @DAZ_ann0314 - I don't know if that's still true? 

Post edited by MelanieL on

Fishtales said:

I always feel that removing walls and or ceiling gives a false light unless it looks like the light is coming through a window or skylight, and even then it doesn't seem to look quite right to me. i think it is better to try for internal lighting, or light coming through a real window, so that the light bounces naturally round the room.

I'm not decrying the method it just isn't for me. 

No offense taken :)     

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591

nonesuch00 said:

Pendraia said:

nonesuch00 said:

I didn't buy the product just made an observation from their ad renders.

Fair enough...