HDRI zoom/pan/full

Hey everyone! I've started working with HDRIs and I've seen dozens of videos and read dozens of articles but I still don't understand how these things work. I would like to accomplish something very simple - zoom in and out.
The pic below is an example: if I zoom in and out (mouse wheel) only the model changes. The same thing happens if I use the view button on the viewport.
I've changed render settings, sizes... I'm really lost with this.

My point is,
1. what on earth do I need to do to get closer to, say, the high voltage sign at the back?!

and since I'm here,
2.how do I see the full hdri?! This is only a small part of the backgound street.

and
3. how do I pan up and down?!

thank you so much! :)

Screenshot (42).png
1914 x 1147 - 1M
Screenshot (43).png
567 x 1144 - 73K
Screenshot (44).png
562 x 1125 - 104K

Comments

• JVRendererJVRenderer Posts: 661
    edited February 2021

1. you can't

2. you use a 2d editor to see it, but it won't be making sense, because it's a map of a sphere flattened out.

3; you don't. Since the HDRi is projected on a dome (half sphere, you can only 'see' the upper half.  You can however, rotate the dome x, y, z axis. That is how you see the HDRi map

dome.jpg
    612 x 1080 - 254K
    Post edited by JVRenderer on
  • 1. you can't

2. you use a 2d editor to see it, but it won't be making sense, because it's a map of a sphere flattened out.

3; you don't. Since the HDRi is projected on a dome (half sphere, you can only 'see' the upper half.  You can however, rotate the dome x, y, z axis. That is how you see the HDRi map

thanks! guess I'll stick with adding backgrounds and lights in photoshop. this system is not worth the trouble.
  • Tammuz43Tammuz43 Posts: 19
    edited February 2021

If you use an infinite sphere, the only way to change the part of the HDRI map that you see is to change the camera settings, focal length or rotation :

focal.jpg
    1920 x 300 - 162K
    rot.jpg
    1440 x 300 - 121K
    Post edited by Tammuz43 on
  • You can also use a finite sphere for the HDRI instead of an infinite sphere and the view will change when you move the camera.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,566

UnderlandDigital said:

JVRenderer said:

1. you can't

thanks! guess I'll stick with adding backgrounds and lights in photoshop. this system is not worth the trouble.

Have to disagree. Although you can't zoom around HDRIs, the benefit is that any reflective surface, including eyes, now have something to reflect no matter the angle which adds to the realism. If I need a specific background, I will use both HDRI and a plane with image for the best of both worlds.

• FSMCDesigns said:

UnderlandDigital said:

JVRenderer said:

1. you can't

Have to disagree. Although you can't zoom around HDRIs, the benefit is that any reflective surface, including eyes, now have something to reflect no matter the angle which adds to the realism. If I need a specific background, I will use both HDRI and a plane with image for the best of both worlds.

I get it but as a digital artist I can recreate thaty in photoshop to my taste, so to me it's easier :)

• deepred6502deepred6502 Posts: 297
    edited February 2021

On a side note, I'm working on an image using an HDRI by Whitemagus, some 3D figures in the foreground, and Now-Crowd billboards in the background.

When I load the billboards, the HDRI shadows "split" from the 3D figures as if the figures float off the ground (left), and only change back to the right position when I hide or delete the billboards (right). This happens regardless of camera angle or figure positioning (currently at 50mm focal length).

HDRI billboard on.jpg
    543 x 361 - 35K
    HDRI billboard off.jpg
    543 x 362 - 32K
    Post edited by deepred6502 on
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

deepred6502 said:

On a side note, I'm working on an image using an HDRI by Whitemagus, some 3D figures in the foreground, and Now-Crowd billboards in the background.

When I load the billboards, the HDRI shadows "split" from the 3D figures as if the figures float off the ground (left), and only change back to the right position when I hide or delete the billboards (right). This happens regardless of camera angle or figure positioning (currently at 50mm focal length).

Change ground from Auto to Manual. The ground position is changing to the bottom of the billboard, lowering it, which isn't where her feet are.

• deepred6502deepred6502 Posts: 297

Fishtales said:

deepred6502 said:

Change ground from Auto to Manual. The ground position is changing to the bottom of the billboard, lowering it, which isn't where her feet are.

Thanks, it all works now.