Lighting Model for DAZ Dragon 3

edited October 2014 in New Users

Hello, and thanks for taking my nooby question again! I'm getting much better at this, but I still have much to learn...

Yesterday I bought the DAZ Dragon 3 Pro Bundle and a few related items, including DAZ Dragon 3 Textures, and started working on my dragon. I applied the MAT Dragon Black material to my dragon and he looks good except that he's way too shiny (using UberEnvironment2 lights, 4x quality, any of the lighting presets, he still looks like a fancy black glitterdragon and I'm going for an evil and menacing look so obviously that's not a good thing).

Now, when this happened with other models I fixed it by going into the surfaces tab, switching the lighting model to Skin (or occasionally glossy plastic) and then fiddling with the specular strength and glossiness until it looked good. But I can't find a lighting model for DAZ Dragon 3 (I right-clicked on the Surfaces tab, then clicked Show Hidden Properties, still nothing) and no amount of fiddling seems to be doing anything to reduce the excessive shinyness.

I'm sure whatever I need to do is right in front of me but I don't know what it is. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT 2: I turned the bump strength down to 10%, that seems to have done the trick!

Post edited by christopher-2607496 on

Comments

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914
    edited December 1969

Just a guess as I don't have the model to try it, but try changing the specular colors from white to maybe a grey color.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,316
    edited October 2014

The Black texture for Dragon 3 uses the Ubershader and so doesn't have a lighting model dial, as kaotkbliss suggested change the spec colour to something darker. The ubershader has 2 Spec dials you can alter either or both it will be a matter if trial and error until you get what you want. Lighting will also play a part.

Removing the Spec maps might also help

Post edited by scorpio on
  • edited December 1969

Thanks. I set the specular colors down to a more greyish color from white and was able to turn the bump strength back up.. increased the pixel samples to 8x8 and turns the shading rate down 0.05 and now it looks really good. Renders a bit slow but I can always turn that down while I'm working.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited October 2014

and turns the shading rate down 0.05 and now it looks really good. Renders a bit slow but I can always turn that down while I'm working.

FWIW, most experienced users change the default Shading Rate of 1.0 (which is mainly for quickish test renders) down to 0.2 or 0.1 for a final render — anything lower than that doesn't really improve the render quality all that much, but it does slow the render right down. The thing to remember with render and light settings is that many of them are juggling acts; you have to balance render speed against render quality.
    Post edited by SpottedKitty on