October Carrara Challenge WIP Thread: Create a pulp magazine cover with Chills, Thrills, & Carrara S

Comments

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited December 1969

A couple more quick screenshots and then I probably won't be able to check back in until later in the week (hopefully I'll have time to do some of the little detail things I want to add to my image before the deadline).

I had a lot of fun playing with perspective and the relative sizes of objects in this second image, using a very low focal length to stretch the scene and using unexpected sizes to get things to look like they are further than they are. For example... the space station is actually closer to the camera than the front half of the spaceship, but it's very small relative size fools the eye into thinking it is much further away. :)

Here are three screenshots showing the actual distances between objects, a closeup of the section between the planet and the camera, and a quick render of the actual sizes of the objects when placed on the same plane.

Relative_Sizes.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 17K
    Top_NearCamera.JPG
    567 x 814 - 45K
    Top_Full.JPG
    295 x 861 - 16K
  • VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited December 1969

Here's my final picture.
    Trying to keep it simple, this time.
    There's no photo-shopping, except combining the text and background picture together.

Picture.jpg
    1200 x 1553 - 922K
    edited December 1969

The girl in the tube is V4 in a bodysuit.
    The scientists are Genesis, morphed into monkeys, (or ape, as they prefer to be called), and dressed in the Mad Doctor Lab Coat.

The cryogenic tubes are modelled in the vertex modeller.
    Positioned the girl in the scene, created a cylinder around here, and used this cylinder as a base for modelling the tubes.

The hose and wires on the tubes were constructed in their straight shape, and then using the modifier (which is my underused Carrara feature) to shape them. As described in picture.
    I could then use soft-select in the vertex modeller to adjust them in place.
    I did use the Spring Primitive from http://www.sparrowhawke3d.com to create the wires.

Untitled-7.jpg
    758 x 1999 - 500K
    Tube03.jpg
    790 x 742 - 252K
    Tube02.jpg
    790 x 742 - 193K
    Tube01.jpg
    790 x 742 - 205K
    monkey.jpg
    600 x 800 - 130K
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

You know, I wasn't even aware there was such a thing as the Bend & Twist modifier. I definitely need to go play with that!

• AntaraAntara Posts: 444
    edited December 1969

Varsel, I don't think I told you how much I love your models in this entry. From the crio-container to the wires and tubes and generators. And your rust shader is my favourite so far, and has the best integration into the image out of the entries so far. The vertical streaks are the best part for me - it's rust that's not just rust, but also the storytelling element that tells us how it happened, not just that it is old and decayed, but also - that it was standing somewhere for a very long time, getting periodically rained on or dripped on, creating these vertical rusty patterns.
    And thank you for the mini tutorial on spring modifications!

edited December 1969

Thanks Antara.
    I'm glad that somebody likes my modelling.

And since I have made a magazine cover...... gotta have a magazine..... :red:

Doc8.jpg
    800 x 600 - 271K
  • sukyLsukyL Posts: 251
    edited October 2014

MDO2010 Hi Mark sorry for not answering sooner about the rust shader. I spent the whole day yesterday in the middle of nowhere hiking in the real 3D world. It was a gorgeous day!

I can't believe how quickly you can knock out models. Cool new cover! I love the composition, rich colors, and the lens flare. Reminder to self…Must go get SparrowHawk's edge fall off shader!

In the interest of seeing as many completed works as possible, I'm going to say one unique rust shader and WIP about it is enough. Identify how it was applied in the new scene. The same is true for everyone and the other requirements. If you've already satisfied the requirements, and want to recycle elements in your second entry, I think that is acceptable.

evilproducer That's a beauty! Colors and gradients on the text is lovely. The detail is superb. I must have missed it before, but the skull has a great rim of red light just above the eye sockets. Nice touch there too. Another detail I really like is how the nacelle of the rocketship breaks through the lightrays in the upper left.

Antara I'm so happy to read you've decided which is going to be your final version. I made my husband choose one, and he voted for camera #4 too. About the batch rendering, I'm sure I've tried it in the past, but not for a while. I'm definitely going to need to render out some individual elements for compositing. That's definitely going to be a time saver. Thanks so much!

Varsel I think I've already said it earlier, but people and parts in tubes is my all time favorite pulp theme! My husband and I collect pulp magazines, and we scarf those up whenever we can. That is some spectacular modeling! I think when I saw your scene originally, I assumed it was premade content. Thanks for showing details about the Bend & Twist modifier too; great information there. I played with that modifier a bit on my containment vessel to make a morph for the supports along the side, but couldn't get it to be nearly as extreme as I wanted. Wow! I just scrolled down and saw your magazine model. Too perfect! Any chance of sharing? ;-)

Post edited by sukyL on
  • booksbydavidbooksbydavid Posts: 429
    edited December 1969

Varsel said:
    Here's my final picture.
    There's no photo-shopping, except combining the text and background picture together.

Love the concept. I want to read the story now. :)

• booksbydavidbooksbydavid Posts: 429
    edited December 1969

Thanks so much for the nice compliments everybody.

So far, all the work that has been displayed is absolutely amazing. Perhaps it is cliche, but the truth is the truth. ;-)

Pretty much says it all. Trying to keep up with this thread is almost impossible. Fast and furious.

edited October 2014

Varsel said:
    Here's my final picture.

Love the concept. I want to read the story now. :)

I'm so with you on that! I wish I had made a manuscript of the story inspiration a challenge requirement. Do you think it's too late to add that to the rules? ;-)

Post edited by sukyL on
    edited December 1969

sukyL said:

Varsel I think I've already said it earlier, but people and parts in tubes is my all time favorite pulp theme! My husband and I collect pulp magazines, and we scarf those up whenever we can. That is some spectacular modeling! I think when I saw your scene originally, I assumed it was premade content. Thanks for showing details about the Bend & Twist modifier too; great information there. I played with that modifier a bit on my containment vessel to make a morph for the supports along the side, but couldn't get it to be nearly as extreme as I wanted. Wow! I just scrolled down and saw your magazine model. Too perfect! Any chance of sharing? ;-)

Thanks. I love modelling. And I try to make as many as possible for these challenges.
    And since you asked so nicely : http://www.sharecg.com/v/78098/browse/5/3D-Model/Magazine-in-Carrara

I tried to upload it to the Cafe, but the place wouldn't let me do that.
    If anyone with Cafe Power read this, I could upload most of my models from these challenges ... if there are any interest.

edited December 1969

Varsel said:
    sukyL said:

Thanks. I love modelling. And I try to make as many as possible for these challenges.
    And since you asked so nicely : http://www.sharecg.com/v/78098/browse/5/3D-Model/Magazine-in-Carrara

I tried to upload it to the Cafe, but the place wouldn't let me do that.
    If anyone with Cafe Power read this, I could upload most of my models from these challenges ... if there are any interest.

ThankYou_copy.png
    600 x 800 - 298K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Very cool Varsel!

Here's a couple graphics for the lighting set-up. They're kind of crib note versions. Please, if I wasn't clear or detailed enough, don't be afraid to ask how I did this or that. I'm more than willing to go into more depth.

lighting_tut02.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 2M
    lighting_tut01.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 2M
    edited December 1969

Here are some screen caps of how I got the multi-colored leaves on the replicated vine branches.

First I set up the colors with a color gradient. I then tried the Elevation shader to drive the gradient, but I found it wasn't maybe as sensitive as I wanted. It also seemed more limited than what I wanted. Instead, I used the Environment shader, which has an elevation component. For some reason this worked better for me. I also could adjust other parameters if I wanted. Something the dedicated Elevation shader couldn't do.

For the glow, I copied the color gradient from the Color channel and pasted it into the Glow Channel. I only wanted the pink color to glow, so in the gradient, I changed the other keys to black.

Picture_16.png
    253 x 898 - 68K
    Picture_15.png
    1199 x 940 - 366K
    Picture_14.png
    720 x 518 - 89K
    Picture_13.png
    713 x 514 - 95K
    edited December 1969

Tim_A said:
    EP: Like the unobtainium gag! :)

Sorry I missed this one! Thanks. I went 'round and 'round trying to come up with a name gag, and then it hit me like a movie McGuffin!

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited October 2014

I don't think I'll have more time to play with this before the deadline so I rushed through a few last changes and I'm just going to submit as is. I added a few details to the ship and changed the shaders (I really liked the originals but they were just too busy looking). I did a final render with full indirect lighting. That one blew out the detail on the planet so I combined the planet from the prior render with the final fully lit render.

For post-work, I added the final titles, combined the two renders, adjust the colors slightly and added a little bit of blur around the engines.

Here are my final render with just the distant light (pre-changes to the spaceship also) from which I only took the planet, the final render with full indirect lighting and the final with postwork.

Final-with-Titles.jpg
    1429 x 2000 - 225K
    Render_03_NoAmb_Full_IDL.jpg
    1429 x 2000 - 117K
    Render_01.jpg
    1429 x 2000 - 106K
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,086
    edited December 1969

Where my first entry I went for an aged and damaged look, this one I tried for a clean hard scifi look with sharp colors like it’s fresh off the newsstand.

Mission accomplished, I'd say. Well done, Mark. I love this crisp render. I especially like how the lettering has that technical font feel to match the scifi subject. You work fast and skillfully, sir.

edited December 1969

Very nicely done Mark.

I may have a concept in mind. This is a test to see how complicated textures react with the 'toon filter. It's not bad, but I can see it will need some tweeking.

material_toon_test01.jpg
    640 x 800 - 161K
    material_test01.jpg
    640 x 800 - 161K
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,813
    edited December 1969

GOOD NEWS & BAD NEWS :-

Bad News first - I now will not have time to finish this months entry.

Good News - I have just been offered my first commission !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Once the commission is out of the way I will finish the entry as well as my spaceship to the better detail I wanted, than post the results for everyone to enjoy/have a chuckle over.

Will still be dropping in to see all of the great work being done this month, the quality, effort, interest, and love is being shown in HUGE amounts.

Keep up the great work everyone - these monthly Challenges are inspirational, educational, and fun as well !!!!!!!!!!

Regards, Bunyip

edited December 1969

Bad news - boooooo

Good news - hooray!

Congratulations, and good fortune. That is a great reason to set aside your challenge project for a while.

edited December 1969

Very nicely done Mark.

I may have a concept in mind. This is a test to see how complicated textures react with the 'toon filter. It's not bad, but I can see it will need some tweeking.

Excellent test. As you can see, the alpha region works to some degree but still has the outline line. That can be worked with for something like the dress but is more problematic if you want the alpha to create frayed edges. The basic toon filter can be edited, and the lines adjusted to some degree, as can the highlights and a few other things. Dynamic hair does not work at all, but prop hair like the one you have can work fine, other than the frayed edge factor.

You might want to play with YAToon, as well.

• d-j-od-j-o Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    Very nicely done Mark.

Excellent test. As you can see, the alpha region works to some degree but still has the outline line. That can be worked with for something like the dress but is more problematic if you want the alpha to create frayed edges. The basic toon filter can be edited, and the lines adjusted to some degree, as can the highlights and a few other things. Dynamic hair does not work at all, but prop hair like the one you have can work fine, other than the frayed edge factor.

Wow, I've been away on vacation and 32 pages in of WIP, going to be a good contest.

With YaToon, you can tweak each individual shader and have it override the main settings, that way you can make the outlines, thinner, a matching color, or even not have an outline. Here is the tutorial I used https://bitbucket.org/zgock/yatoon/wiki/Tutorial

edited December 1969

Vacation is over for me, but wanted to pop in before I'm off to work.

Evilproducer super cool environmental/elevation shading demo. I didn't know that existed! Definitely can see some uses for that.

MDO2010 so glad you got the second one done. Looks great!

Bunyip02 We still want to see your finished cover, so please post it in the submissions thread and add your WIP whenever you get a chance to finish it even though it won't make the vote. I'm so happy you have your first commission. That's so exciting! Best of luck to you.

edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    Very nicely done Mark.

No alpha on the dress. It's a slit dress, so that is the geometry. I'll keep it in mind about the alphas for any effects I may do. I may decide to alter it in post as I want a more comic book feel than a cell-shaded look.

edited December 1969

Bunyip02 said:
    GOOD NEWS & BAD NEWS :-

Bad News first - I now will not have time to finish this months entry.

Good News - I have just been offered my first commission !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Once the commission is out of the way I will finish the entry as well as my spaceship to the better detail I wanted, than post the results for everyone to enjoy/have a chuckle over.

Will still be dropping in to see all of the great work being done this month, the quality, effort, interest, and love is being shown in HUGE amounts.

Keep up the great work everyone - these monthly Challenges are inspirational, educational, and fun as well !!!!!!!!!!

Regards, Bunyip

That is great news about the commission! Remember us when you get famous! ;-)

edited December 1969

Everyone, i had to shorten the title of the submissions thread. It's now called, Carrara October Challenge: SUBMISSIONS THREAD. It's a new name but same great place to submit your entries. :-)

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    edited December 1969

Well I managed to get something together for my first challenge.
    I managed to get through some of PhilW's videos while I was sick last weekend.
    I will not be doing post work.
    So here is what I have.
    The shader creation, and layout of the Items including lights

Oct_challenge_item_placement.jpg
    1280 x 984 - 527K
    Oct_challenge_item_placement.jpg
    1280 x 984 - 527K
  • chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    edited December 1969

Here are the different versions I was playing with.
    I think I will go with number 3 as I think it works the best.

Oct_challenge_test_render_3.jpg
    800 x 1000 - 405K
    Oct_challenge_test_render_2.jpg
    800 x 1000 - 481K
    Oct_challenge_test_render.jpg
    800 x 1000 - 338K
    edited December 1969

Great to have you participating Chickenman! The more the merrier.

Good job on the entry you have. Love the I. P. Knightly joke. It reminds me of the old classic book, Down the Yellow River, by I. P. Daley.

So, have you been a Carrara user for awhile, or are you new to it? Anyway, welcome aboard, and if you have questions, or tips or tricks of your own, please feel free to ask or share!

• AntaraAntara Posts: 444
    edited December 1969

Here are the different versions I was playing with.
    I think I will go with number 3 as I think it works the best.

Great work!

I agree that our of these 3 as they are, the third works best, but, personally, I like the first one's composition best. It's the strongest in pulling the viewer in, I think. The lighting is less effective on the text in this one, however, I think it can be fixed by adding some glow to the text shaders (especially the dark text at the bottom). Doesn't need to be blaring in your face glow colors, just something to make the text stand out more, maybe even the same as text color, only toned down a bit to make the effect more subtle. Also, I believe you can add separate shaders to different parts of the text, so the glow could go only on the front facing polygons of the text, not to mess with the rest of the image at all.