Save, save, and save again and then Daz can't open the save.

alan bard newcomeralan bard newcomer Posts: 2,106
edited January 2021 in Daz Studio Discussion

save after you load some stuff then render then save again add some more stuff. 
save render save. 
then save again (just to be safe) and shut down daz so the mem usage will drop back from 58 to 10 and then Daz won't open. 
---
I the past month daz has started cranking up motherboard memory usage. 
---
Spent $250  on models last night...  dear daz.. next 250 is going to have to go to another 64g of ram 
---
scene file in question is about 9 lamh catalyzers animals but I rendered them one at a time in 1000x1000 pix... and the renders were fast. and not particularly large and the items not in the render were obviously turned off. 
---
And didn't blow out the video card memory cause the renders didn't use cpu
---
so after a few good hours.. wham 
---
any known reason for daz writting a file it can't access .. crashes immediatly to desktop
--- 
thought it might have been related to it being a 55k file but just loaded this 110k file with no problem 
---
but it's only that specfic file.. so that's good. 
What's not good is I saved the file steadily as I worked on it and added things... do we really have to create new saves when we back up?
---
first picture is the 110k file .. second one is a combo of the small renders I did but all the characters were in the file lost. 

big scene 110k.jpg
3166 x 1550 - 2M
fur faces only.jpg
4000 x 1184 - 1M
Post edited by alan bard newcomer on

Comments

• I have seen cases of files skipping a byte, or possibly mis-writing one, which renders them unopenable as theya re compressed. I don't know if this is down to DS (well, Qt I iamgine) or the system. Certainly when working I use incremental saves, any time there's a major change or just for safety after a while I add one to the number thats tarts the name and edit the rest of the name tor emind me what stage it's at; that's with a folder for each project, if they are in a common folder then you might want to go for something like "Animal Party 05 - posing fox" for example

• I do save a lot ...  this one was aaved multiple times but 8 figures just didn't seem that complex 
    and I was worried whether this was something like why is daz using ram so much lately 
    literally I have a number of renders ramp up 40g of ram duning a render. 
    ---
    I don't think I've had a file "die" before .. had problems with missing file etc while opening but not one failing to open. 
    ----
    so the fact that several other files have opened without problem is good.....  I won't yell and scream to much unless new saves start doing it more than the once in ten years and 10,000 render files. 

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,478

alan bard newcomer said:

I do save a lot ...  this one was aaved multiple times but 8 figures just didn't seem that complex 
    and I was worried whether this was something like why is daz using ram so much lately 
    literally I have a number of renders ramp up 40g of ram duning a render. 
    ---
    I don't think I've had a file "die" before .. had problems with missing file etc while opening but not one failing to open. 
    ----
    so the fact that several other files have opened without problem is good.....  I won't yell and scream to much unless new saves start doing it more than the once in ten years and 10,000 render files. 

Incremental save is a good way to ensure you don't loose "everything".

Adding to what Richard said, one way to render a file unreadable is to run out of space when saving - If you were closing DS and answered "Yes, save before closing", you don't get a warning for space having ran out -> The next time you try to open that file, it's unreadable. 

• Using Dropbox or another service is a life saver! Where they let you roll back a file or folder.

I never save compressed either, so I can open the file up. Try renaming the extension of the file to .zip and see if you can unzip it. I fyou can then try loading the file that was in the zip file.

• alan bard newcomeralan bard newcomer Posts: 2,106
    edited January 2021

It was saved on C drive with 20% or 200G available. So that shouldn't have been an issue.
    And where is there an option to turn off compression on scene file saves? 
    I think there's one if you save as a scene subset
    ---
    drop box is not a option with satelite net and only 100g of data a month.
    ---
    on the other hand I have 30T on line and adding another 12T 

Post edited by alan bard newcomer on
  • stupid me... it's not that the file won't open... it crashes daz. 
    Yes a please wait while we gather data crash... 
    It does open a bit then daz crashes.