strange pattern in final render

R25SR25S Posts: 595
edited September 2014 in New Users

last week my laptop totaly crashed so I had to buy a new one and I noticed that my renders have strange patterns (Skin, hair and parts of the cloth) and I don`t know where the problem lies.

new_gift.jpg
2000 x 1125 - 1M
Post edited by R25S on

Comments

• AJ2112AJ2112 Posts: 1,416
    edited December 1969

What lights are you using ? Reduce occlusion strength.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

yeah it depends on the lights but I would guess either Shading rate in the advanced render setting is too high. Or it could be down to a particular light or both Turning Occlusion down won't fix the issue AJ but more the quality of Occlusion settings will.

• R25SR25S Posts: 595
    edited September 2014

The light i use in this Picture is from the Gleam Set http://www.daz3d.com/gleam wich I use often in my renders without Problems.
    The Problem appears only from time to time wich makes it much more strange to me.

Thes are my Render Settings

Bucket Order: Horizontal
    Bucket Size: 16
    Max Ray Trace Depth: 2
    Pixel Sample (X), (Y): 4
    Shadow Samples: 16
    Gain: 1.00
    Gamma Correction: off
    Gamma: 1.00
    Shading Rate: 1.00
    Pixel Filter: Sinc
    Pixel Filter Width (X), (Y): 6.00

Post edited by R25S on
    edited December 1969

Shading rate is too high lower it to 0.20 possibly lower. Yeah lower is better quality and this is the main quality setting.

Pixel Samples is the second main quality setting but leave it for now and just try the shading rate. If you still get this issue try increasing the Pixel Samples. This it mainly for antialiasing, smoothing out the edges.

Shadow samples could also be increased but I still think this is Occlusion settings on the light and from what I can make out that light set may be using Uber Enviroment 2 if that is the case then in the content library under Light Presets > Omnifreaker > Uber Environment 2 > there are some quality presets. I don't have this light set so I am only guessing as it does actually say what lights it uses. You will need to look in the Scene Pane to find out.

edited September 2014

I think you right Szark.
    I checked the Occlusion Strenght and it was at 100%. I made a few test lowering the strenght and now with 25% it works without Problems.
    Since I never change given Settings of a light - lighting is even after all those years a book of seven seals for me - I don`t know if it was at 100% before (on my old Laptop).

But I will try the other Settings you recommand (I`m always willing to learn how to do better Renderings)

thank you

Post edited by R25S on
    edited December 1969

What you have effectliy done is to reduce how much Ambient Occlusion is generated. 75% is normally a good ball park figure. Though AJ is correct in that it will reduce the visible issue it does mean that there won't be as much AO as there should be in a semi realistic aspect.

edited December 1969

Reducing it to 75% didn`t have any effect.
    First effect was around 40% but wasn`t out of patters.

edited December 1969

I think you are missing the point. The noise is down to the Quality of the Ambient Occlusion, well lack there of. The AO Strength value donates how much AO is taking place. So if you reduce the strength then the less visible the Occlusion will be but the noise will still be there, you probably just don't see it as the AO has been reduced to almost nothing.

edited September 2014

oh and never assume a light set has high quality settings, some do and some don't. Make yourself aware of what lights you have in the scene never take things for granted. Plus it will help you learn more and better understand what setting to increase at any given time.

If this light set does use UE2 then a shading rate of 0.20 - 0.10 is a must to get cleaner AO. But it does depend on what UE2's setting re as that also has Quality settings of it's own that work hand in hand with the render settings.

I am not saying a AO strength of 25 or 40% is wrong but in my experience 75% is a good ball park figure when trying to get the semi realistic feel.

Post edited by Szark on
    edited December 1969

yes; that`s the point...I realy don`t know how all this light Setting work (I`m learning it by doing and asking when Problems occure).

What I found out is, if I set Occlusion Sample at a rate over 100 (it was at 16) all the patters are gone, too even at a maximum Occlusion Strenght.

edited December 1969

I think I learn a lot about light setting from you today; thanks again.

I used all the recommanded setting from you
    lower shading rate to 0.20, higher Pixle Sampel to 16 and Shadow Sampel to 16,
    (also set Occlusion Sample to 100) and Occlusion Strenght back to 100%

this is the result (not the same Picture Set but the same Skin and Hair - only different Color)

test22.jpg
    864 x 881 - 200K
    edited December 1969

Yes good that you want to learn and do ask questions. Don't mind me I am just blunt. :)

So we are talking about Uber Environment 2 then. We are getting somewhere. As I said previous there are some quality presets in your Library for UE2 and Occlusion Samples are set to 128 for the high quality preset. UE2 also has a Shading Rate and for most scene 8.00 should do. But in some circumstances the Render setting Shading Rate should be lowered, this is especially true if using a Sub Surface Scattering shader, say for skin etc.

Select the light, UE2, and go to where I said and double click on a preset and see the settings change.

edited December 1969

R25S said:
    I think I learn a lot about light setting from you today; thanks again.

I used all the recommanded setting from you
    lower shading rate to 0.20, higher Pixle Sampel to 16 and Shadow Sampel to 16,
    (also set Occlusion Sample to 100) and Occlusion Strenght back to 100%

this is the result (not the same Picture Set but the same Skin and Hair - only different Color)

my pleasure and that looks a lot cleaner. Nice.
    edited December 1969

Yes, it Looks a lot clearer - thanks to your help.
    (even if I don`t know why the problem appears - because I didn`t have it until yesterday - it appears out of nowhere)

And I know I have to lear a lot especially about lighting.
    When I was starting with DAZ I try to set lights all by myself... ending up desasterous; never get any result that I was looking for. And since I have only a few hours per week to spend it with DAZ I wouldn`t spend it with learning how to light a scene but with making scenes I start using pre-made light sets (never changing sttings because I don`t know what setting is made for what effect and what is the best setting for it).
    Now I have a lot of differt lighting products pre-made light sets like Gleam, skydomes/lightdomes, potostudio-lights, ambient lights, godrays and so on - wich I like - but only 50% of the time get the atmosphere and look that I realy want - so it`s time to get more into lights and how it works. But I don`t get it with Tutorials (I try it but it don`t work for me). I have to learn it by doing and asking questions.

edited December 1969

yeah it is difficult when time is limited. I started with light sets as many of us did. I still use some of the more recent ones to save time but if I am doing serious work I will make them from scratch.

edited December 1969

I have a lot of light sets, including Advanced DAZ Studio Light Bundle and Studio Light PRO but when trying to get something like the ones showing in the promo-pictures I get frustratet... most of the time.
    And this is definitiv one Thing I want to change (in the near future)