NVIDIA vMaterials 1.7.0 Presets

2»

Comments

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,982

Ran the file and the log below is what it produces, also supplied an image to show that the files are installed where they should be.. So has me stumped as to what is going on and why now when they were working before..

txt
    txt
    Mylog1.txt
    605B
    Screenshot 2021-10-11 223806.jpg
    1034 x 258 - 53K
  • OmnifluxOmniflux Posts: 362

Is D:/Daz & Poser Content/Daz Studio Shaders Sorted/Misc your mapped content directory or is it D:/Daz & Poser Content or D:/Daz & Poser Content/Daz Studio Shaders Sorted?

You can move /Shader Presets/* anywhere you want, but /data/MDL to Shader Converter/ needs to be in the root of the mapped content directory and it appears it is not.

Omniflux said:

Is D:/Daz & Poser Content/Daz Studio Shaders Sorted/Misc your mapped content directory or is it D:/Daz & Poser Content or D:/Daz & Poser Content/Daz Studio Shaders Sorted?

You can move /Shader Presets/* anywhere you want, but /data/MDL to Shader Converter/ needs to be in the root of the mapped content directory and it appears it is not.

The D:/Daz & Poser Content/Daz Studio Shaders Sorted is the main folder for all my shaders, D:/Daz & Poser Content/Daz Studio Shaders Sorted/Misc is just s sub folder for shaders I have not put in a catagory yet..

But after seeing what you said about the main root directory, that was what my problem was I had the data folder in the wrong place.. I moved it to the main root folder and everything is working now, I have no idea how I put the data folder in the wrong place.. lol

Thank you for your awesome help I am one happy camper again.. smileysmileyyes

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470

Does this work with the 2.0 materials or only the 1.7?  I was going to get this setup, but saw the 2.0, and made me wonder.

This is for vMaterials 1.7 only, new presets will need to be generated for 2.0.

Just went to the nvidia's nvmaterial site and wow over 800 materials now.. https://developer.nvidia.com/vmaterials

edited October 2021

Some of the materials in vMaterials 2.0.0 require MDL 1.7, but DS currently supports only MDL 1.6. Once DS is updated to use Iray 2021.0.0+, I will generate presets for vMaterials 2.0.0.

MDL 1.7 is actually just needed for MDL Exchange, so I may be able to generate the presets sooner.

Post edited by Omniflux on
  • brian.bole77brian.bole77 Posts: 6
    edited January 2023

Omniflux said:

This includes 2261 presets (many are identical except for colors).

Thank you to @Catherine3678ab and @Bejaymac for help with shader bricks!

These were automatically generated using a script and were generated with one of the attached shader networks depending on whether the provided material uses a cutout.

If you have suggestions for improving the shader networks, I would love to hear them!

I have added support for adding a user specified cutout (recommended by @Catherine3678ab), but adding a cutout forces the material to be "Thin Walled" and so does not work as expected with all materials. I have not found a way to determine if a material is thin walled while generating the presets (other than if it already uses a cutout), so for some materials you must enable cutouts via an additional option.
    Cutout Option

1. Install NVIDIA vMaterials 1.7.0 (1.44 GB)
    2. Install NVIDIA vMaterials 1.7.0 Presets for DS (252 MB)
    3. Restart Daz Studio if it was open when you installed vMaterials
    4. Navigate to "/Shader Presets/NVIDIA vMaterials 1.7.0/Setup"
      Setup Folder 
    5. Run the "MDL Directory Manager" script
      1. If the new MDL directories were automatically found, click "Yes" to map them
        Map MDL directories prompt
      2. If the new MDL directories were not automatically found, map them manually
        MDL Directory Manager
    6. Click Accept
    7. Run the "Setup Metadata" script

NOT WORKING , NO MATTER WHAT [...] I DO. 

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Some of the shader work done in the past has become obsolete.

• ChumlyChumly Posts: 793

uhhh... calm down a bit, this is not that kind of place.

It worked in the past, but there have been changes to iray and nvidia's drivers since this came out, it may be a while before it all catches up.

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,114

Probably just need to set the Environment Variables.

Right click the start button and select "System"

On the right side click on "Advanced System settings"

On the next menu at the bottom click "Environment Variables"

The top box is for user, so...

Click "New"

Variable name

MDL_USER_PATH

"Browse directory"

I put mine in D:/mdl

so my "Variable value" is D:/mdl

---

The bottom box is for System

so,,,

"New"

Variable Name 

MDL_SYSTEM_PATH

Variable value

D:/mdl

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,114

There is at least one product that will break after setting this up and it is because it uses a different version of core_definitions.mdl.

No, I haven't found a way for all the different versions of core_definitions.mdl to live together in peace.

I can't recall the name of it. It was a freebie living room scene that had books stacked on the floor, a toy train, a sofa, a big chair, a nice wood floor, a big window behind the chair

I would rather have these shaders than the one scene.

With that in mind, it might break other things in the future.

So far, all I know about is the one product.

• Thank you very much, these should come in handy.

• SnowSnow Posts: 95
    edited March 2023

deleted

Post edited by Snow on
    edited March 2023

deleted

Post edited by Snow on

Snow said:

I did move the vMaterials (v1.7) folder to the mdl directory where vMaterials_2 resides but if my MDL directory is set up correctly this should not be a problem no?

If setup correctly, then true.

Your mapped MDL directory should contain the two folders nvidia and vMaterials_2. The nvidia folder should contain one folder, vMaterials. Any other folder structure will not work.

edited March 2023

deleted

Post edited by Snow on
    edited March 2023

deleted

Post edited by Snow on
    edited March 2023

deleted

Post edited by Snow on
    edited February 2023

When the presets look for the MDL files, for v1.7 they look for <mapped MDL directory/nvidia/vMaterials/...>. For v2.0 they look for <mapped MDL directory/vMaterials_2/...>.

When you say you installed to .../shaders/iray/nvidia/mdl it sounds like you installed these inside the DAZ Studio folder? I would not recommend that, DAZ Studio supports mapping Content and MDL directories outside of the application folder for a reason. I don't know where the NVIDIA installers install to on OS X, but you should just be able to point to that default location from the MDL Manager.

Post edited by Omniflux on
    edited March 2023

deleted

Post edited by Snow on
    edited March 2023

deleted

Post edited by Snow on
    edited March 2023

deleted