Hexagon good on laptops with Win7, sluggish on newer Windows 10 machine

Subject says all. At the moment (late 2020) Hexagon works reasonably well on two laptops that I have with Windows 7. I tried migrating to a slightly newer machine with Windows 10 - no go! There's a time lag of 3 to 4 seconds with many of the smallest functions like "File, Edit, View... Help" etc. - enough to make things unworkable.

Other than initial trouble with the PostgreSQL files, DAZ Studio works fine. I have 10k (ten thousand) images on the drive and Explorer powers through those with no issue.

For me personally Windows 10 seems a bit weird (kind of like going from XP to Vista, I suppose) but if basic programs aren't going to work....???.sad

Comments

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,182

Turn the Game Bar off as well as the Control Flow Guard. See if that helps.

• Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 937

Oh-oh... it escapes me what the "Game Bar" is, but turning of the Control Flow Guard didn't seem to help resolve the issue, at least not on my first try.

But I fished a pristine, current (2019) Windows 10 machine out of the pile and bingo, Hexagon installed fine (and works fine) so that's a mystery!

The plot thickens though because on the first computer, D|S seems to work well.

On the second computer where Hex was good, D|S would not run at all. sad

It doesn't crash; it just stops running!

Again I used a brand-new machine for this test, lots of programs on it, lots of RAM, everything seems to work except D|S. Perhaps I will un-install and go back in time to an earlier version of D|S to see what happens.

The Game Bar is Windows10's way of wasting your resources.

I'll take a look. I also have the "Wild Tangent Games" thing on one computer that I use to render - maybe a gigabyte of useless files?

I'm thinking maybe my bad luck that the video subsystem on the computer is AMD Radeon or something. But usually D|S runs on AMD, and the trouble starts with the rendering, right?

Frankly, I'm running  Radeon machine and I don't have any of your problems.

No trouble rendering in D|S, on your Radeon-equipped machine?

Also I wanted to ask you if the "Game Bar" has to do with Xbox. I found the Xbox game bar, whatever it is, but it doesn't seem to show any controls for turning it off. Did you mean I should uninstall it?

FWIW my machine with the sluggish Hexagon installation seems to be rendering reasonably well, in Daz Studio.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 30,317
    edited February 8

you can also remove all that Windows 10 bloatware in Powershell run as administrator too

list of commands to copy and paste under video

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

Roman_K2 said:

No trouble rendering in D|S, on your Radeon-equipped machine?

Nope. Do remember that iRay can render on the CPU, it just takes longer.

Also I wanted to ask you if the "Game Bar" has to do with Xbox. I found the Xbox game bar, whatever it is, but it doesn't seem to show any controls for turning it off. Did you mean I should uninstall it?

Microsoft keps making it harder with each version of Windows 10.

https://gist.github.com/joshschmelzle/04c57d957c5bb92e85ae9180021b26dc

Thanks. I seem to have gotten it "turned off" now, but I'm actually not sure how that happened, it seemed like such a struggle the last time I was in there.

That Github article looks REALLY complicated. sad

Roman_K2 said:

That Github article looks REALLY complicated. sad

It's not. It just covers several separate ways and is full of long names. Just go step-by-step.

Still not batting .500 at this end, and another install of Hexagon under Windows 10 bit the dust - sluggishness continues so as to be unusable.

Looks like some people are getting into the game on this problem? https://www.oo-software.com/en/ooappbuster

This one is in Berlin, Germany. Have downloaded it but haven't run it yet. Crossing my fingers as the last time I sent e-mail overseas about something, I got spam for a few years! sad

• TenTen71TenTen71 Posts: 60

This is why I haven't left Windows 7. I don't want to have to fix Windows 10 issues. Of course at some point I probably won't be able to upgrade Daz but I'm still using 4.10 right now anyway.