Almost Starting Over

That's is how I feel anyway. I've been away for about 4 years or so.  I have almost all of my content installed again (finishing the rest of it as I type this).  I tried to load a scene, figure, stuff like that.  It's not bad. I remembered a lot of that.  Before I could transfer morphs and uvs from genesis to genesis 2. I understand how to use clothes even if it wasn't designed for the particular generation and so on.  I've done a little bit of modeling and understand the very, very basics of texturing.  It's been awhile.

I worked a lot with Genesis and Genesis 2 and was just beginning to get into Genesis 3.

So therefore I don't really have any experience with 8.  I understand that 4-7 were skipped?

What do I need to know? Any tips? Is Genesis 8 that much different? Are the processes pretty much the same?

I want to get into modeling. I write novels and illustrating and doing world building is more fun than the actual writing.

Money is real tight (read non-existent) so creating some of my own content would be very cool because even though I have gigs, and gigs, and gigs of content I can't always find what I am looking for.

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

They skipped 3-7 so there wouldn't be confusion over Genesis 4 vs. the pre-Genesis Victoria/Michael 4.

My understanding is that  G8 is similar to G3.  I don't use it, as I still prefer to use DS 4.8 and mostly use Genesis 1.  Pre-G8 products often go on steep sale.  I also have tools to convert everything to Genesis 1.

• Thanks.  At least knowing that there was a skip makes me feel like I'm  not nearly as far behind now.  I do have some tools, but everything is at it was 4 years ago.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

My tools are mostly 4 years old, too, as encrypted scripts won't work in earlier versions.  I still use 4.8, and 4.9 came out in 2016.

• I'm going to try and use the latest version 4.14 and move forward and see what I can get away with lol.  I do want to learn a lot of modeling and stuff like that so we'll see how it goes.

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691

Genesis  8 isn't that much different from 3, so no big worries or learning curve there. The main difference between them is the T (G3) pose vs the A (G8) pose, the introduction of dual lobed specular shaders with G8, and some improvements in geometry and bending. The uv maps are virtually the same (the greatest difference is in the eyes) so texture can be easily swaped. I use G1 and G2 ocasionally, but use G8 most of the time now, with some use of my favorite G3 characters. This is mostly because of improvements in the quallity (details and textures) of content (clothing and hair) for G8 and G3, and being to lazy to use it with older figures (this "improvement" is of course purely subjective, and depending on your needs/style you may not have the same feeling).

The plus is all of the generations of Genesis figures work well, and can easily make great images. It's really up to personal preference, and no reason not to use G1 or G2 if you have a lot of stuff for them. If you are planning on using Iray, then you might want to look into getting shader convertors for Genesis and Genesis 2. If you still plan on using 3Delight, and want to use newer content, you might want to get the convertor to go from Iray to 3DL shaders to make life a bit easier. Of course there will be a bit of a learning curve if you decide to use dFoce (dynamic) clothing or hair (or convert the older clothing to use dForce), but that can wait until you are ready for it.

Welcome back and have fun!!