Lip sync head movement

geoff6geoff6 Posts: 250
edited December 1969 in New Users

Hi all,

I have two characters with dialogue, I worked out how to do the individual lip sync but the problem I can't fix is this...

When they start to speak, their heads turned to look straight ahead but I want them to stay looking at something that is to their left. How do I prevent them from moving the head positions?

Thanks in advance,
G

Comments

• Sal UKSal UK Posts: 432
    edited August 2014

Not sure if it will work and probably an easier way, but could you put an object outside the camera view in the direction you want them to look and and select the head and select the point at in the parameters to keep them focused on the object?

Steve.

***EDIT** sorry this dont work I went and tried it for you... :( someone will probably know though, maybe move the head how you want it and maybe create a key frame at frame 1 and a key frame on the last frame the head should stay in the same place then I think.

Post edited by Sal UK on
  • geoff6geoff6 Posts: 250
    edited December 1969

Thanks Sal UK, there's a couple of issues, or quirks with the animation that I'm sure is down to inexperience. One of them is how limbs mysteriously move prior to their cue in the animation. I'm finding it difficult to know where to look to correct these things but it's probably down to technique. Hopefully, someone here knows what's going on.

G

• abstract8585abstract8585 Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

Hi,

The solution is to assign 'Limits' to your character's head to prevent it from moving.

Select the head of one of your characters, then play the keyframe while looking at the parameters on your right hand side. Identify which section is changing as the keyframe progresses. Lets say in your case the parameter "Twist" changes as the keyframe progresses. Click on the wheel icon next to the value of the "Twist" parameter and go to 'Parameter Settings', click on "use limits" then set the Mininum to the value corresponding to the value of "Twist" of the head when it is on the 1st frame and put the same value for the Max. Then click on accept.

(e.g. if when you look at parameters while you are on the 1st frame and the value at 'twist' indicates '50' then enter '50' in both 'Min' and 'Max'.

This will stop the head from changing the direction as he talks (Twist value).

edited December 1969

Thanks abstract8585,

That's a lot of help and it points me in the direction of some other issues I'm having with animation. One quick question, is the limit applicable for the full range of frames or can it be lifted in following frames? In other words on for frame 01 to 50 and off for frames 51 to 100?

Thanks for your response.

G

edited December 1969

Hi again,

I have tried setting to limits to restrict the unwanted movement but the problem is, I can't now move to head to face the direction I want the characer to be in when they speak. In other words, I can't turn the head and then speak as the rotation is 'locked' for the duration of the animation. What I really need is a way of defeating the automated positioning of the head when applying speech.

I hope I'm being clear with this, it's a sequence of events that I can't get because the speech animation defaults to looking straight ahead.

Any ideas anyone?

G

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,933
    edited December 1969

Which figure is this and which DMC file are you using for the lipsync?
    Is possibly fixable in notepad
    You can edit out the head transforms

• abstract8585abstract8585 Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

Hi geoff,

It is possible to make your character turn his head then speak. For this, I going to use your example of frame 0 - 50 the 51 - 100. Lets say at frame 0 he is looking straight in front and he starts to speak at frame 50, then you can create a keyframe in between, for example 20 and twist his head so that he turns his head before starting to talk. In this case you should use limits on the frame 20 and not 0. (that is from 0 to 19 there's no limits' - for his to be able to turn his head)
    Lets imagine he finishes talking and turns his head back in front of him, then you go to the frame where he stops talking to create a keyframe, lets say 50 there you uncheck 'use limits' and lets says on frame 80 you twist his head back to the original position, that is looking straight in front of him.

Hope I was clear

edited December 1969

Hi and thank you, I shall try that, it does make sense but I wasn't aware that the limit settings are included in the keyframe so thanks again.

I'm using the Genesis2 DMC,

Thanks for the tip about reading it in notepad.

G