Daz Studio 4.14 Pro, General Release!

Comments

• NathNath Posts: 2,713
    RayDAnt said:
    Nath said:

DAZ seems very determined that we install Central - if, as we have been told, it's targeted at newbies who are overwhelmed by DIM or by -heaven forbid- installing from a zip file, why shove it in everybody's face like this to the exclusion of any other download or install method?

It's designed to be the most new/novice PC user friendly. Therefore it is the one pushed most heavily towards new/novice PC users.

Except that it's pushed at everybody, to the almost exclusion of anything else. Anyone who knows how to find the Product Library and download from there doesn't need DAZ Central shoved in their face.

If there is now a way for a new, but computer-savvy user to download Studio without using Central (not every 'new' user needs crutches) it is so well hidden that I haven't been able to spot it. Right now, I'd hesitate to recommend Studio to anyone, because of the exclusionary focus on DAZ Central for installation and content management.

• TannimTannim Posts: 43
    edited November 2020

*there is no delete Ignore this*

Post edited by Tannim on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155
    edited November 2020
    Nath said:
    RayDAnt said:
    Nath said:

DAZ seems very determined that we install Central - if, as we have been told, it's targeted at newbies who are overwhelmed by DIM or by -heaven forbid- installing from a zip file, why shove it in everybody's face like this to the exclusion of any other download or install method?

It's designed to be the most new/novice PC user friendly. Therefore it is the one pushed most heavily towards new/novice PC users.

Except that it's pushed at everybody, to the almost exclusion of anything else. Anyone who knows how to find the Product Library and download from there doesn't need DAZ Central shoved in their face.

If there is now a way for a new, but computer-savvy user to download Studio without using Central (not every 'new' user needs crutches) it is so well hidden that I haven't been able to spot it. Right now, I'd hesitate to recommend Studio to anyone, because of the exclusionary focus on DAZ Central for installation and content management.

You can find download links for the general release in your product library. The links are hidden in the Description section. Expand the little triangle and scroll scroll scroll.
    You can also install it with DIM, of course. That is the highly recommended way. Be sure Daz Studio is not running when you update it.

Screenshot 2020-11-17 024111.png
    1200 x 653 - 162K
    Post edited by barbult on
  • NathNath Posts: 2,713
    barbult said:
    Nath said:
    RayDAnt said:
    Nath said:

You can find download links for the general release in your product library. The links are hidden in the Description section. Expand the little triangle and scroll scroll scroll.
    You can also install it with DIM, of course. That is the highly recommended way. Be sure Daz Studio is not running when you update it.

*I* know that, but how is a new user going to find out? But I suppose anyone who buys something from elsewhere and discovers that Central doesn't work for that will either have to find out or give up.

I only use DIM to install Beta versions, and for downloading updates (Studio and products). Manual install all the way.

• Well i cant install from 4.12 to 4.14 pro,when download manager show me that i have the the updta e to 4,14 but when i click it,it is istalling it too fast and whn i go to open the application from c/programm files etc,it opes the 4.12 again what im doing wrong??

• PerttiA said:
    kaislisp said:
    kaislisp said:
    PerttiA said:

Having updated my new iMac Pro to Big Sur on Thursday, like many others I am now no longer able to run Daz Studio. Some who depend on Daz Studio for their livlihoods have mentioned buying a Windows PC as a solution to this problem. But I'm wondering whether using Bootcamp to install a Windows partition on our Macs might be a better solution. However, I'd like to hear the opinions of more knowlegeable users before spending the money on Windows 10. 

Before any updates, you should read what's changed;

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/449316/daz-studio-4-14-pro-general-release/p1

Known Issues:

• macOS
      • Not compatible with Big Sur

This wasn't added until a day or so after release and by then it seems like a lot of us had already updated to Big Sur. 

I mean, if I can get daily deals in my email, perhaps I could have got an update about Big Sur not being supported in a more prominent way. Regardless, here we are and my open question is will it ever work on Big Sur? 

My same thoughts. I've even gone so far as to DM them on instagram when this first started. I tweeted at them. Sent 3 helpdesk tickets. I've posted how many times in this forum. Not a single word. And I'm sure they have many important things to do, but they're alienating users right now. I know that we're probably in the far, far minority of users that are on mac. But i know that if I was a casual user like i literally was before, I wouldn't think to go onto the forums to see whats going on. I only had that thought because I've been here before. I keep getting back messages that they have it on the known issues. Yes. But they added that LATER. And I know for myself that my computer didn't automatically update. The DS update messed up my program on catalina, so after uninstalling and installing over and over, I thought the way to fix it might be update my entire computer, because I know Im very slow in updates and maybe having the latest software would aid THIS latest software. Only to find out hours AFTER I updated, after already searching this forum for anything about mac, that they let us know at midnight EST - oh nvm. not compatible with big sur. If I knew that I wouldn't have updated my computer lol. 

It's listed under 'Known Issues' though and as I said before, that wasn't a 'known issue' directly after the launch. So perhaps theyre working on it? Or maybe not. Who knows.

100%, I was just getting into this again and spending money on assets for various projects. I paid for the PC subscription and was stoked to be using DAZ for some new client work. Like you, I'm not scanning the boards for this info and I certainly don't recall any official notice about it until things just didn't' work. After some research and an open ticket, I finally found out what happened. Honestly, I just need to know if there are plans for it to ever work on Big Sur, if so, a rough ETA would be great. But at the very least, communicate with me. 

The problems related to Big Sur support have been explained in several threads, I wouldn't hold my breath for any quick (this year) solutions.

Daz was aware of the problem and just waited for it to go away by itself? I checked and it was known for years that the library libstdc++.6.dylib would be deprecated. I'm lucky because I have an old MacPro that I can use — it will take a lot longer to render but I can do some renders.

• PerttiA said:
    kaislisp said:
    kaislisp said:
    PerttiA said:

Having updated my new iMac Pro to Big Sur on Thursday, like many others I am now no longer able to run Daz Studio. Some who depend on Daz Studio for their livlihoods have mentioned buying a Windows PC as a solution to this problem. But I'm wondering whether using Bootcamp to install a Windows partition on our Macs might be a better solution. However, I'd like to hear the opinions of more knowlegeable users before spending the money on Windows 10. 

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/449316/daz-studio-4-14-pro-general-release/p1

Known Issues:

• macOS

This wasn't added until a day or so after release and by then it seems like a lot of us had already updated to Big Sur. 

I mean, if I can get daily deals in my email, perhaps I could have got an update about Big Sur not being supported in a more prominent way. Regardless, here we are and my open question is will it ever work on Big Sur? 

My same thoughts. I've even gone so far as to DM them on instagram when this first started. I tweeted at them. Sent 3 helpdesk tickets. I've posted how many times in this forum. Not a single word. And I'm sure they have many important things to do, but they're alienating users right now. I know that we're probably in the far, far minority of users that are on mac. But i know that if I was a casual user like i literally was before, I wouldn't think to go onto the forums to see whats going on. I only had that thought because I've been here before. I keep getting back messages that they have it on the known issues. Yes. But they added that LATER. And I know for myself that my computer didn't automatically update. The DS update messed up my program on catalina, so after uninstalling and installing over and over, I thought the way to fix it might be update my entire computer, because I know Im very slow in updates and maybe having the latest software would aid THIS latest software. Only to find out hours AFTER I updated, after already searching this forum for anything about mac, that they let us know at midnight EST - oh nvm. not compatible with big sur. If I knew that I wouldn't have updated my computer lol. 

It's listed under 'Known Issues' though and as I said before, that wasn't a 'known issue' directly after the launch. So perhaps theyre working on it? Or maybe not. Who knows.

100%, I was just getting into this again and spending money on assets for various projects. I paid for the PC subscription and was stoked to be using DAZ for some new client work. Like you, I'm not scanning the boards for this info and I certainly don't recall any official notice about it until things just didn't' work. After some research and an open ticket, I finally found out what happened. Honestly, I just need to know if there are plans for it to ever work on Big Sur, if so, a rough ETA would be great. But at the very least, communicate with me. 

The problems related to Big Sur support have been explained in several threads, I wouldn't hold my breath for any quick (this year) solutions.

Daz was aware of the problem and just waited for it to go away by itself? I checked and it was known for years that the library libstdc++.6.dylib would be deprecated. I'm lucky because I have an old MacPro that I can use — it will take a lot longer to render but I can do some renders.

Daz was, I believe, aware of the issue but has to weigh up the consequences - not working for mac users on Big Sur vs. breaking all plug-ins on both OSes, soem of which will not be repaired as the developer is no longer active (or in at least one case, has died).

• hello guys I am writing to you from Italy .... I have the same problem bigsur-daz .. I was wondering if it was possible, however, to reinstall Catalina, without waiting for news from the daz
  • hello guys I am writing to you from Italy .... I have the same problem bigsur-daz .. I was wondering if it was possible, however, to reinstall Catalina, without waiting for news from the daz

If there is a way to go back to Catalina, your best bet would be to ask Apple Support.

If there is a way to go back to Catalina, your best bet would be to ask Apple Support.

I think there is a possibility to downgrade to the previous operating system .... but I don't know if it's worth it. or maybe it is better to wait for the Daz to solve the problem? ...... as long as they fix it
  • PerttiA said:
    kaislisp said:
    kaislisp said:
    PerttiA said:

Known Issues:

• macOS

Daz was, I believe, aware of the issue but has to weigh up the consequences - not working for mac users on Big Sur vs. breaking all plug-ins on both OSes, soem of which will not be repaired as the developer is no longer active (or in at least one case, has died).

In four years they couldn't come up with a solution? Come on, it's not something Apple decided four days ago. And if Mac users are second rate users, please do inform us. Right now I have suspended all my purchases from Daz.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

In four years they couldn't come up with a solution? Come on, it's not something Apple decided four days ago. And if Mac users are second rate users, please do inform us. Right now I have suspended all my purchases from Daz.

They may have a solution, but it requires breaking the API, which will break ALL plugins for ALL users, some of which will never be updated because the developer is no longer with us.  That's a big step -- Qt5 is something they've been working on for years, but again it will break the API.  Will they release DS5 with Big Sur support and Qt5?  I think they probably will, although I have no inside knowledge.  When?  That's the big question, and since it affects everyone, inside Daz3D and out, Daz3D may not have decided yet.

• PerttiA said:
    kaislisp said:
    kaislisp said:
    PerttiA said:

Known Issues:

• macOS

Im again in the same exact boat. I'm lucky that I didn't update my macpro and I can at least get my work done before deadlines. It still takes significantly longer and I'm constantly checking my memory to make sure I'm not using up too much and I won't run out of room. Especially since the last render I have to complete is of a large scene. Its honestly ridiculous. 

• kaislispkaislisp Posts: 24
    edited November 2020
    hello guys I am writing to you from Italy .... I have the same problem bigsur-daz .. I was wondering if it was possible, however, to reinstall Catalina, without waiting for news from the daz

If you have a Timemachine backup, then you can convert back to Catalina. Unfortunately, I never put stock into timemachine and royally screwed myself over with that one. Save from doing it yourself by a few options on the internet (that I don't trust to do myself), you'll have to take it into the apple store and have them downgrade. I will be doing that next Sunday/Monday. I have no clue how much it'll cost, but as far as I know, that's the only way. They are able to do it though. I have a friend that works in apple support as a genius and it is possible. They'll probably have your computer for a day or so and then you can pick it up. You just have to make sure you back up the entire thing because I'm pretty sure it'll wipe your computer. 

Post edited by kaislisp on
  • Daz was, I believe, aware of the issue but has to weigh up the consequences - not working for mac users on Big Sur vs. breaking all plug-ins on both OSes, soem of which will not be repaired as the developer is no longer active (or in at least one case, has died).

They may have a solution, but it requires breaking the API, which will break ALL plugins for ALL users, some of which will never be updated because the developer is no longer with us.  That's a big step -- Qt5 is something they've been working on for years, but again it will break the API.  Will they release DS5 with Big Sur support and Qt5?  I think they probably will, although I have no inside knowledge.  When?  That's the big question, and since it affects everyone, inside Daz3D and out, Daz3D may not have decided yet.

That makes sense. My issue with all of this though is that they didn't let us Big Sur users know until a little more than a day AFTER release. And it wasn't on the announcement page. So many of us users updated and now literally cannot run the program any longer without spending money to go and fix it. I would've appreciated being TOLD that this was an issue BEFORE release. Not to mention somewhere on the main page. The only place I've found Big Sur's incompatibility is on the forum. And if you're just a casual user or a beginner, I seriously doubt that you'll know to check the forums. I know that I wasn't. So now I'm betting you have some daz users who the program no longer works for, and they're just floundering. Now the only option is to drop cash to downgrade our system or to convert over to PC. I've spent THOUSANDS building up my library for this program. It's become irreplaceable for my art (I use renders as the bases for all my paintings because I have aphantasia and can't create images in my head on my own). It's just all really unfortunate and I wish we were made aware on release day. 

Macworld has an article on how to downgrade from Big Sur.

• grafkdesignergrafkdesigner Posts: 60
    edited November 2020

I have found that when I want to load 4.14 after having played a game or used a high-end video program the computer has to be restarted for it to launch. If I don't restart I'm clicking the icon with nothing happening. In that instance I have a few choices: either leave 4.14 open and running when I want to use other software; constantly restart the computer when I want to use 4.14; or revert to 4.12 (if I can by deleting the 4.14 upgrade?), which I don't really want to do. Other than that I really haven't had much problem with it. 

Post edited by grafkdesigner on
  • I have found that when I play a game I have to restart the computer in order for upgrade 4.14 to launch. Otherwise I'm sitting here clicking the mouse button and not getting a response. Other than that I really haven't had much problem with it. But just to be sure, I can revert back to 4.12, right?

Is that after using DS earlier? Check in Task Manager if DS is running as a background process, and terminate it if it is.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,030
    kaislisp said:

That makes sense. My issue with all of this though is that they didn't let us Big Sur users know until a little more than a day AFTER release. And it wasn't on the announcement page. So many of us users updated and now literally cannot run the program any longer without spending money to go and fix it. I would've appreciated being TOLD that this was an issue BEFORE release. Not to mention somewhere on the main page. The only place I've found Big Sur's incompatibility is on the forum. And if you're just a casual user or a beginner, I seriously doubt that you'll know to check the forums. I know that I wasn't. So now I'm betting you have some daz users who the program no longer works for, and they're just floundering. Now the only option is to drop cash to downgrade our system or to convert over to PC. I've spent THOUSANDS building up my library for this program. It's become irreplaceable for my art (I use renders as the bases for all my paintings because I have aphantasia and can't create images in my head on my own). It's just all really unfortunate and I wish we were made aware on release day. 

Yes, communication could definitely have been handled better.

To be fair, they just had a few very busy weeks with all the problems from the store migration, so they might simply have forgotten that Big Sur was going to be released now.

• kaislispkaislisp Posts: 24
    edited November 2020
    Leana said:
    kaislisp said:

Yes, communication could definitely have been handled better.

To be fair, they just had a few very busy weeks with all the problems from the store migration, so they might simply have forgotten that Big Sur was going to be released now.

True. But also don't get me started on how horrible the website is running right now. And how the search function is absolutely HORRIFIC. And I REALLY hope this isn't how they're keeping the website and they're still doing updates. Because I'm shocked at how bad it is. No more subcategories in search. Clothing textures no longer connected to product pages? Broken links? Honestly it feels like they downgraded the website. Rather than add they took away and now I'm scrolling for hours to find what I want in the store. 

Post edited by kaislisp on
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,030
    kaislisp said:

And I REALLY hope this isn't how they're keeping the website and they're still doing updates.

I'm rather certain they don't intend to leave it like this. The developpers who posted in the store issues threads have all those issues listed, and they're still working on getting things better. (I have no insider knowledge, just based on all the fixes they have and are still releasing, like the recent update on product pages which fixed several issues despite all the hate I've seen for the new design).

• jbowlerjbowler Posts: 742
    edited November 2020

I have found that when I want to load 4.14 after having played a game or used a high-end video program the computer has to be restarted for it to launch. If I don't restart I'm clicking the icon with nothing happening. In that instance I have a few choices: either leave 4.14 open and running when I want to use other software; constantly restart the computer when I want to use 4.14; or revert to 4.12 (if I can by deleting the 4.14 upgrade?), which I don't really want to do. Other than that I really haven't had much problem with it. 

Just to be sure what's happening do this (best after a restart so you are sure 4.14 has not already been run):

1) Launch 4.14, wait until the DazConnect poo has finished.  (It displays "updating metadata" on the bottom of the screen for a while every time it is launched, at least if you own one of the several products which still seem not to be correct in the store.)
    2) Close DAZStudio - don't do anything, just close it.
    3) Open the Windows Task Manager (I'm assuming this is Windows :-), sort it by name and look for "Daz Studio Application" in both the Apps list and the Background processes list.

If you find anything in either list DAZStudio won't start until it is gone.  If the entry is in "Background processes" and it is at 0% CPU you have the layout.dsx issue.  I've managed to produce the same situation other ways but I was stressing my system by running 4 DAZStudio apps in parallel, the 0% CPU on immediate exit test seems to reliably detect the layout.dsx issue; no one has reported having (exactly) this issue after deleting layout.dsx.

More likely you will find DAZ exits just fine and doesn't leave a process lying around.  If you have a complex scene auto-preloaded on start you might have to wait a few minutes for DAZStudio to exit but it will always show CPU utilitization (typically 1 CPU) while doing this.  This is, unfortunately, expected.

So then, having eliminated those two possibilities, you have a new bug.  If you look at the Task Manager window you will see it has a "GPU Engine" column.  It's conceivable that the software you use manages to lock DAZStudio out of the the GPU engine.  The DAZStudio log file displays the startup; I suggest including that, or at least the last bit, in the ticket you raise with DAZ.  Normally the last line is "Shader Program successfully linked.", but at present DAZStudio is continuously polling the Daz web site with apparently broken requests (according to the log file) so the log file gets a bit confusing.

Post edited by jbowler on

If you do have the layout.dsx issue, the specific setting that was causing DS to never exit in my case was the IPR toolbar in the Aux Viewport when the Aux Viewport pane was closed.  To fix it, open the Aux Viewport pane and set the IPR Toolbar to off.  According to the Change Log this has been fixed in a future release.

• Wow guys, this new version is really great, I personally have found a drastic decrease in render times :D

• Is there a way to go back to the previous mouse control scheme? I updated my install and now I can't use right click to rotate around a selected item like I've been able to previously.. The controls are all messed up and I'm not really interested in relearning a control scheme all over again when the previous one worked for me and I wasn't asked if I wanted it changed..  The update to this was completely uneccessary and it could have easily been something that was asked about upon loading the installer.. Like "Do you want us to screw up how you use daz or is the old control scheme fine for you?"

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Is there a way to go back to the previous mouse control scheme? I updated my install and now I can't use right click to rotate around a selected item like I've been able to previously.. The controls are all messed up and I'm not really interested in relearning a control scheme all over again when the previous one worked for me and I wasn't asked if I wanted it changed..  The update to this was completely uneccessary and it could have easily been something that was asked about upon loading the installer.. Like "Do you want us to screw up how you use daz or is the old control scheme fine for you?"

try reloadign the Layout (which will reset cuastom actions), or if they were unsaved changes could use Window>Workspace>Customise to redo them and save the layout for future recovery if need be.
    A corrupted layout, or custom action list, is often down to forced exit (closing the application through task manager)

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

They need to release a DAZ 4 Legecy then, that stays installed in parallel & seperate from DAZ 5 & DAZ 5 public beta right before they are ready to go to DAZ  & QT 5. QT 4 and legacy OSes will go away. New OSes eventually won't support legacy apps. Apple is particularly bad to leave users out in the cold and do it fast.

They need to release a DAZ 4 Legecy then, that stays installed in parallel & seperate from DAZ 5 & DAZ 5 public beta right before they are ready to go to DAZ  & QT 5. QT 4 and legacy OSes will go away. New OSes eventually won't support legacy apps. Apple is particularly bad to leave users out in the cold and do it fast.

Since it's in your Product Library, the final DS4 will still be available, just as DS3 was IF you had Advanced.  Since DS4 has to be in your Product Library it shouldn't be an issue.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

Since it's in your Product Library, the final DS4 will still be available, just as DS3 was IF you had Advanced.  Since DS4 has to be in your Product Library it shouldn't be an issue.

OK, I don't have DS3 but it's nice to know I can keep DS4 when DS5 comes out.

• Daz was, I believe, aware of the issue but has to weigh up the consequences - not working for mac users on Big Sur vs. breaking all plug-ins on both OSes, soem of which will not be repaired as the developer is no longer active (or in at least one case, has died).

Apple may be accused of a many things but the libstdc++.6.dylib was deprecated in XCode 10 which was presented on June, 4 (a beta was available on that day) and launched on September 17, 2018 (two yers ago). So, the ball is in Daz's court.