Zhao makes my computer not responding

For some reason the new figure Zhao makes my computers rendering stall.  Even with no environment what so ever I cannot render her, 

Anyone experiencing this ?   

Comments

• Just did a quick test with her and no problems.

DS: 4.12.1.117, server 2012r2, c2q(q8300), cpu render test at 500x500.

No hair, clothing, or other assets, base g8f and this character only, default render settings.

took a little over a minute to get first itteration, about typical for this setup.

Might be something particular to your system/setup.

What version of DS are you using?

Are you on default render settings?

Are there any other assets in the scene, such as hair or clothing?

• stephenschoonstephenschoon Posts: 352
    edited November 2020

Yeah I'm seeing the same issue, it's something to do with Carboncrows characters because I've had it happen before with the other two. Don't remember what I did to fix it though...

Daz QA fails again.

EDIT...

You need to remove HD details then it will render, should really report it to Daz and Carboncrow...

Daz Studio 4.12.1.118 Pro 64
    2x Asus GTX1080Ti Studio driver 456.38
    Asus WS299 Pro Core i7 (8cores/16 threads) 32GB RAM
    Samsung NVMe x4 1TB SSD
    Windows 10 Pro 64

Post edited by stephenschoon on
  • Yeah I'm seeing the same issue, it's something to do with Carboncrows characters because I've had it happen before with the other two. Don't remember what I did to fix it though...

Daz QA fails again.

EDIT...

You need to remove HD details then it will render, should really report it to Daz and Carboncrow...

Daz Studio 4.12.1.118 Pro 64
    2x Asus GTX1080Ti Studio driver 456.38
    Asus WS299 Pro Core i7 (8cores/16 threads) 32GB RAM
    Samsung NVMe x4 1TB SSD
    Windows 10 Pro 64

IIRc, the hagar character had a brow issue that got updated later, about a month or so at least based on the 2 zips i have in storage, not sure about berenice though.

regarding the current issue.

Retested with HD morphs enabled, as well as the eyebrow, and neither 117 or 118 had an issue for me, see attached.

I also tested with my usual production g8f setup, lots more character's and morphs, and had no issues with either version of DS.

zhao 117 hd and brow.png
    500 x 500 - 144K
    zhao bikini 118 hd and brow.png
    500 x 500 - 145K
  • vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,822
    edited November 2020

I don't have Zhao, but if she's set up like Bereneice (also a CarbonCrow character), part of the issue is her SubD levels. Her default Subdivision level (on the Parameters tab) is set at level 3, with render SubD at level 4; most characters default load is a level lower on both of those, and sometimes set to Render SubD 2 instead of 3. That can lead to a long delay on even slightly less powerful computers where it looks like nothing is happening for a very long time, but it's all going on in the background. You can find both of these by just searching for "subd" on the Parameters tab.

Bereneice's Surfaces SubD Displacement Level (on the Surfaces tab) is also set to level 5, which is also very very high, and will lead to the same extremely long delay before rendering starts (maybe an hour or so). I wouldn't be surprised if Zhao's Surfaces SubD is also set to 5.

Post edited by vwrangler on
  • stephenschoonstephenschoon Posts: 352
    edited November 2020

Following on from yesterday, I loaded up the other Carboncrow characters with no other content to note the SubD levels and run a render test...

Hagar 
    Resolution High
    SubD level 2
    Render SubD level 3

Berenice 
    Resolution High
    Sub D level 3
    Render SubD level 4

Zhao
    Resolution High
    Sub D level 3
    Render SubD level 4

Hagar, Berenice and Zhao all rendered fine, I was unable to replicate the issue from yesterday. 

Adding and removing HD details doesn't change the SubD levels.

Steve.

Post edited by stephenschoon on
  • Replicated the problem, a headshot of Berenice killed it...

• caberotcaberot Posts: 15

I was having this same issue with Zhao. Lowering the subdivision levels helped. I was able to render again.

Zhao
    Resolution High
    Sub D level 1
    Render SubD level 2

• jd641jd641 Posts: 429

I've had Zhao for a while but haven't really gotten to test out the product. I'm also having iray crash and not render at all when I try to use her skin. Lowering the render Subd to 3 fixes the issue but I don't get it... I can set a g8f 8.1 with HD details to a render subd of 5 and it's just fine but as soon as I apply the Zhao skin to any figure and have it at a Subd of 4, it crashes 100% of the time.

• zombietaggerungzombietaggerung Posts: 3,655

Are the Normal Maps .tiff files? DS 4.20 doesn't like .tiff files, and they will crash iray. You'll need to convert them to .png then resave the character's material preset with the new .png Normal maps.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,546

If it's this one; https://www.daz3d.com/zhao-hd-for-genesis-8-female

I'm not at all surpriced that people are having problems...
    SubD at 4 by default and "34 Texture, Bump, Roughness, Normal and Displacement Maps (2048 x 2048 to 8192 x 8192)"

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/74273/file_list
    There are EXR and TIF files for textures and maps...