November 2020 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Materials and next level kitbashing

Comments

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795
    _ AL1vE _ said:

second and final entry for this month contest

inspired by the TV Series The Expanse

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Title: the interface

Software: DAZ Studio 4.12.1

Renderengine: Nvidia Iray

Challenge: November 2020 - Daz 3D New User Challenge

Technique: compositing

Post Work: collor grading 

Interesting work! I think you want this to be in a gritty style, that's why you used to "off "  colours. Still I think this could gain from a bit more contrast, the backgroundwalls darker, the sceen visuals brighter, maybe try bloom as well with that, and in the end seeing the reflection of the screen in his eyes would be very neat

Hi all. This started of as a background for another scene and i tosed in a couple of figers. (I hate this one).

Hard to give advice when you say you hate it already, how about giving this a major overhaul and try to make the setting look like it's inside an old VR game (think of tron)

overall I would thing to get the camera closer to the figures, give us a bit more features of the black hooded figure, mabe engage the two fighters more?

just suggestions, what you make of them, is yours to decide

JoJoS said:

Not sure if this image counts for the intermediate challenge or not, so here it is either way ha. I wanted blood on the sword, so I used photoshop to so, I used the sword/shield from one bundle with a different outfit and messed with the hair a bit. Any comments/constructive critism welcome :-)

I almost missed this one, this looks very dramatic already, and it looks you know your way around photoshop very well. Now since this a about doing things in DAZ Studio /poser/ ... I suggest you try adding that blood to the sword in the render. You can try using a geoshell with the blood splatter map on the sword or you try using LIE (Layered Image Editor) to add it.

maybe try to make her /her armor look wet by changing the glossy/dual lobe settings of the surface?

• Linwelly said:
    _ AL1vE _ said:

second and final entry for this month contest

inspired by the TV Series The Expanse

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Technique: compositing

Interesting work! I think you want this to be in a gritty style, that's why you used to "off "  colours. Still I think this could gain from a bit more contrast, the backgroundwalls darker, the sceen visuals brighter, maybe try bloom as well with that, and in the end seeing the reflection of the screen in his eyes would be very neat

you are right

thanks

I will give it another attempt

• Luftsturmregiment40Luftsturmregiment40 Posts: 328
    edited November 2020
    Linwelly said:
    JoJoS said:

Not sure if this image counts for the intermediate challenge or not, so here it is either way ha. I wanted blood on the sword, so I used photoshop to so, I used the sword/shield from one bundle with a different outfit and messed with the hair a bit. Any comments/constructive critism welcome :-)

I almost missed this one, this looks very dramatic already, and it looks you know your way around photoshop very well. Now since this a about doing things in DAZ Studio /poser/ ... I suggest you try adding that blood to the sword in the render. You can try using a geoshell with the blood splatter map on the sword or you try using LIE (Layered Image Editor) to add it.

maybe try to make her /her armor look wet by changing the glossy/dual lobe settings of the surface?

I wanted to...

somehow I screwed up and I don't know how to fix this

nothing is rendering anymore as you see in the screenshot

screwed.PNG
    1920 x 1050 - 554K
    duf
    duf
    figure02.duf
    4M
    Post edited by Luftsturmregiment40 on
  • katywhitekatywhite Posts: 414
    edited November 2020

I will return to my first entry to experiment with it with your suggestions, but in the meantime here's my second...

Title: Facial

Software: Daz 3D

Challenge: Beginners

Feedback much appreciated! This one, I was testing using Geometry editing to create new surface sections to apply different funky shaders. Changed everything but her hair and eyes.

Surface Test.png
    2000 x 1600 - 4M
    Post edited by katywhite on
  • As requested, here are the original and the post-worked versions of "The Horror and the Pool". (I thought I should give it a title - this seemed pretty obvious! wink )

original.jpg
    873 x 1134 - 178K
    grungy version.jpg
    923 x 1134 - 278K
    edited December 2020

I wanted to...

I opened your DUF file (some textures missing obviously) but other than that I had no trouble rendering. I suppose you trid closing without saving and opening again.

Try setting it on texture shaded in the viewport for a bit and look what you get there ... which version of DS are you using?

Post edited by Linwelly on
  • Linwelly said:
    _ AL1vE _ said:
    Linwelly said:
    JoJoS said:

I wanted to...

I opened your DUF file (some textures missing obviously) but other than that I had no trouble rendering. I suppose you trid closing without saving and opening again.

Try setting it on texture shaded in the viewport for a bit and look what you get there ... which version of DS are you using?

did you also render or only the viewport?

I'm asking, because when I render there is absolutely nothing but empty space...

it looks like data-loss to me

maybe if I have enough time I redo the scene from scratch

we'll see

_ AL1vE _ said:
    Linwelly said:
    _ AL1vE _ said:
    Linwelly said:
    JoJoS said:

I wanted to...

did you also render or only the viewport?

I'm asking, because when I render there is absolutely nothing but empty space...

it looks like data-loss to me

maybe if I have enough time I redo the scene from scratch

we'll see

I made a spot render, I can try to do full one

• no noseno nose Posts: 300

Well after an extremely long while I finally got around to put in some more work

Linwelly said:
    no nose said:

Wasn't to big on how the helmet's material was looking so I messed with it a tiny bit, also added a (temporary, hopefully I'll find a bigger one) cape to use.

Also does anyone know how to fix the weird shading issue that seems to be occuring around the jacket?

over all I think this develops nicely and I like that you experiment with different materials here.

I'm not sure what exactly you see with the jacket shader since the image is rather small to notice such details but I guess you mean the lighter and darker areas in the lilac part. I can't say for sure what is happening, maybe there are some bends in the mesh or there are some remainders from the original texture you didn't catch. maybe you can make a screenshot with the viewport setting switched to wire texture shaded showing the detail

compositionwise I woudl suggest twisting the backgeound a bit so that we see the red carped on the way up as a more separate thing. In the moment it's a bit wierd red striped thing standing out from her stomach.

considering the capes, there are several superhero capes around, with a new texture they could serve you or you just drop a plane on her using d-force.

Where you want to go with this, hard to say, maybe think about what caught her attention?

Well the jacket issue is mainly at the middle of the jacket, there's a small line of polygons that are a bit darker then the rest of it.

Not sure if this is better but hopefully the red carpet isn't just a part of the belly anymore

I did find a few capes but since the big sale is long over, I'm probs gonna consider them later. I ended up just making my own cape in blender, but due to a few issues with both programs it's technically a frozen prop.

Not to sure how much more I can do with this tbh, the only thing that I can think of is changing the shoulder pad's texture to be more new like the rest of the outfit. No clue how to really show what caught her attention either.

6.jpg
    500 x 667 - 219K
    edited November 2020

rerender after dataloss

I followed the advise from Linwelly to make the background darker

Technique: compositing

free model of the interface - free to keep

interface_003.JPEG
    2000 x 844 - 1M
    vector.PNG
    1920 x 1003 - 590K
    vector2.PNG
    1615 x 926 - 247K
    zip
    zip
    interface.zip
    7M
  • Linwelly said:
    Linwelly said:

Version F here.

Moved the darkest character closer to the lights, changed the light settings, did a little texture work on the jacket of one of the other characters, and tried adding some bloom.

This develops very nicely, just a word about Bloom settings. I would advise to use a much higher value on the bloom filer threshold, standart is 2000. In a scene like this I would use a threashold of 9000. with the low values the effect is the grey out the image. As well try a bit higher bloom filter radius and on the other hand reduce the Bloom filter brightness scale (standart is 1, I would try something about 0.1 to 0.2)

have fun experimenting with that

Here's version G trying to make use of your suggestions.

This is looking very good, now I never though I would write these words to you, but here they are: maybe reduce the light intensity a bit again? especially thosthe on the walkway, they take away effect from the glowy stuff

@Linwelly how's this for version H?

nov2020h.png
    1280 x 720 - 2M
  • Alias52Alias52 Posts: 284
    edited November 2020
    Alias52 said:

Linwelly said:

I think I didn't comment on this one yet. About the textures ther isn't much to add from my side, looking forward to see what else you might want to alter. What I would suggest is to change the light situation. I have the impression that you are using mainly the camera head lamp to lighten up your scene and takes away a lot of dramatic you could have with this.I would suggest to experiment with twe or three emissive planes one tinted in light blue, the other in a red tone (this time acutally tinted the light temperature can be rather hight like about 5000k). place them in different positions left and right ouside the camera view lighting up the scene, turn off the camera headlamp for this. the third plane could be filling in in white where you need it. try differemt püositions to see what effect it has on the scene. you can try other colours as well of course, there are just some suggestions.

Take Cover

Thanks for the suggestions. It has been a crazy, busy month but finally got around to making a few tweaks. Played with the geometry editor again with the fence and the tear in the touser leg. Not completely happy with it, but it's a learning curve. 

With the lighting, I never use the headlamp but the environment was a bright moon and there was a mesh light giving some direct light - both of which I have toned down considerably. I also gave the emissive planes a try and they do give it a little extra something.

Cyber Rain.jpg
    1600 x 1600 - 2M
    Post edited by Alias52 on
    edited November 2020
    Alias52 said:
    Alias52 said:

Linwelly said:

I think I didn't comment on this one yet. About the textures ther isn't much to add from my side, looking forward to see what else you might want to alter. What I would suggest is to change the light situation. I have the impression that you are using mainly the camera head lamp to lighten up your scene and takes away a lot of dramatic you could have with this.I would suggest to experiment with twe or three emissive planes one tinted in light blue, the other in a red tone (this time acutally tinted the light temperature can be rather hight like about 5000k). place them in different positions left and right ouside the camera view lighting up the scene, turn off the camera headlamp for this. the third plane could be filling in in white where you need it. try differemt püositions to see what effect it has on the scene. you can try other colours as well of course, there are just some suggestions.

Take Cover

Thanks for the suggestions. It has been a crazy, busy month but finally got around to making a few tweaks. Played with the geometry editor again with the fence and the tear in the touser leg. Not completely happy with it, but it's a learning curve. 

With the lighting, I never use the headlamp but the environment was a bright moon and there was a mesh light giving some direct light - both of which I have toned down considerably. I also gave the emissive planes a try and they do give it a little extra something.

good concept

I think you could try - nonetheless - going the extra mile adding water puddles on the ground to add reflectivity (rain is wet, show it...)

iray has some layer options and you could try there first otherwise do it the hard way adding flat 3d water puddles

water puddles Cinema 4D.PNG
    428 x 245 - 164K

good concept

I think you could try - nonetheless - going the extra mile adding water puddles on the ground to add reflectivity (rain is wet, show it...)

iray has some layer options and you could try there first otherwise do it the hard way adding flat 3d water puddles

Thanks for that. Yes, you are right, the puddles I actually have been made less than easily visible with the change of lighting. The light grey areas are actually puddles with drop splashes on them but the layer tweaks have lost that mostly. I may have a look at changing angles and surface reflectivity to allow that to come out more. 

• katywhitekatywhite Posts: 414
    edited December 2020

@Linwelly  No problem! Glad to share that little tidbit. :)

@_ AL1vE _ & @Linwelly     So what I'm trying to portray in this render is a creepy/disturbed reaction for the audience. The man in the image is turning women into diamonds to 'keep them forever' - so he's a disturbed villian. It's inspired not just by the James Bond 'Diamonds are Forever' song but by some creepy fellow I learned about in history class. Don't remember his name for the life of me, but this guy thought a great way to 'save' endangered animals was to catch them while they are still in good condition and 'perserve them forever through Taxidermy'. I thought this was creepy and disturbing and it helped inspire me to create this piece.

So back to making this piece....so I can't have her shattered even though that would be cool because then it takes away from the perserved thing. But I did give a shot of changing the angle and putting her closer to the floor. The caustics came out kinda cool though not as I expected - kinda looks like water. All the lighting settings are the same as the last one I did just before this one. And I do see the poke through on his clothes I'll worry about that later.

Diamonds are forever new angle.png
    2000 x 2000 - 7M
    Post edited by DAZ_ann0314 on
  • davidjones8418davidjones8418 Posts: 166
    edited November 2020

My entry this month. Since there is kitbashing in this, I think that means it qualifies as Intermediate rather than Beginner.

Title: The Arrest

Software: Daz 4.12.1.118 (iRay), Blender, Gimp

Challenge: Intermediate November

Most aspects of the scene have been altered, though some more than others.

The bin. I am really happy with the bin. I took the waste bin from 99 Office Props, hid the inner surface, created a grid transparency map for the outer surface, changed the shader to aluminium, added a torus primitive to serve as the lip and a flat cylinder to serve as the base.

The water cooler is a third party model. I changed the body to brushed steel. This was easy but the water was hard. I cut the water bottle in half in blender, gave it a horizontal face and added a water shader in daz. Was a pain because the bottle was double skinned and I had to trim the inner skin off. I bought a cheap water label from a stock photo site and altered it in Gimp to fit the label surface.

The table is from a third party model, but I cut the top off in blender, made it thinner (could have done this more easily in Daz to think about it!) and inserted it into the scene as a glass shelf. It has blue downlights under there to illuminate the paperwork etc. Messed with the surfaces a bit.

The posters are primitives with hazard posters, the broken computer screen is also from 99 Office Props. Just hid the screen, added a primitive and changed it with Daz Shattered. The wall surface has been edited to fit the scene (it says security, not crew), the document surfaces changed to arrest paperwork, a title added to the book, the chair legs changed to aluminium, a tattoo on the neck.. these are little tweaks compared to the above. The pills are instances.

I am sure this is all bread and butter to people who have been doing this for a while, but a lot of this was new to me. So I really learned some things this month!

I was thinking of adding scuff marks to the floor, but it congested with detail as it is.

The Arrest.jpg
    2034 x 2034 - 992K
    Post edited by davidjones8418 on
    edited November 2020

My entry this month. Since there is kitbashing in this, I think that means it qualifies as Intermediate rather than Beginner.

The bin. I am really happy with the bin. I took the waste bin from 99 Office Props, hid the inner surface, created a grid transparency map for the outer surface, changed the shader to aluminium, added a torus primitive to serve as the lip and a flat cylinder to serve as the base.

The water cooler is a third party model. I changed the body to brushed steel. This was easy but the water was hard. I cut the water bottle in half in blender, gave it a horizontal face and added a water shader in daz. Was a pain because the bottle was double skinned and I had to trim the inner skin off. I bought a cheap water label from a stock photo site and altered it in Gimp to fit the label surface.

The table is from a third party model, but I cut the top off in blender, made it thinner (could have done this more easily in Daz to think about it!) and inserted it into the scene as a glass shelf. It has blue downlights under there to illuminate the paperwork etc. Messed with the surfaces a bit.

The posters are primitives with hazard posters, the broken computer screen is also from 99 Office Props. Just hid the screen, added a primitive and changed it with Daz Shattered. The wall surface has been edited to fit the scene (it says security, not crew), the document surfaces changed to arrest paperwork, a title added to the book, the chair legs changed to aluminium, a tattoo on the neck.. these are little tweaks compared to the above. The pills are instances.

I am sure this is all bread and butter to people who have been doing this for a while, but a lot of this was new to me. So I really learned some things this month!

I was thinking of adding scuff marks to the floor, but it congested with detail as it is.

I think the pills are just a distraction

it has something to do with banging his head at the Monitor

that impact in the screen.... 

• _ AL1vE _ said:

he really died of the Monitor impact

that hole in the screen.... 

Could be  : )

I tried to make it look like a scuffle, but the monitor is meant to be just some damaged equipment (from a prior scuffle maybe!)

Reminds me of somewhere I used to work. Obsolete equipment piled up against the walls. Would need to add a lot more grime though..

• _ AL1vE _ said:

he really died of the Monitor impact

that hole in the screen.... 

Could be  : )

I tried to make it look like a scuffle, but the monitor is meant to be just some damaged equipment (from a prior scuffle maybe!)

Reminds me of somewhere I used to work. Obsolete equipment piled up against the walls. Would need to add a lot more grime though..

somewhere where you used to work????

damn

smiley

Play Station

So, got a bit distracted from the other work and started playing with surfaces here. Used the geometry editor to make the wall lights into emissive panels. Also played with little bits of uniforms etc to change a few bits. Was more of an exercise in tweaking than anything else but had fun playing!

Station Full.jpg
    1600 x 1600 - 2M
  • aprilshowers2065aprilshowers2065 Posts: 702
    edited November 2020
    Linwelly said:

Still tweaking my first image, but here's my second entry for the beginner's challenge. Suggestions?

very nice choice and start! I really like the silver gliterring skin on the left side lady and the snske sking golden red on the right, very good! the snak skin has a bit trouble with the seams there on the arm.

Now what I suggest is a bit tricky: you could try to export the snakeskin lady in this pose but withouth hair, dress and wings as an obj without! keeping the surfaces intact. Reimport and cover it againwith your snakeskin, then parent it to the original figure which still has hair dress and wings, so the obj import takes exat the same space the lady has now, then hide the original figure but keep the obj and assets visible.

I hope that this explains it sufficiently?

generally I would think a bit more light might help this scene

Thanks Linwelly. So it turns out that wasn't a seam, but an artifact caused by the bump map giving the shadow on her arm a sharp edge. I've reduced the bump map and increased the displacement map instead and that seems to have improved that. Also increased the lighting as you suggested.

Whispers in Her Ears.png
    1333 x 1600 - 4M
    Post edited by aprilshowers2065 on
  • LaPartitaLaPartita Posts: 401
    edited November 2020

I'm working on the intermediate challenge, and I've run into a bit of a wall. The concept is that a tree - or possibly a dryad - is dancing in the wind. I've assembled all my geometry at this point, but I'm having trouble figuring how how to turn her into a tree without losing her shape - especially her face. Anybody have any ideas?

Also, I'd appreciate hearing what you guys this of the way I've matched up her body and the various tree trunks and branches - or any other critiques you have!

image Click for full size

dancing dryad 1 v9.png
    742 x 1200 - 769K
    Post edited by LaPartita on
  • LaPartita said:

I'm working on the intermediate challenge, and I've run into a bit of a wall. The concept is that a tree - or possibly a dryad - is dancing in the wind. I've assembled all my geometry at this point, but I'm having trouble figuring how how to turn her into a tree without losing her shape - especially her face. Anybody have any ideas?

Also, I'd appreciate hearing what you guys this of the way I've matched up her body and the various tree trunks and branches - or any other critiques you have!

Click for full size

brilliant idea

looking forward to see it finished

• _ AL1vE _ said:

brilliant idea

Thanks! Me too cheeky

• LaPartita said:
    _ AL1vE _ said:

brilliant idea

Thanks! Me too cheeky

try to export "her" posed of course and model the tree structure with ZBrush CORE mini (ZBrushCoreMini :: 3D For All ZBrushCoreMini :: Free Your Creativity) completely free

• Hi,

I am not sure if this is the right contest, but I noticed that "Materials" is in the scope of the challenge. Definitely my post is not going to cover "Kitbashing"I truly hope that I am not posting in the wrong contest as this is also my first post in Daz forum. Appreciate your comment and advice to my humble post. 

However, I've been doing some experiments with different materials of the skin to boost the realism of Daz model to the next level. My work was inclusive of the following 3D applications: 

1- Houdini - My main 3D Package. I designed the hair and simulated it. Also simulated the imported clothes in Houdini. 

2- Daz3D - For base model and clothing export. 

3- Bitmap - Generating textures maps.

First Attempt for Realism: 

I used Bitmap to generate displacement and normal maps to boost the details of the skin of the skin and obtain micro skin level details. The results are satisfying I guess, but the model still looks dead to me. 

1st picture shows the different normals maps and settings being considered to boost the level of details

Second Attempt for Realism: 

2nd and 3rd pictures: This is where I decided to use Vray ready Skin Material in Houdini. The results are really good and promising. But the displacement map did not contribute much as the face did not have much detail in the first place. 

I have to say that the clothes materials in Vray are astonishing and impressive! I used the base color map exported from daz to compile the cloth material.

Thanks, 

1.PNG
    1045 x 1154 - 1M
    2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 307K
    3.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 296K
    LaPartita said:

image Click for full size

This is fantastic and I love what you did here, that's already a very close merge between the lady and the tree. you could try to use a geometry shell on the character and add a bark shader to that, and maybe the same bark shader to your tree elements. to keep the face free you have two possibilties: either turn off the geometry shell for the face in the parameter settings or try to add an opacity map for the face, created with a photomanip program like Gimp of Photoshop, that way you can give the area a softer blend between the bark and the skin

Linwelly said:

Still tweaking my first image, but here's my second entry for the beginner's challenge. Suggestions?

very nice choice and start! I really like the silver gliterring skin on the left side lady and the snske sking golden red on the right, very good! the snak skin has a bit trouble with the seams there on the arm.

Now what I suggest is a bit tricky: you could try to export the snakeskin lady in this pose but withouth hair, dress and wings as an obj without! keeping the surfaces intact. Reimport and cover it againwith your snakeskin, then parent it to the original figure which still has hair dress and wings, so the obj import takes exat the same space the lady has now, then hide the original figure but keep the obj and assets visible.

I hope that this explains it sufficiently?

generally I would think a bit more light might help this scene

Thanks Linwelly. So it turns out that wasn't a seam, but an artifact caused by the bump map giving the shadow on her arm a sharp edge. I've reduced the bump map and increased the displacement map instead and that seems to have improved that. Also increased the lighting as you suggested.

yes this looks smoother, just to add that informaton, displaemetn is't having much effect in iray, so generally you lost most of the structural relief of the shader there but it's not a problem in thise case.

over all I would probably think that you could gain more for this image with a landscape format, giving the wings a bit more room to be shown, while the lower part of the image doesn't add much to the story you're telling there