November 2020 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Materials and next level kitbashing

Comments

• Intermediate Challenge. DAZ Studio, rendered in 3Delight with post-work in Affinity Photo.
    The main figure is the body of "Gregory" (G3M) with the head of "Horror from the Deep". He is wearing part of the "Undead Wizard" outfit, with more yellow added to the diffuse colour. The statuette with six arms is "Eris" (G8F), with a stone shader applied, three copies in the same pose but with the arms in different positions, sitting on a plinth from "LoREZ Statues 1". The pool is the bathtub from "Opulent spa" (with the taps hidden by the plinth. The figure in the pool is "Madelyn" (for "Izabella 7") with a green tint added to her basic skin texture. She's wearing an outfit that came with "Slender Stephanie 6". In the background, the statues are "Adrienne" (for "Victoria 6") wearing the "Lofn" armor outfit. The figure was duplicated and given a mirror pose; the figure and outfit had a stone shader applied. The archway between the statues is from "Stone Borders". The mirror behind it is from "DM's Cave of Secrets". The moon above is from "Dead Corn". The back wall and floor are two primative planes with brick/stone textures added. The 'hand lightning' is from "Orestes Electromancy". The whole scene was rendered in four parts, with the same basic lighting, but with slight tweeking for each render. The whole thing was composited in Affinity Photo.

The Pool and the Horror.jpg
    873 x 1134 - 298K
  • Stargazey said:

Intermediate Challenge. DAZ Studio, rendered in 3Delight with post-work in Affinity Photo.
    The main figure is the body of "Gregory" (G3M) with the head of "Horror from the Deep". He is wearing part of the "Undead Wizard" outfit, with more yellow added to the diffuse colour. The statuette with six arms is "Eris" (G8F), with a stone shader applied, three copies in the same pose but with the arms in different positions, sitting on a plinth from "LoREZ Statues 1". The pool is the bathtub from "Opulent spa" (with the taps hidden by the plinth. The figure in the pool is "Madelyn" (for "Izabella 7") with a green tint added to her basic skin texture. She's wearing an outfit that came with "Slender Stephanie 6". In the background, the statues are "Adrienne" (for "Victoria 6") wearing the "Lofn" armor outfit. The figure was duplicated and given a mirror pose; the figure and outfit had a stone shader applied. The archway between the statues is from "Stone Borders". The mirror behind it is from "DM's Cave of Secrets". The moon above is from "Dead Corn". The back wall and floor are two primative planes with brick/stone textures added. The 'hand lightning' is from "Orestes Electromancy". The whole scene was rendered in four parts, with the same basic lighting, but with slight tweeking for each render. The whole thing was composited in Affinity Photo.

looks like Davy Jones made it to the challenge

not bad at all

• no noseno nose Posts: 300

Gonna chime in with my entry for the intermiddiate challange, was gonna put this much sooner but techincal difficulties are a pain. Decided to go for a "royal guard" kind of outfit so I'm still considering different clothes to achieve it, besides that I still need to do some shader editing on some parts.

Besides that I'm still not sure on what kind of background I want to use, so if anyone has any suggestions for that I'll be happy

1.png
    500 x 667 - 558K
  • bookaholic121bookaholic121 Posts: 23
    edited November 2020

Time to Think

Made with Daz Studio and Photoshop

Entry to the beginner challenge.

I used Aria by P3D and gave her a different skin to change the texture up, and also changed things up in the Fancy Bathroom to make the walls and curtains and such. I'm not very confident when it comes to changing textures other than skin but I gave it a shot and had fun with it!

Time to Think.jpg
    1500 x 1500 - 1M
    Post edited by bookaholic121 on
  • aprilshowers2065aprilshowers2065 Posts: 706
    edited November 2020

Thanks -AL1vE- and Linwelly for the advice. This is my second try; upped the luminance and lowered the temperature on the flame. Still need to work on the sparks and smoke; didn't end up as evenly distributed as I was hoping.

Fire Cavern3.png
    1333 x 1333 - 3M
    Post edited by aprilshowers2065 on
  • TirickTirick Posts: 228

Time to Think

I used Aria by P3D and gave her a different skin to change the texture up, and also changed things up in the Fancy Bathroom to make the walls and curtains and such. I'm not very confident when it comes to changing textures other than skin but I gave it a shot and had fun with it!

Overall this is a great render, my only advice is that the tub edge overwhelms the shot with a saturated white stripe. I would suggest shifting the camera up (difficult I know with the scene in question while remaining in the TOS) or adjusting the aspect ratio to keep the tub edge to a smaller portion of the image, maybe cropping just below the fingertips.

• Thanks -AL1vE- and Linwelly for the advice. This is my second try; upped the luminance and lowered the temperature on the flame. Still need to work on the sparks and smoke; didn't end up as evenly distributed as I was hoping.

looking great and the fireman is lighting the scenery

that's fantastic so far

kinda spooky

• Version E here. Adding two characters looking at the sludge coming up through the bridge, two more coming up behind them, and the remains of someone who got caught in the sludge. I also adjusted the settings on the lights along the sides of the bridges. Not quite ready to try messing with the bloom settings just yet.

nov2020e.png
    1280 x 720 - 2M
  • Version E here. Adding two characters looking at the sludge coming up through the bridge, two more coming up behind them, and the remains of someone who got caught in the sludge. I also adjusted the settings on the lights along the sides of the bridges. Not quite ready to try messing with the bloom settings just yet.

excellent render

wanna suggest something

I would like to shine a spotlight on the goo-crew so they fall a bit more into focus

• _ AL1vE _ said:

Version E here. Adding two characters looking at the sludge coming up through the bridge, two more coming up behind them, and the remains of someone who got caught in the sludge. I also adjusted the settings on the lights along the sides of the bridges. Not quite ready to try messing with the bloom settings just yet.

excellent render

wanna suggest something

I would like to shine a spotlight on the goo-crew so they fall a bit more into focus

I'll have to agree with you on that and see what I have that I can use to that effect. One of the guys is a bit hard for me to see and I know where to look.

edited November 2020

Spice Hauler

Intermediate Challenge

This was fun to put together. In the spirit of old-school kitbashing this is constructed of a number of different sets and parts. I started with the rifle from the Sci-Fi Bedroom and packed in parts from Ensk Station, Ensk Station props, Alpha town, Scifi Ship Building Blocks and a few others. I then retextured using a free high-tech tiling texture, touched up for some colour variation. Background and HDRI is from Red Planet.

I'd be happy for any advice. I like it but I feel it needs bit more. 

SpiceFreighter.png
    2560 x 1440 - 4M
    Post edited by Tirick on
  • Tirick said:

Spice Hauler

Intermediate Challenge

This was fun to put together. In the spirit of old-school kitbashing this is constructed of a number of different sets and parts. I started with the rifle from the Sci-Fi Bedroom and packed in parts from Ensk Station, Ensk Station props, Alpha town, Scifi Ship Building Blocks and a few others. I then retextured using a free high-tech tiling texture, touched up for some colour variation. Background and HDRI is from Red Planet.

yes...

pull the camera back to get the "Spice Hauler" into focus or make the Star Wars "thing" at the beginning scene flying above your head

it uses a generic all-purpose-texture which is I think OK but you can do more going the extra mile using two or more own Sci-Fi spaceship textures (Google is your friend)

• vamokvamok Posts: 238

Greetings. This is my first attempt to enter a contest. I am entering the beginner challenge.

Title: When Loggers Raid the Enchanted Forest

Backstory: The Forgotten Realms aren't forgotten anymore...Drit the dark elf has had to endure the growing influence of human society. He was arrested for his vigilant acts. He had his unlicensed, exotic pet, Gwyn confiscated. He was cited for having unregistered magical swords. His home was condemned for not being built to code as were all of the dwarven mines in the area. Out of desperation, he took a job with the humans. Ironically, he is hauling the fallen trees of his adopted homeland to human-operated sawmills. At least he was able to get a human "magician" to mount some magical "glow tubes" on his truck to remind him of his home city...

This render took just over 24 hours on my ancient computer.

Here are my questions/concerns:

Does the dust on the truck in combination with the red emission lights make the truck appear blurry?

Is there too much black? I was going for a mood, but is it overdone?

And like many, ugh, the lighting.  My slow render times make adjustments a real challenge.

Thank you in advance for your tips, advice, and critiques.

when lumber comes to the fantasy forest.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    _ AL1vE _ said:

yes...

pull the camera back to get the "Spice Hauler" into focus or make the Star Wars "thing" at the beginning scene flying above your head

it uses a generic all-purpose-texture which is I think OK but you can do more going the extra mile using two or more own Sci-Fi spaceship textures (Google is your friend)

Thank you! I'll poke around and make some adjustments. I already have some ideas for reassigning some sections to a separate surface.

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,800
    _ AL1vE _ said:
    Linwelly said:

another example for next level kitbashing is this trophy I made for a virtual game

it consists of a genesis 8 female with clothes hair and the shortened baseball bat all made into one object by exporting together and then coloured in gold. everything below that little statue in made from various primitives in different shaderpresets and for the inscription I made a normal map from a text using this online tool: http://cpetry.github.io/NormalMap-Online/

like the normal map generator, thanks yes

would be great to have it offline...

There are add-ons to create normal maps with photoshop /gimp and probably standalones as well to download, just take a look for Normal map creator

Stargazey said:

Intermediate Challenge. DAZ Studio, rendered in 3Delight with post-work in Affinity Photo.

This whole thing has such a different feel to the usual render, it's really interesting

Not sure if you used that already, for the six armed statue you can hide the rest of the duplicate bodies by closing the exe of the respective bones in the scene tap, which might help with reducing render times. Though I understand that you rendered single items and composed afterwards? Mirroring the pose was a cleverer thing to get the statues like that.

Getting those very different light effects was probably intentional. Wjat I'm not sure about is if you want this to look rather flat, like a painting or if you would like a feel of more depth in this.

So right now I'm staying away from making direct suggestions because I'm not sure which way you want to go with this, so best is, if you have questions to come here and ask them

no nose said:

Gonna chime in with my entry for the intermiddiate challange, was gonna put this much sooner but techincal difficulties are a pain. Decided to go for a "royal guard" kind of outfit so I'm still considering different clothes to achieve it, besides that I still need to do some shader editing on some parts.

Besides that I'm still not sure on what kind of background I want to use, so if anyone has any suggestions for that I'll be happy

nice start, I already like her helmet, at the moment there is not much to see from tha rest of the clothes. overall they give me the impression of being a bit futuristic/scifi so maybe the background might be something in that direction as well, maybe add a weapon?

Time to Think

quite the bathroom tile you've got there :D very flashy, I like the rest of your image as well esp that you used DOF, but I think Tirick mentiones something important, the bathtub border is a bit too dominant, so cutting the image a tad higher might be a good choice in context of staying inside the terms of TOS.

You could try give her skin a bit more wet look, you can use the the dual lobe specular weight slider in the surfaces tab. choose the Skin-Lips-Nails surfacecompination for that, give it a rather high specular replectivity and play around with those sliders until you got a result you like. And maybe you've got some geometryshell prop which adds droplets of foam studs? just some ideas.

Tirick said:

Spice Hauler

Intermediate Challenge

Nothing like a good old starship kitbash. Most fun is to use one item totally out of scale (made a fishtank for my comic where I used an oversized waterglass to start with.

Pulling the cam closer and more along the ship with a nice DOF surely might improve this and crank up the emissives of the exhausts (maybee even use bloom or add an fx with some light flares thesse are simple made by youself if you don't have one at hand) some more sources of funny lights might as well be a good idea.

At the moment I'm not sure where you main light source comes from, is there a sun in your hdri system? there might be some more interesting light angles for your ship

vamok said:

Greetings. This is my first attempt to enter a contest. I am entering the beginner challenge.

Title: When Loggers Raid the Enchanted Forest

Backstory: The Forgotten Realms aren't forgotten anymore...Drit the dark elf has had to endure the growing influence of human society. He was arrested for his vigilant acts. He had his unlicensed, exotic pet, Gwyn confiscated. He was cited for having unregistered magical swords. His home was condemned for not being built to code as were all of the dwarven mines in the area. Out of desperation, he took a job with the humans. Ironically, he is hauling the fallen trees of his adopted homeland to human-operated sawmills. At least he was able to get a human "magician" to mount some magical "glow tubes" on his truck to remind him of his home city...

This render took just over 24 hours on my ancient computer.

Here are my questions/concerns:

Does the dust on the truck in combination with the red emission lights make the truck appear blurry?

Is there too much black? I was going for a mood, but is it overdone?

And like many, ugh, the lighting.  My slow render times make adjustments a real challenge.

Thank you in advance for your tips, advice, and critiques.

This looks like its going to be a fun ride!

I really like the idea and I get that you want a lot of dark in there but if you render a drow in a black truck at night  problems are bound to happen. I take it you are rendereing in Iray? Iray loves light, the more light the faster your render will be. So my suggestion is to give this some more light, esp something that lights up your character a bit more and his beautiful no " f*s to give " attitude and pose, we really want to see that! Besides some light on your character, take the complete light settings to a good deal lighter and then use the tonemapping settings to make it darker again (crush blacks, vignetting) you can try as well to use a higher shutter speed value then to make it darker. This is a lot of experimenting

The red emissive can go a good deal stronger as well, I guess that would halp as well between the light and the dirt on the truck

CarlCG said:

@Linwelly  Thanks so much for the kind words... I wasn't sure afterwards if I should've posted those images if not entering the contest, almost just deleted them, but guess i'll leave it alone.

Thank you also for the encouragement to join in, I really appreciate your suggestion.  And I certainly don't think I'm "too good" to enter, I am not by a longshot. I just along with work have multiple projects in development including another contest that requires modeling a character/outfit and textures.

But I feel motivated by what you're saying now.... and would love to participate.

If I can then, I will submit this new revised version of the previous one I posted as my entry to the "INTERMEDIATE CHALLENGE":

This one almost eloped my attention, so nice to have you in!

You render already has a great quality, I liek the change in the camera position and the addition of rain, I think this would work nicely with DOF as well.

The first version has some nice light effects ( my guess that was postwork?) I would liek to encourace you to try those in DAZ with FX effects and bloom. Her bum loohs oddly pointy from this angle maybe try to smoothing ths suit a bit so the buttcrack is a bit less prominent?

Thanks -AL1vE- and Linwelly for the advice. This is my second try; upped the luminance and lowered the temperature on the flame. Still need to work on the sparks and smoke; didn't end up as evenly distributed as I was hoping.

I think what would help you now is to reduce the opacity of the fire FX and the geometry shell, when I use a rather high kcd/m°2 the opacity of those effects can be diales really way down, this will give it more details. And I would suggest you find another rock shader for the cave yurroundings or experiment with the tiling and the bum/displacement.

For the light in the cave I wouldn't rely on the emissive of the figure, you could try adding point lights at different places in the cave to give it a bit more strukture.

And maybe you want to try using DOF as well, but first get the light settings to a way you like them.

Version E here. Adding two characters looking at the sludge coming up through the bridge, two more coming up behind them, and the remains of someone who got caught in the sludge. I also adjusted the settings on the lights along the sides of the bridges. Not quite ready to try messing with the bloom settings just yet.

This is coming along very nicely (I'm a bit amused by the guy with the gun, shooting at the goo surely is a clever thing :D)

Yes the firgure which is all dark could use a tad more light to make them more visible

I think I cought up with everybody

• Version F here.

Moved the darkest character closer to the lights, changed the light settings, did a little texture work on the jacket of one of the other characters, and tried adding some bloom.

nov2020f.png
    1280 x 720 - 2M
  • Version F here.

Moved the darkest character closer to the lights, changed the light settings, did a little texture work on the jacket of one of the other characters, and tried adding some bloom.

cool

looks like a massive radiation heat wave coming from the goo

• Alias52Alias52 Posts: 284

Take Cover

Mainly played around with surfaces here so far. Used the geometry editor to make changes to the drain pipe.

Cyber.jpg
    1600 x 1600 - 2M
  • _ AL1vE _ said:

Try this offline: https://boundingboxsoftware.com/materialize/

:)

• _ AL1vE _ said:

Try this offline: https://boundingboxsoftware.com/materialize/

:)

oh, that's very interesting

thank you

I will check it out

yes

• no noseno nose Posts: 300

Well I decided to try a different set of clothes, I'm not sure if I overdid it but I think it's more interesting. I'd like to use some sort of palace / castle for the background but I'm not sure what would work well. (at least out of what I have)

Linwelly said:
    no nose said:

nice start, I already like her helmet, at the moment there is not much to see from tha rest of the clothes. overall they give me the impression of being a bit futuristic/scifi so maybe the background might be something in that direction as well, maybe add a weapon?

thanks, I'm trying to do something more fantasy-ish, though I could try to make an alternate look at some point later.

3.png
    500 x 667 - 545K