How to create a tiara from a 2d image and then get it to fit my character.

Hi, How to create a tiara from a 2d image and then get it to fit my character. Thought this might be simple enough for me to start with but can't find a tutorial that would help. Could be I'm not looking in the right place. Software I have is daz, poser, Photoshop, hexagon, Vue complete 15, and somewhere Blender. I find hexagon and blender difficult to get to grips with which is probably why I'm looking for a good tutorial. Thanks ????

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,472

What kind of image is it, a photo of a real one or the surface of one flattened to a 2D plane?

What's the quality you are aiming at?

The simple method would be creating a primitive (was there a pipe?) and wrap the image around it while using a modified B/W version of the image as cutout opacity mask.

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838
    PerttiA said:

The simple method would be creating a primitive (was there a pipe?) and wrap the image around it while using a modified B/W version of the image as cutout opacity mask.

Create a cylinder primitive and use the picture of the tiara as an image map. Done.

Now, you need to have the tiara fill only the bottom half of the image and leave the top half blank to avoid it mapping onto the caps.

• Seven193Seven193 Posts: 1,064
    edited October 2020

If you want to learn to model anything, the first site you should look is Youtube:

Image should only be used as a reference.  You can't cheat by wrapping it on a cylinder.

Post edited by Seven193 on
  • PerttiA said:

What kind of image is it, a photo of a real one or the surface of one flattened to a 2D plane?

What's the quality you are aiming at?

Its a psd of some flower and butterfly brushes I put together.  So it can be a png, jpg or what ever.

• gillrogerscreativegillrogerscreative Posts: 35
    edited October 2020
    Ascania said:
    PerttiA said:

Create a cylinder primitive and use the picture of the tiara as an image map. Done.

Now, you need to have the tiara fill only the bottom half of the image and leave the top half blank to avoid it mapping onto the caps.

Aha, i think im with you :) Thank you :)

Post edited by gillrogerscreative on
  • Dave230 said:

If you want to learn to model anything, the first site you should look is Youtube:

Image should only be used as a reference.  You can't cheat by wrapping it on a cylinder.

hahah yes, wasnt thinking of doing that and I don't want anything like that.  Im thinking more back to nature as opposed to ornate bling. 

• Seven193Seven193 Posts: 1,064

Ok, then, but if you're making a crown of jewels or a crown of flowers, I would think the modelling process would be the same.

You could create the full pattern in 2D, and then bend it into a circle, like this:

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,818
    edited October 2020

if you ever by a slim chance choose Carrara as your modeller, we have some awesome modifiers and plugins that make this a piece of cake, other softwares like Zbrush can do it too but cost a fair bit more wink

Philemo made a cutout plugin that turns alphas and opacity maps into mesh both flat and blimps

we have bend, taper, deformation modifiers in Carrara

you can also do all this in Zbrush devil but it costs quite a few hundred dollars more cheeky

possibly there is a way in Blender too which is free but I don't find Blender very intuitive myself blush

others love it and the price free is definitely a decider.

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838
    Ascania said:
    PerttiA said:

Aha, i think im with you :) Thank you :)

To be clear, that's the most basic way of getting this done. As you can already see from the other comments, it isn't very much liked.