Can't find my new iBL Master installation

denisnormandindenisnormandin Posts: 154
edited October 2020 in New Users

Hi, I just purchased iBL Master and installed it through DAZ Central.

I can't find it in DAZ Studio!

The .pdf Manual says that the file should be located in "My Library / Props / Parris / IBL Master". There is no "Props" sub-directory under "My Library".

In DAZ Central, when I click on "Open" next to "iBL Master for Daz Studio" I am brought to my oppened window of DAZ Studio but that's it... no indication as to where iBL Master has been installed.

iBl Master Setup 1.jpg
814 x 523 - 92K
iBl Master Setup 1b.jpg
524 x 308 - 25K
iBl Master Setup 1c.jpg
1342 x 828 - 120K
Post edited by denisnormandin on

Comments

• Also, I have bought iBL Master because I have downloaded many .ibl files from a third party site and could not make them work or find help to use them in DAZ. All help would point me at this iBL Master plugin.

I hope I didn't purchase that for nothing!

• your screenshot shows the poser formats directory, you probably want to look under the daz studio formats section 'my library'

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,272

It's under DAZ Studio formats. You are looking in Poser Formats.

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

...and it should be in Props/Parris

• denisnormandindenisnormandin Posts: 154
    edited October 2020

Oups...

Thanks!

While we are here... Where should I put my .ibl files to be able to use them with iBL Master ?

I have a bunch of .zip downloads, each containing:

1 .ibl
    1 or 2 .hdr
    1 or 2 .jpg

What should I do with those, they are either skydomes or other environment setups.

Also, I have one that has 2 .exr files and no .hdr are those compatible with DAZ ?

----

Another question (related, I think, to the topic):

The skydomes I have downloaded have many .pz2 files and low-rez jaypegs (for the Environment Map I guess, or just to help identify the .pz2 files), how do I use those ?

Oups...

Thanks!

While we are here... Where should I put my .ibl files to be able to use them with iBL Master ?

I have a bunch of .zip downloads, each containing:

1 .ibl
    1 or 2 .hdr
    1 or 2 .jpg

What should I do with those, they are either skydomes or other environment setups.

Also, I have one that has 2 .exr files and no .hdr are those compatible with DAZ ?

----

Another question (related, I think, to the topic):

The skydomes I have downloaded have many .pz2 files and low-rez jaypegs (for the Environment Map I guess, or just to help identify the .pz2 files), how do I use those ?

Will you render in IRay or 3DL?

• Will you render in IRay or 3DL?

IRay, so far, I never had the kind of result I was looking for with 3DLight.

edited October 2020
    Will you render in IRay or 3DL?

.hdr or .exr are the ones to use with IRay for high definition light. You can use .jpg's but the lighting will be flat and washed out. IIRC load the image into the IBLM control sphere base color, and it should also appear in the render settings environment slot. Or vice versa, if you load it into the environment it should appear in IBLM.

Post edited by Sven Dullah on
  • Will you render in IRay or 3DL?

.hdr or .exr are the ones to use with IRay for high definition light. You can use .jpg's but the lighting will be flat and washed out. IIRC load the image into the IBLM control sphere base color, and it should also appear in the render settings environment slot. Or vice versa, if you load it into the environment it should appear in IBLM.

Happy to hear that .hdr and .exr can be used... but what is the IIRC ? Sorry if I sound totally stupid, but I am not familiar with the acronyms used in Daz or other 3D modeling software. I'm actually more of a paint and brush kind of artist. And I some times feel like I would need to be a rocket scientist to get to use Daz Studio efficiently.

So is there a .hdr (.exr) usage tutorial for dummies somewhere?

Not a DAZ or 3D acronym, IIRC is a texting shortcut: "If I Remember Correctly"

• NorthOf45 said:

Not a DAZ or 3D acronym, IIRC is a texting shortcut: "If I Remember Correctly"

Thanks, now you see that English is not my first language.

Still... My questions remain:

How do I use them (.ibl .hdr .exr) with or without iBL Master?
    Those files don't show in my content library, only .jpg .png and many other image types, but not .ibl .hdr or .exr.

• Sorry, I found some hdr files, they were just not where I thought I had put them. 

I'll sort my directories and come back, if I have any real problem.

frown

No, they won't show in the content library, and the only images that do are for thumbnails and tips. They do appear in file selection dialogs when an image can be used for a particular property. Working with raw resources can be challenging, since there is no easy way to get to what you want. What I have done with folders of images is to use a script that will open a file explorer at that location. You can have folders of images (or other resources) all over the place, but with the scripts, you can have references to them all in one place.

The example script is one that can open any file type recognized by your operating system using the native application. I use it often for local .pdf readme files, and to open folders outside of DAZ Studio. You can find the sample script here:

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/general_ui/display_document_dynamic/start

All you need to do is change the last line in the script to be a path to a folder in your library. I put anything that is not directly accessible to DAZ Studio in subfolders of General (it must be in or under a mapped library folder) and make a reference to that folder. So, if, say, you have a folder "MyLibrary\General\IBL\Freestuff2\Outdoor", the last line of the script would have "General/IBL/Freestuff2/Outdoor" as the argument. Put the script in any library folder you want and it will appear in your content library after a refresh. Activate it and an explorer window will open to that folder.

With your new folder open, you can drag and drop the image you want into the appropriate place in the parameters. If you plan to use them often, you can save render presets for each one so that you don't have to set them up each time.

Bonne chance...

• denisnormandindenisnormandin Posts: 154
    edited October 2020
    NorthOf45 said:

No, they won't show in the content library, and the only images that do are for thumbnails and tips. They do appear in file selection dialogs when an image can be used for a particular property. Working with raw resources can be challenging, since there is no easy way to get to what you want. What I have done with folders of images is to use a script that will open a file explorer at that location. You can have folders of images (or other resources) all over the place, but with the scripts, you can have references to them all in one place.

The example script is one that can open any file type recognized by your operating system using the native application. I use it often for local .pdf readme files, and to open folders outside of DAZ Studio. You can find the sample script here:

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/general_ui/display_document_dynamic/start

All you need to do is change the last line in the script to be a path to a folder in your library. I put anything that is not directly accessible to DAZ Studio in subfolders of General (it must be in or under a mapped library folder) and make a reference to that folder. So, if, say, you have a folder "MyLibrary\General\IBL\Freestuff2\Outdoor", the last line of the script would have "General/IBL/Freestuff2/Outdoor" as the argument. Put the script in any library folder you want and it will appear in your content library after a refresh. Activate it and an explorer window will open to that folder.

With your new folder open, you can drag and drop the image you want into the appropriate place in the parameters. If you plan to use them often, you can save render presets for each one so that you don't have to set them up each time.

Bonne chance...

Thanks NorthOf45,

I haven't been coming back to this thread because I thought I had all of my issues resolved. Now I have another problem. I guess I'd be better to start a new topic since it doesn't realy fall in this one. I will be experimenting with the script you have provived... I have a bit of a "Where the 'fudge' have I put those files" problem. :)