A couple of things.

Hey all. I'm totally new to Daz have used blender in the past but for my needs (high poly models) it just takes way too long. A couple of things I'd like to know about Daz and it's functions. OK so are all genesis models compatible with each other and by that I mean can say a G8 and a G2 model be used together in the same project for instance, an animation, movie or game?

Also am I correct in saying that models cannot be created from scratch as one would do with Blender? Is it the case that you buy them pre-made and manipulate them to suit your need aesthetically and fuctionally? Also If one bought a model does this come with a license giving right to use it independently on your own project elsewhere?

Many thanks folks sorry for the newbie questions, but hey i'm new to this. I'm sure I have a million more questions but I'll muddle through for now. Thanks again.

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,057
    8martin said:

OK so are all genesis models compatible with each other and by that I mean can say a G8 and a G2 model be used together in the same project for instance, an animation, movie or game?

If you meant "can I use a product for <one version of genesis> with <another version of genesis>" then the answer is "yes and no" ;)

Products made for one version of genesis can only be used directly on that version of genesis. There are however ways to convert products between versions, some included directly with the base figure and some not.

For example, G8 comes with autofit clones which enables you to convert clothes from G1, G2 and G3 automatically. If you want to go back from G8 to an earlier figures you'll need to buy additional clones. There are also batch converters available in the store to make that easier.

G8 can also use textures made for G3 directly, and vice versa. However for textures from earlier figures you'll need to purchase conversion products.

Morphs also require purchasing conversion programs.

8martin said:

Also am I correct in saying that models cannot be created from scratch as one would do with Blender?

DS is indeed not a modeling application. It includes a few primitives that you can edit with deformers or geometry editor tool, but that's very basic. You can model items in blender and import them in DS, though.

8martin said:

Is it the case that you buy them pre-made and manipulate them to suit your need aesthetically and fuctionally?

You can use tools in DS or external programs (like an image editor to edit textures, or a modeling app to morph the mesh) to modify products you buy. You can also combine products from various sets (what we call "kitbashing").

8martin said:

Also If one bought a model does this come with a license giving right to use it independently on your own project elsewhere?

What do you mean by that exactly?

The licence you get with a product allows you to create images and videos using that product (whether they've been rendered in DS or in another program), and to sell those images and videos. For games, it depends if it uses pre-rendered sprites and animations (which is covered by the standard license), or if it needs to include the 3D mesh itself (in which case you'll need to buy the additional interactive license for the products used).

None of the licenses allow you to take a product, modify it and then distribute or sell your modified version.

• Leana said:
    8martin said:

OK so are all genesis models compatible with each other and by that I mean can say a G8 and a G2 model be used together in the same project for instance, an animation, movie or game?

If you meant "can I use a product for <one version of genesis> with <another version of genesis>" then the answer is "yes and no" ;)

Products made for one version of genesis can only be used directly on that version of genesis. There are however ways to convert products between versions, some included directly with the base figure and some not.

For example, G8 comes with autofit clones which enables you to convert clothes from G1, G2 and G3 automatically. If you want to go back from G8 to an earlier figures you'll need to buy additional clones. There are also batch converters available in the store to make that easier.

G8 can also use textures made for G3 directly, and vice versa. However for textures from earlier figures you'll need to purchase conversion products.

Morphs also require purchasing conversion programs.

8martin said:

Also am I correct in saying that models cannot be created from scratch as one would do with Blender?

DS is indeed not a modeling application. It includes a few primitives that you can edit with deformers or geometry editor tool, but that's very basic. You can model items in blender and import them in DS, though.

8martin said:

Is it the case that you buy them pre-made and manipulate them to suit your need aesthetically and fuctionally?

You can use tools in DS or external programs (like an image editor to edit textures, or a modeling app to morph the mesh) to modify products you buy. You can also combine products from various sets (what we call "kitbashing").

8martin said:

Also If one bought a model does this come with a license giving right to use it independently on your own project elsewhere?

What do you mean by that exactly?

The licence you get with a product allows you to create images and videos using that product (whether they've been rendered in DS or in another program), and to sell those images and videos. For games, it depends if it uses pre-rendered sprites and animations (which is covered by the standard license), or if it needs to include the 3D mesh itself (in which case you'll need to buy the additional interactive license for the products used).

None of the licenses allow you to take a product, modify it and then distribute or sell your modified version.

Perfect, many thanks. Very thorough answer & exactly what I was looking for. Appreciate your time. :)