BRYCE RENDER CHALLENGE ►►►Late Summer Edition◄◄◄ Theme is ­ἶἶἶἶἶἶἶἶἶἶ TREES ἶἶἶἶἶἶἶἶἶἶ

Comments

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Ok, someone had to make fun of this theme ;) Btw, not an entry...I just woodn't (doh...pun) do that to you ;)

Jay

Threes.jpg
    695 x 813 - 378K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

best said in an Irish accent "begorrah it's a number tree" :coolsmile:

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,123
    edited July 2014

@mtnmen - Dave's introduction to the Instancing Lab is a good start. If you're interested to go deeper into that Lab, you should take the time to read (1.) Instancing Lab by Rashad Carter, 7 pages, 1 MB and then work through (2.) Instancing Lab by Kine_magiK 62 pages, 33 MB. Both appeared in these forums and the link points to PDFs compiled from the threads,

@Jay - cool and colourful.

Post edited by Horo on
    edited July 2014

“begorrah it’s a number tree"

Heh he ;)

Cheers, Horo...had no ideas...well, not yet anyway. :roll:

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

mtnmen said:
    @TheSavage64...
    Wow.. thank you for this... tutorial... I have never until a few days ago gone into the instancing lab... All the info you gave me here is really good... and I especially appreciate the suggestion of a multi-replicate... which would mean additional hands on placement of the trees... but less crash potential... Which I have experienced in my "instancing" ... I will jump into the lab again today... and utilize the suggestions you gave me...
    Thanks
    Steve

Well a handy hint about Multi-Replicate is to create your first tree ABOVE the highest point of your terrain. Then replicate only on the X or Z axis. When you have your row of trees, make sure they are all selected (including your original), click the downward pointing arrow on the selections little floating menu and they will all drop to the surface of the terrain following it's contours. Then without deselecting any, go to the EDIT tab and use the Y movement icon along with the Option key on the keyboard to nudge them down so all the roots are below the surface.

:-)

• Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 489
    edited December 1969

Some really nice renders here! Will comment more in the morning, but this looks like it's going to be a great challenge. Here's my first entry. I'm so over this project! Bryce shut my computer down more times than I care to count and I finally had to run the LAA tool to solve that problem. Want to change a lot, but I'm done with it. Learned a LOT and swore more than I probably should have! LOL

Bryce terrains, lattices, and trees make up the majority of the scene. The gator is from the DAZ store and the HDRI is from David and Horo's vegetation package (http://www.daz3d.com/bryce-7-1-pro-vegetation). Time to move on to the next project.

CypressWorkingModel.jpg
    1200 x 600 - 619K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@mermaid: That is such an amazing animation for this challenge. I watched it through a few times and felt I was seeing the genesis of a forest. Really nice work.

@Jay: Your pun image finally reached the deeper gray cells, and might have hit them sooner had those threes been different wood materials.

@Art: Now there's a place not fit for swimming. That scene has a terrific atmosphere.

• mtnmenmtnmen Posts: 444
    edited December 1969

@Horo... Thanks for the Instancing lab links.. I'll be downloading these right now...
    Steve

edited December 1969

@Art - that's a great swamp scene.

@mtnmen - you're welcome. In fact, Dave's post made me read through these two PDFs and do some experiments.

• Yellow PenYellow Pen Posts: 918
    edited December 1969

Jamahoney, I love your Tree :-)

Here is my first entry. The Name is "mother nature".

mother_nature.jpg
    1400 x 787 - 1M
    edited July 2014

Art...nice one...very calm, but scary ('gator... etc.,)...will save my local swim time :)

Guss...cheers ;)

Yellow Pen...yeah, get your meaning...very nice...'tree of life'...etc.

Jay...still stuck on what to do %-P(

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • Tim82Tim82 Posts: 858
    edited December 1969

my 3rd entry titled "The Lonely Bonsai" :) ....its a pity i have entered 3 now, i have about 5-6 more scenes i have made but this was my favourite :)

The_Lonely_Bonsai.jpg
    1194 x 563 - 481K
    edited December 1969

@yellow Pen: That's a neat scene. Love all the trees.

@timothybateman: Nice work on that scene. Nice use of DOF.

edited December 1969

@yellow Pen - a dreamy scene, very well done.

@timothybateman - that Bonsai looks great.

edited December 1969

thanks Jamahoney, Nemo and Horo :-)

Wow. A beautiful Bonsai, and a wonderful Scene... :-)
    I'm suprised of all your Ideas you have here.

• fictionalbookshelffictionalbookshelf Posts: 837
    edited December 1969

Wow there is a lot of amazing renders in this contest. Just amazing.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,000
    edited December 1969

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. I enjoyed doing the animation and using the Lens from the Lens and Filters pack.

Great renders from Art, Yellow Pen and Timothybateman

• Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 489
    edited December 1969

Wow, there are some really nice pieces of artwork here! Thank you for the kind words on the swamp. Although I don't recommend swimming there, I regularly frequent them and enjoy all the sights, sounds, and critters. :)

@Horo: I love your first image with the wide-angle, fisheye lens.
    @timothybateman: All of renders turned out very well. Great job.
    @Guss: I like the Lone Sentinel...standing tall above it all!
    @LordGanthor: Very neat concept. Simple with lots of meaning.
    @TheSaveage64: I like it? Metaballs? The raven is a nice touch.
    @mermaid: Ah, I love animations (check out my deviantart site to see what I mean!). You've done very well with this.
    @jama: That's a fine three you've got growing! :D
    @yellow Pen: Great concept and render!

Today's entry (#2) is entitled, "I Love You, Ticket Oak!", which is inspired by this commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xaho1xANdvs

Exported this model (http://www.daz3d.com/emotiguy), opened it in Wings 3D, attached the facial features to a cylinder, and used the sculpt tool to generate the model. Even gave him a nose! LOL If y'all are nice to me, I'll send you some ticket oak saplings to plant in your yard! LOL

TicketOak._.jpg
    800 x 600 - 368K
    edited December 1969

@Art - what a cute idea, love it; and thank you.

I haven't my third entry ready, actually not even begun. Rather I've worked on a document about the Bryce Tree Objects and rendered all 108 of them. Using BTOs results in much better and more natural trees than tweaking the default tree since the trees available in the dropdown do not update the parameters.

I thought since this challenge is about trees, I post the link here. http://www.horo.ch/docs/mine/pdf/BTO-Trees.pdf 14 pages, 7.6 MB.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,000
    edited December 1969

Art - wow I agree with Horo that's a very cute idea, love it

Horo- thanks for the pdf.

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,756
    edited December 1969

Oh my......
    I think I'll stop worrying about my entry to this challenge. Trying to create a tree from scratch (modelling it), but taking way to much time.
    What I don't like about Bryce trees is the fact that the stem is always straight. That's not real. I tried to create a treestem only and add the leaves from the tree lab, but that doesn't work because you cannot hide the stem and keep the branches visible. And it doesn't do Boolean.
    So, I think I'm stuck...
    However, I really love some of the entries. Nice lens and filter work by Horo, great 'wild Oak' and bonsais by Timothy, great sunset over the flying trees by Gussnemo, nice minimalistic entry by Lord Ganthor, I'll beware of the raven, because of TheSavage64, real OMG far too great animation by mermaid010, Jamahoney should have entered its threes tree, Fencepost52 scares us, not with a raven, but a gator and makes us laught with his next entry, Mother nature by yellow Pen looks a bit naked to me (no leaves?)

And maybe I'll enter something in the end, without any hopes of winning (seeing what has been entered before)!

edited December 1969

@Art: Thank you, glad you like it. Cross my fingers the judges do to. And I'll thrice the opinion of your latest image, so very cute.

@Horo: Thank you for that PDF, more information no in my memory banks.

@hansmar: Many a time I feel like you do about submitting an entry, so many beautiful entries against my slightly nice looking ones. Yet each time I enter an image, whether it wins anything or not, I have learned something which I can apply to the next one. It's nice to be awarded prizes for these type contests, but I wonder if it isn't nicer to learn something during the construction process. I've one more entry to submit, and have already mentally scraped several ideas. I've one idea brewing which might be workable, but I've yet to see the entire scene in my mind.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Thought I'd do an overall more friendly entry... This is what I came up with for my second go.
    I made the trees in Arbaro which can be downloaded free from here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/arbaro/

I love the Bryce Render Challenge... And once again, it's inspiring some great entries from everyone! Well done.

PebbleTreescape3.jpg
    1111 x 600 - 498K
    edited December 1969

@Horo... Thank you so much for the trees PDF... It will really be helpful... knowing what the specific Bryce trees actually look like... It will be very handy in choosing a tree type for our renders..
    Steve

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

WOW, really great renders folks, and thanks for the Abaro link Dave. I'll have to check that out.

edited December 1969

Fencepost: this is really a cutie :-)

Savage: Wow. Great :-)

So here comes my second entry.: Just a tree.

just_a_tree_1.jpg
    850 x 850 - 551K
    edited December 1969

@Dave: That's a charming image.

@yellow Pen: Nice image.

Here is my third entry. Title is: "Fire's Not The End". I tried using the instancing lab but took to many crashes in the process, so went for multi replicate instead. I was about to click on multi replicate when I realized I'd never used random replicate, and gave it a try. Once the group was created is was just a matter of C&V to create additional groups.

Weathered_Dike_9.png
    810 x 607 - 884K
    edited December 1969

@GussNemo... It is so true...Fire is not the end... It's the heat that pops all those pine cones open and spreads their seeds... Life renewed... nice image.
    I too am in the thick of the Instancing Lab... I have never ventured there before this challenge... I find it a little tricky. but.... crashes? I don't know what you're talking about...
    I hope to get done in the Instance Lab what I have plans for..I did get help from the two Instance Lab tutorials offered to me in this forum.... all the rest of the image is ready to go... As I venture into uncharted territories such as this I am constantly amazed at all the things one can do in Bryce... It's fun...I love it...
    Steve

edited December 1969

@Steve: Thank you. Things began to slow down with the more trees I added to the scene. So it wasn't unexpected to see Bryce crash when I tried to create several groups using the instancing lab. At the point I felt enough trees were added, and I started adjusting their position, cubes were being displayed during the movement. This was a first for me, but it's how Bryce handled that many objects on the screen.

edited December 1969

@Dave - lovely scene. Great trees. It's a long time since I last used Arboro.

@Steve - you're more than welcome.

@yellow Pen - that's a very nice tree.

@Jamie - now this is a new idea and very nicely done. The ground looks really burned.