Why does zeroing the pose of selected body parts fail?

Why do my attempts to select, e.g., a hand on a character, and all its children, and then use Edit>Figure>Zero>Zero Selected Item(s) Pose sometimes result in absolutely no change?

Sometimes it works. Sometimes it does nothing. I can't make any sense out of when and why it does or it doesn't.

I have tried carefully making sure to UNLOCK all relevant items before applying the Zero function. I have also tried "Clear Animation" for the selected items before using Zero. No go.

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,033

It may be due to how it was posed: some pose tools may be considered as a morph and not "pose', so they won't be zeroed. Also, if you used a pose dial at the figure level, for example, then zeroing the bodypart may not affect that dial since it's not a parameter of that bodypart.

• chris-2599934chris-2599934 Posts: 1,775

It's hard to say without more details on the original pose(s) that you're trying to zero. Is there any chance you could come up with an example - take this character, apply this pose, can't zero these bones?

In the mean time, I suggest you select your posed character, select all its bones, and select "Currently Used" in the posing pane to see what values are applied to what. The chances are that, as Leana says, there's a pose dial being applied higher up the hierarchy.

Another thing to try would be to Bake to Transforms (press Shift-B) before trying to zero the hands. This will take any pose dials out of the mix.

• mavantemavante Posts: 734
    edited August 2020

Thanks Leana and chris-2599934. I tracked it down to Pose Architect for Genesis 3 Female(s). This is a long animation, and at some point in the early going I tried using Pose Architect to create a few poses, then abandoned it in favor of other methods.

I wish I had seen your post earlier, Chris, about how to find "Currently Used" (which I find is also available in the Paramaters pane) and about "Bake to Transforms," because finding the culprit was a long and painful process. I finally found, though, that I had inadvertently dialed in Pose Architect's "Finger Roll" a small amount at one frame, and had forgotten about it. I like some of Pose Architect's functionality, but after this, I doubt I'll use it again, specifically because it can leave these kinds of hidden influences (hidden in a forest of sliders) that can override the primary DS pose functionality.

And after this experience, I have a personal opinion. It's my opinion, and nobody has to agree: All products used within DS for posing should honor and be subject to the DS "Zero" and "Clear Animation" commands, unequivocally. (That also applies to DS "Cancel" commands for many things other than posing, but that's a nightmare for a different night.)

Thanks again for your help.

Post edited by mavante on
  • 31415926543141592654 Posts: 967

Pose architect can be a powerful tool ... but it is not a set of poses, it is a tool to make poses - therefore it does not zero out or work like normal poses on the timeline. It seems like an extra step, but you design a pose, then save it as a pose, and then apply the pose to your character.

edited August 2020

Pose architect can be a powerful tool ... but it is not a set of poses, it is a tool to make poses - therefore it does not zero out or work like normal poses on the timeline. It seems like an extra step, but you design a pose, then save it as a pose, and then apply the pose to your character.

I apologize for being unclear in my stated opinion. Here is what I said again, but I will endeavor in good faith to give more clarity to what I said, red emphasis added:

ALL PRODUCTS used within DS FOR POSING should honor and be subject to the DS "Zero" and "Clear Animation" commands, unequivocally.

I count Pose Architect among "all products used within DS for posing," and my opinion is my opinion, and stands. The product at issue is, after all, named "Pose Architect."

And I will expand on my opinion by saying that Pose Architect inarguably can set NON-ZERO amounts for its supplied posing parameters, so the fact that it ignores commands from DS to ZERO pose parameters that have been set to NON-ZERO can only mean that it was made to operate that way—unless there is some compelling overarching technical reason that it could not have been made to "honor and be subject to the DS 'Zero' and 'Clear Animation' commands." If there is, I would love to hear about it.

I'm a huge fan of 3D Universe. I hope that at some point they will consider a revision or update to the Pose Archtect line that honors the DS "Zero" functions. If so, I will be among their most ardent cheerleaders for those products. Meanwhile, it caused me no small amount of time and frustration, so I'll be using and recommending other methods for posing.

Post edited by mavante on
  • SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301
    mavante said:

I apologize for being unclear in my stated opinion. Here is what I said again, but I will endeavor in good faith to give more clarity to what I said, red emphasis added:

ALL PRODUCTS used within DS FOR POSING should honor and be subject to the DS "Zero" and "Clear Animation" commands, unequivocally.

I count Pose Architect among "all products used within DS for posing," and my opinion is my opinion, and stands. The product at issue is, after all, named "Pose Architect."

And I will expand on my opinion by saying that Pose Architect inarguably can set NON-ZERO amounts for its supplied posing parameters, so the fact that it ignores commands from DS to ZERO pose parameters that have been set to NON-ZERO can only mean that it was made to operate that way—unless there is some compelling overarching technical reason that it could not have been made to "honor and be subject to the DS 'Zero' and 'Clear Animation' commands." If there is, I would love to hear about it.

I'm a huge fan of 3D Universe. I hope that at some point they will consider a revision or update to the Pose Archtect line that honors the DS "Zero" functions. If so, I will be among their most ardent cheerleaders for those products. Meanwhile, it caused me no small amount of time and frustration, so I'll be using and recommending other methods for posing.

You're aware that, whenever they're bored, Daz monitors your activity and just messes with your stuff just to drive you nuts, right?  I'm positive they have bets going on how long it takes to make you post on the forums.

Sevrin said:
    mavante said:

You're aware that, whenever they're bored, Daz monitors your activity and just messes with your stuff just to drive you nuts, right?  I'm positive they have bets going on how long it takes to make you post on the forums.

Yeah, but they have to get in line behind Google, YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, the NSA, Alexa, Siri, my smart refrigerator, and—apparently—a herd of crafty Russian hackers.

I just wish the Russian hackers—or even my smart refrigerator—would make all products used for posing in DS go to zero when I say go to zero. Daz clearly doesn't.