Any way to fix height disparity between two characters?

Does anybody know of any tricks for changing the height/size/scale of a character in order to fix a pretty significant disparity between two characters? I don't want either of them to end up looking deformed or bizarre, but I'm deep into an animation where they have been separate in scenes, and now bringing them into a scene where they have to embrace I discover that the male is significantly shorter than the female. (Where is a head banging against bricks emoji when you need one?)

I'm way, way too deep into this project to go back and change the characters at this point for already finished scene animations. I need them to be recognizeable as the same characters—but I don't want them to be like Mutt and Jeff when they are togther. (Okay, okay: It isn't that bad. But it is still very noticeable.)

If it matters, I'm using Lucas 8 for the guy (is he just basically short?), and the girl is SASE's Zinna, which is a Genesis 8 character, from over at that other store. I have no idea why they are so different in height, but I have really painted myself into a corner by poor matchmaking skills. Any ideas appreciated.

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,647

High heels.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

She could always ditch him for a taller guy like Nicole Kidman did.  Or just use https://www.daz3d.com/genesis-8-male-body-morphs?

• PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633
    Gordig said:

High heels.

On the guy? He is the shorter one...

Anyway, if there are no full body shots, simply put lucas 7 a bit higher. Otherwise you can do maybe lengthen leg or lengthen torso, cannot remember which morph packages have those.

• mavantemavante Posts: 734
    Gordig said:

High heels.

Lucas says he's not that kind of guy.

Paintbox said:
    Gordig said:

High heels.

On the guy? He is the shorter one...

What's your point?

Sevrin said:

She could always ditch him for a taller guy like Nicole Kidman did.  Or just use https://www.daz3d.com/genesis-8-male-body-morphs?

Thank you, Sevrin! I'd completely forgotten I even had the G8 Body Morphs, never having used them. They did the trick. (I have to say it took me a bit of fiddling, in extremes, to figure out what "percentage" means in the sliders—and in fact I still don't know. I found out, though, that I had to put a minus percentage in the "Height" slider to make Lucas taller, and a plus percentage in the "Height" slider to make Zinna shorter.) Oh well. It worked. I am well pleased, and grateful for your help.

mavante said:
    Sevrin said:

I found out, though, that I had to put a minus percentage in the "Height" slider to make Lucas taller, and a plus percentage in the "Height" slider to make Zinna shorter.) Oh well. It worked. I am well pleased, and grateful for your help.

There are a few sliders that work like that, and it's fairly frustrating.

• RuthvenRuthven Posts: 636

To not alterate the limbs proportions of the characters, you may just use the "scale" (all the axes) control under the "parameters" tab. This makes them globally bigger/smaller

Ruthven said:

To not alterate the limbs proportions of the characters, you may just use the "scale" (all the axes) control under the "parameters" tab. This makes them globally bigger/smaller

That was my first go-to idea, Ruthven. But there was no "Scale" parameter when I had either of the characters selected. [Cue Twilight Zone music] I know. It's weird. Right now I have a scene open in DS that has three G3 females in it, and when I click on any of them, the normal "Scale" sliders appear.

Maybe I had some weird locking or filtering or something at the time I was trying to resolve this with the two G8 characters, but the whole reason I started this thread was because while the "Translate" and "Rotate" parameters were there as expected, the "Scale" parameter was MIA. <Shrug>

• RuthvenRuthven Posts: 636
    mavante said:
    Ruthven said:

That was my first go-to idea, Ruthven. But there was no "Scale" parameter when I had either of the characters selected. [Cue Twilight Zone music] I know. It's weird. Right now I have a scene open in DS that has three G3 females in it, and when I click on any of them, the normal "Scale" sliders appear.

Maybe I had some weird locking or filtering or something at the time I was trying to resolve this with the two G8 characters, but the whole reason I started this thread was because while the "Translate" and "Rotate" parameters were there as expected, the "Scale" parameter was MIA. <Shrug>

Try looking under the "pose" panel; if I don't go wrong, that control was moved there for some generation of Genesis (can't remember exactly which one)

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,914
    mavante said:
    Ruthven said:

If the scale slider isn't visible, it is hidden - Just select "show hidden parameters"

• lukon100lukon100 Posts: 781

For some reason basic sliders like translate and scale often vanish from my Prameters tab. I've learned to expect it at this point.

I just fix it by clicking on the "All" word in the one the 3 dark gray rectangles in the top-left of the Parameters tab.

• Magic Dragon 3DMagic Dragon 3D Posts: 108

Sorry if I was too late, but wouldn't it be a good idea to simply adjust one of the characters' spines so that they reach the intended character? In this case, make the taller character "bend down" (changing the position of the spine) to reach the smaller one! I had two G8F characters of different heights and I wanted them to kiss, but as one is taller than the other, the solution was to move the spine and neck so that both characters' lips could reach it. Now if we are talking about a 1.50m tall woman with a 1.80m tall guy, then it will be quite a job to adapt the poses because both characters have extremely different heights.

An analogy I like to make is with DJing: to make two tracks align perfectly, we need to adjust the pitch control to the same BPM as the track we want to mix. For example, my CDJ on deck 1 is at 124 BPM and the second deck is at 125. In this case, I would have to leave them all at 124 BPM or 125 BPM so that the beats fit perfectly, and we can mix two tracks. But what if one of this tracks happens to have, for example, 115 BPM and the other 135 BPM? Note that there is a huge disparity in tempo and mixing these tracks without making one faster than the other or without changing the pitch becomes impossible.

We can apply the same idea to 3D character poses. If one character has a very different height than the other, the process of joining these two characters becomes an extremely difficult or even impossible task without sacrificing something.