(Released!) Food Shaders [Commercial]

Comments

• Looks unbelievable. Can't wait to get it. Hopefully in store before Christmas Halloween ;-)

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

@Those Things

These are PHENOMENAL! More than just an Insta-buy. I'd pay in advance for these. I thought your poses were amazing but these are beyond my imagination.

I chuckle about your pie making. My Daughter by marriage is a great cook and even better baker. Given Covid isolation she's been baking more bread and pies than usual. Sadly only my Son and Granddaughter get the benefit of those. sad

• jardinejardine Posts: 1,190

wow! 

there's even chopped celery in the stew.  way to go!

j

• AnEye4ArtAnEye4Art Posts: 703
    jardine said:

wow! 

j

I like the detail in the stew as well. I am gonna be changing textures on some mediocre food models that I have.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,255

*sigh* I'll probably buy them, even though I just about only use 3DL. 

Actually, once I find one of those semi-mythical round tuits, I may try to use the texture maps and rebuild 3DL versions. I'll post some of my results, here, but it will be a while. I know it worked reasonably well with some rather beautiful fabric shaders.

• Those ThingsThose Things Posts: 1,113
    JOdel said:

*sigh* I'll probably buy them, even though I just about only use 3DL. 

Actually, once I find one of those semi-mythical round tuits, I may try to use the texture maps and rebuild 3DL versions. I'll post some of my results, here, but it will be a while. I know it worked reasonably well with some rather beautiful fabric shaders.

I also need some round tuits! If you find a good source for them, let me know!

Looks unbelievable. Can't wait to get it. Hopefully in store before Christmas Halloween ;-)

jardine said:

wow! 

j

fastbike1 said:

@Those Things

These are PHENOMENAL! More than just an Insta-buy. I'd pay in advance for these. I thought your poses were amazing but these are beyond my imagination.

I chuckle about your pie making. My Daughter by marriage is a great cook and even better baker. Given Covid isolation she's been baking more bread and pies than usual. Sadly only my Son and Granddaughter get the benefit of those. sad

Thank you all! I'm so glad you like these odd little shaders. I'm going to include 2K versions too, for those who don't need 4K image maps chewing up their ram for a little thing like a food item in a scene.

edited October 2020
    AnEye4Art said:
    jardine said:

I like the detail in the stew as well. I am gonna be changing textures on some mediocre food models that I have.

Should work fine, but it will definitely depend on the topology and UV mapping of the model you apply them to. If it's got a lot of triangles, the textures and displacements might come out a little wonky, and if the UV maps are stretched, the textures will be too. I think this applies mostly to older Daz models in the inventory, but I've seen these problems on newer models, too. 

As an example, I made a quick mouse, eating a piece of cheese. For the cheese, I applied the Swiss Cheese texture to a meteor model from the Lunar Craters Moonscape set. You can see immediately the problems. The holes have straight edges, the texture is mapping at different scales, and the tiling seems wonky as well:

A quick look at the topology of the model reveals that it is all triangles. Perfectly fine for the texture it came with, terrible for applying your own, custom textures to:

Finally, we take another look at its UV map, and we find this: 

Waaaay more seams than neccessary, overlapping areas, and (judging by face size variations) probably quite a bit of stretching, too. Again, nothing wrong when it's just for a hunk of rock in a scene, but terrible when we try to turn it into a piece of cheese for a mouse.

Mouse Example 1.png
    700 x 560 - 447K
    Mouse Example 2.png
    699 x 589 - 371K
    Mouse Example 3.png
    727 x 729 - 30K
    Post edited by Those Things on
    edited October 2020

On the other hand, I have this cup of green tea in my collection, and it's nicely modeled and UV unwrapped, so it was no difficulty to change the tea into macaroni and cheese: 

Tea and Cheese.png
    1000 x 563 - 724K
  • If there is a sequel, I'd like shaders for cutlery. I mean one uses e.g. a spoon to eat that mac and cheese, but the spoon isn't spotless while eating or after. Same for plates, etc.

• AnEye4ArtAnEye4Art Posts: 703
    @ Those Things: thanks for the detailed explanation. I will still get your awesome product anyways.

On the other hand, I have this cup of green tea in my collection, and it's nicely modeled and UV unwrapped, so it was no difficulty to change the tea into macaroni and cheese: 

If there is a sequel, I'd like shaders for cutlery. I mean one uses e.g. a spoon to eat that mac and cheese, but the spoon isn't spotless while eating or after. Same for plates, etc.

Hmmm...interesting idea...

• DripDrip Posts: 1,143

May I suggest an icecream collection for next summer? I think people will start looking for such a thing somewhere around April already. (Except for the Aussies, who would be up for an icecream for Christmas)

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

I don't have time right now to read six pages of posts, so forgive me if it's been announced already, is this coming soon? I kind of need these shaders in my life. lol I have some scenes coming up for my comic that these shaders would be perfect for!

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,717

Yummy! These are mouthrendering.

• 3Diva said:

I don't have time right now to read six pages of posts, so forgive me if it's been announced already, is this coming soon? I kind of need these shaders in my life. lol I have some scenes coming up for my comic that these shaders would be perfect for!

Wrapping up the presubmition work now...

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944

Oh wow, I was on the fence but that's a lot of awesome research & work. Thanks for the effort.

• pdspds Posts: 593

I don't know exactly how or when I would use these, but the quality and creativity is so off the charts, it's an instabuy--even if for no other reason than to support such a talented artist to see what comes next. Kudos, @Those Things. I look forward to seeing this product in the store!

• pds said:

I don't know exactly how or when I would use these, but the quality and creativity is so off the charts, it's an instabuy--even if for no other reason than to support such a talented artist to see what comes next. Kudos, @Those Things. I look forward to seeing this product in the store!

+1 and +1 wink

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,762

As I've said before, these are all just amazing.  Really looking forward to be able to have my charaters take Mac and Cheese and spaghetti baths just because they can. :)

Once these are out, folks need to start posting food models and food model alternatives to use with these.  I've already got a huge bunch of rocks, asteroids, liquid splats, bricks and other items I can't wait to test these out on. :) 

edited November 2020
    pds said:

Thank you so much. You can't know how much I value the feedback I get here. Just makes me work harder.

And I promise, when the radiation mutates me into a giant ice cream spider-baby that lays waste to the globe before it melts, I will do my best not to vaporize your homes. 

Baby Cream.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 924K
  • NathNath Posts: 2,721

Nightmare fuel

Love it!

• ThyranqThyranq Posts: 584

You have THE BEST example images I've ever seen hahaha
    I hope some of these make it into promos!

• Hope this thing gets released before my current store credit melts too much. Can't wait.

• gitika1gitika1 Posts: 948

Looking forward to this.

• Very close now...

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145

Yay!  So excited to play with this shader.  

• ThyranqThyranq Posts: 584

Very close now...

*licks lips*

• Very close now...

Um, like tomorrow?
  • SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301