Do regular weight maps influence dForce?

Do regular weight maps influence dForce? I'm experimenting with using dForce for G8 Female's breasts but things aren't working as I expected. I put a dForce modifier weight node on her, then made the map all gray except for her breasts. The map is red over the surface of her breasts, so I assumed they would fully collapse and drape down like regular cloth. I was a bit surprised when that didn't happen though. The front does cave in, but for whatever reason, the under curve of the breasts holds its shape no matter what way I tilt the figure. I know it's not usually the desired outcome to have breasts fall and drape like fabric, but that's what I want them to do for my experiments. Unless the regular weight maps that are included in G8F are causing them to hold their shape, I'm not sure what else it would be. And if it is the weight maps, how do I know what ones to change? There are many of them that influence the chest area. With dForce weight maps, red equals full deforce influence. Is that the same with the other weight maps or is gray the color I need to make dForce ignore the regular weight map? Will altering the weight maps cause other problems for me? 

Comments

• You are sure those aras are weighted as you intended on your own maps?

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,145

Collision sometimes makes cloth stick to the figure like glue, like under a character's breast. Poser cloth had the same problem. The cloth falls toward the figure easily enough, but has more difficulty falling away from it. Unfortunately you can't turn off collision with the figure. Have you tried pulling the fabric away from the bottom of the breasts first with a dformer and then run a sim? Sometimes if it's far enough away, it'll start moving with gravity again.

Laurie

• QuasarQuasar Posts: 577

You are sure those aras are weighted as you intended on your own maps?

Yes. I only have one dForce modifier weight node that I created. The surface of the entire area is red when I have the modifier selected. That's why I was curious about the weight maps at first. As a test, I created a copy of the figure with the same dForce modifier weight node and map. I then deleted the regular weight maps that were on the chest. It didn't change the dForce simulation any, so I guess they don't change dForce influence after all. I have been getting closer to the results I expected after adjusting the default dForce settings. Lowering shear stiffness and bend stiffness made a difference. It still seems odd to me that they were ignoring gravity so well with the default settings. 

AllenArt said:

Collision sometimes makes cloth stick to the figure like glue, like under a character's breast. Poser cloth had the same problem. The cloth falls toward the figure easily enough, but has more difficulty falling away from it. Unfortunately you can't turn off collision with the figure. Have you tried pulling the fabric away from the bottom of the breasts first with a dformer and then run a sim? Sometimes if it's far enough away, it'll start moving with gravity again.

Laurie

I see what you are getting at. I've noticed that downside to dynamics as well. Although I'm using dForce on G8F herself and not on fabric, I can see a bit of this issue happening so I'll need to try fixing that as well.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,814

You might try turning Self Collide off in the simulation settings on the Surfaces pane. 

• Saxa -- SDSaxa -- SD Posts: 871
    Quasar said:
    It still seems odd to me that they were ignoring gravity so well with the default settings. 

Those settings at higher levels literally lock the verts in place, because they literally aren't allowed to  move.   With those high stiffness settings the material is like a 4" tree trunk.   Won't bend much.  Turn them ultra low to start like 05% to start whci is like dropping a kleenex almost, and work your way back up. (as you already found smiley ).

As you already know now, general weights are not really relevant to dforce.  Other than their relationship to the respective bones do determine the position of mesh in various poses (which is your dF start position).  Which is probably best that way.  Custom rigging dynmaic bodies is challenging at best of times to work with many poses, and in DS, that weight brush setup, though decent, still needs some work.  Would be more headaches if it was needed.

Did you get Hamster's dF Breast stuff (Keicy char or actual dF Breast)?  If you're playing with with dF soft body, you owe it yourself to check this out.  Uses a proxy mesh of sorts.  From the sessions I gave myself time to play with this, would say it's an interesting direction.  Will resume again at some point, but feeling is that dF setup needs more features.  For one, Gravity isn't working properly in that setup.  It's more like a scaled on-off switch for dF effect, as opposed to a weight/gravity dynamic. Or that was my initial impression when I played with many weeks ago.