Stick a fork in me... or maybe not...

wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Jaundice! I do NOT recommend anyone try it.

Just in case you're unaware, Jaundice is when the bile your liver is supposed to process backs up and gets into your blood stream, causing you to itch like crazy, turn yellow, skin starts burning, and when enough of it is in your brain, you enter a state of dementia that is... well... not fun.

Anyway, so I got Jaundiced... ended up in the hospital where they found a "mass" next to the tube that connects the pancreas to the liver, kinking it... biopsy: yeah, it's cancer.

Well, it IS Pancreatic Cancer, but it's the size of a pea... so all is not lost... mostly, when Pancreatic Cancer is discovered you're done... get hospice care, you're not long for this world. The five percent that catch it early, well, I fall into that category and that gives me an even chance of surviving it.

Not that I'm afraid of death, mind you. Death is part of life, and I've had a pretty entertaining one, flittering in and out of this community as I have over the past eighteen years.

I just don't want to die in agony... that would suck!

Anyway, I know there are those of you out there who do remember me fondly, and I just wanted to let y'all know why I won't be able to keep my promises of coming back any time soon... thanks for understanding...

Comments

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,148
    edited December 1969

My heart and wishes that you survive this go out to you Wancow. I'm glad there is a chance that things could be survival for you. You would be missed by allot of folks.

Hugs

Rich

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

I feel like I am not very good at coming up with the proper thing to say about things like this... That said I hope you feel less itchy and so forth very soon and that this all turns into one of those funny stories you get to tell people 20 years from now, I'll keep you in my thoughts while you get better.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,927
    edited December 1969

my thoughts and prayers are with you and hope you can rejoin us soon, fit and healthy (hugs)

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,621
    edited December 1969

...wow, not sure what to say. Hopefully they have caught it in time.

You have been an influence to many, including this one, especially when it comes to pushing beyond what one feels are limits.

Take care and am hoping all goes good for you.

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,692
    edited June 2014

Sorry to hear the bad news. It sounds like they may have caught it in time. Sounds like you definitely have better odds than most. Hang in there and stay positive, Will keep you in my thoughts and payers, We need you around here to help keep things interesting!

Post edited by DustRider on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

If you're in the five percent who caught it early, then that probably means you can disregard 95% of what you read that doesn't sound promising :) We're here for you- whenever you need some cheering up or just chit chat. Hope you can keep popping in, it might help take your mind off of it, if even for a little bit. Let us know what we can do for you.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

I am sending you well-wishes! Take care!
    {{{{{hugs}}}}}

• mrposermrposer Posts: 1,128
    edited December 1969

Sending warm regards and a speedy recovery to you Wancow.... I really appreciate all you have contributed here on the forums and over at ShareCG.

• nobody1954nobody1954 Posts: 933
    edited December 1969

My thoughts are with you. Good luck.

• ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528
    edited December 1969

Fingers crossed for you!

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

I choose to believe you are in the group that will make it through this, alive, well, kicking and creating. You've got lots of friends here who are all supporting and loving you.

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

Now wait just a second there, Mister. Who said you could just give up and go away? You're in the 5 percent and they're giving you an even chance. Careful, I'll sic my uncle on you. He used to be a DI at Paris Island. You're no done yet so stick around.

• IndigoJansonIndigoJanson Posts: 1,100
    edited December 1969

I was happy to see your name and avatar appear... but then very sorry to hear that you've been hit by all these health problems and are not out the woods yet. Wishing you the very best, and hoping you'll make it back to full health.

You certainly inspired me as a newbie here. People who are generous and supportive (whether to me or just to other people generally) always stay in my mind, and you have long been one of them.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,947
    edited December 1969

With all due respect I shall park myself firmly in the "maybe not" camp. :) Long may you stay within that 5%!

• JennKJennK Posts: 834
    edited December 1969

Wishing you all the best, And I look forward to seeing you post lots more in the future. (I too am in the camp than believes you can beat this)

• riftwitchriftwitch Posts: 1,404
    edited December 1969

I'm sorry to hear about this, but it sounds like they caught it early. My wife had cancer surgery before last Christmas, and it appears that they got it all. I wish you as much luck as she had.

• Digital Lite DesignDigital Lite Design Posts: 728
    edited December 1969

Wishing you all the best - and looking forward to seeing you back here. Thinking positive. :) Early is good.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

praying for get well soonest.

• andolaurinaandolaurina Posts: 667
    edited December 1969

Wancow, I'm sorry to hear that you're going through this, but super-happy to hear you're in the 5%. I'm praying for a complete recovery for you. PM me if you ever want to talk or have more specific prayers. I'm glad you came out here and posted this so we could cheer you on. Big hugs to you!

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

Thank you, everyone!

Yesterday was a particularly bad day. I experienced the same level of confusion I did the day I went to the hospital, though I know the jaundice is on its way out of my system. My understanding is that the bile accumulates in fatty tissue... the brain has a lot of that... we're all "fat heads" in the end...

I've stopped doing much of anything, and I miss that. Some of you know I was doing this blog: http://livermore.patch.com/blogs/homelessness-for-stupid-people?content_subdomain=livermore

But I really wanted to get a copy of 3D Coat and realize a project I wanted to do involving Freighters... (not enough well thought out freighters in Space Opera stuff... IMHO)

But, as you may have guessed by now, Jaundice really does put a damper on one's ability to focus. It took me nearly 45 minutes to write the initial post in this thread and I've been doing this one for more than 30 minutes already. My version of "normal" will be when I have all that crap out of my system entirely... Anyway, been reading some of your threads, seeing your work, and I'm loving all of it... you guys keep it up!

• edited June 2014

Sending you a load of Best Wishes and such from the crop I've been trying to farm. (Farming in the sense of convincing myself to generate my own positive thoughts to help my own situation.) ;-)

I know what you mean about itching like crazy. The same thing can happen when one's kidneys stop working properly. Grrrgh! Not fun, not to mention dealing with the other symptoms for these illnesses. Get well!

Post edited by 7th Stone Productions on
  • WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

I am so sorry to hear this Christian. I do so hope they have found it in time. You can fight this my friend, you are a fighter. Please don't give up on us all. We are here to support you through all this.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,760
    edited December 1969

I am hoping the best. Hope you can beat this thing.

• ZamuelNowZamuelNow Posts: 753
    edited December 1969

I was happy to get a PM from you only to get this bit of bad news. Hope you hang in there and it's good they caught it early.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

Hoping you make a full recovery- keep us posted.

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,366
    edited December 1969

All my best wishes. I'm sure you will do well and be fully recovered in no time. You still have a long life to live.

Charlie

• frodifrodi Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

You will fight this and get better, we are all on your side and helping with prayers, positive thoughts, good karma and anything that comes to hand.

• Ryuu@AMcCFRyuu@AMcCF Posts: 622
    edited December 1969

Best wishes for you to beat the cancer. Hopefully, they caught it in time.

Also hoping that someone will finally get around to making the Millennium Cow for you.

Cheers & get well NOT-DAZ Soon!

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

I'm glad that they caught it early and you do have a fighting chance. Thank you for posting this update, which I'm sure wasn't easy.

You are a true asset to the community and we all miss you, but if you will be away for a while in order to focus on your health, of course we understand. Best wishes for a full recovery!

• CyberDogCyberDog Posts: 232
    edited December 1969

Prayers and best wishes for full and speedy recovery. I have been hoping you would be back but not with bad news. Hang in there.