DELETE

davesodaveso Posts: 6,440
edited October 2021 in The Commons

DELETE

Post edited by daveso on

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,822

with me the thrill is there the money is gone ...

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

Sometimes you just need to walk away for awhile. I've done it multiple times over the last 20+ years - sometimes for years at a time.

Laurie

• tj_1ca9500btj_1ca9500b Posts: 2,047
    edited July 2020

It's becoming harder and harder for me to find stuff to pull the trigger on that takes advantage of the monthly PC+ coupons.  The $6 off DO's is a bit easier, but that $6 off of $18, every time I want to use it some other coupon is in play, so it keeps getting coupon blocked.  Or, the other items in the sale are 'freebies' along with some new item so again, it doesn't come into play.  If I try adding other items to that cart, I only get partial credit for the coupon. I can contact CS after the fact, but these days I'm just tired of begging.

I used to be able to use both coupons by mid-month, but these days I'm scrambling at the end of the month to use them, hoping for some last minute sale... one of these times the $6 off $18 may end up going unused...

Post edited by tj_1ca9500b on
  • evacynevacyn Posts: 958
    edited July 2020

The great thing about taking a break for a while is that maybe... just maybe ... by the time you get back there actually might be new DO stuff available when they give it away with Pro Bundle promos :)

Post edited by evacyn on
  • tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,377

@Daveso, you do sound a little unhappy about your own uninterestedness, hope that passes soon! I shouldn’t worry about that ‚Meh‘ feeling much. Me, I‘ve only ever bought one single Gen8 Pro bundle so far I believe (Edie, she was just too much fun to pass by) - usually, there‘s too many similar outfits in them that I don‘t need and don‘t want cluttering my runtime. I like sifting through them, though, so they can be quite fun without ever buying them. And there’s TONS of things here apart from the bundles that I‘m interested in and get excited about when they’re on sale.

That said, the offer today is really really good I think, and I‘ve had the Valentino bundle on my wishlist ever since its release ... Lots of neat outfits and hairs in it that one can use for all kinds of period renders. And I really like the dashing Romeo character with all the add-ons like the blind eye and scars and such ... ;-)

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,501
    edited July 2020
    Post edited by NylonGirl on
  • davesodaveso Posts: 6,440
    edited October 2021

DELETE

Post edited by daveso on
  • mwokeemwokee Posts: 1,275

Some of the bundles in my wishlist are discounted and with the sale I could get them for $19. But I didn't buy any. Like-to-have is not the same as need-to-have. I don't need more characters and spacesuits and loincloths. I need STUFF and SETTINGS. I want a 1950's kitchen bundle with appliances, clothes and hair styles. Frankenstein laboratory. Realistic factory assembly line. REALISTIC BUSINESS OFFICE, not the cartoony ones. List goes on.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

The thrill is not gone for me,  but I own all the pro bundles I want and the ones that remain I own the hair and clothing so they aren't a good value, it would be awesome if they would let us complete bundles by buying the few remaining items from the bundles but that would be complicated.

• I honestly think it's nice, its more to choose from, and way more variety. I don't need or get every bundle, but there's always something there when I need it. instead of "get all 12!" it's WOW there's a lot to mix and match from.

I'll add that I can't remember the last time I used a figure 100% as is out of the box, so to speak... I treat every shape as just one more option to dial and mix. 

These days too, there's so many options that I think some of get a bit picky- i know I do, anyway- but with so many things to choose from, it's really hard to complain. If something doesn't suit, there's gotta be another take or spin on the same theme/style that probably does. :)

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,822

if I hadn't fast grabbed Oso3D's wurms earlier I might have bought one but now I need to buy food for the week

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

I think every artist hits a "slump" every once in a while. It's normal, and taking a break for a while, as a couple of people have suggested, might be a good plan. I took a break for a couple of months last year and came back with a renewed vigour and interest in all things 3D.

Sometimes we just need to do something else for a little while and recharge our batteries and remember what it is we love about this art form. Absence makes the heart grow fonder. Sometimes we need an absence from that which we love - gives us time to remember what we love about it and then we usually end up missing it and come back. :D That's how it usually works for me anyway. Maybe take a break and find a different creative outlet for a little while. :)

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,566

Time to actually start using them assets and create some renders, LOL

edited July 2020

hahah That may be helpful too! :D

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,081

It's becoming harder and harder for me to find stuff to pull the trigger on that takes advantage of the monthly PC+ coupons.  The $6 off DO's is a bit easier, but that $6 off of $18, every time I want to use it some other coupon is in play, so it keeps getting coupon blocked.  

Sadly for me, filling test carts has become a hobby in and of itself.  I very often fill a cart with Daz3D store goodies and then clear it.  Time I spend doing this could be spent modeling and texturing stuff myself.   :(

My use of the $6 off $18 coupon focuses on each day's "Featured Artist" sale.  If I am buying a new release in the sale, I check to see if there are PAs among the "Fearured Artists" who do not go on sale as often (seemingly).  I look through those PAs' back catalogs to see if there are $18 of stuff that I'm interested in.  I don't buy a new release just to trigger such a sale, though.  Coupon-blockage is less common that way, but it still happens.

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,688
    AllenArt said:

Sometimes you just need to walk away for awhile. I've done it multiple times over the last 20+ years - sometimes for years at a time.

Laurie

Then I hope your last break was recent.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005

I see this with many people in many hobbies... the excitement and thrill is gone, but maybe it's not so much because of the amount of content you own, but because the danger is gone.

Probably when you first got into 3D you didn't know much about the software and the techniques... older computers were not as reliable as today's and you never knew when the computer might crash in the middle of a render or explode in a massive fireball killing everyone in a five hundred meter radius.

That sensation of rendering on the edge of life and death was thrilling to most of us back in the day... well... those of us who survived.

I find that when I get bored with 3D, it helps to set up a scene or do creative work in a room full of angry cobras or on the edge of an active volcano... bubbling lava can really add a thrilling sense of the unknown to any render session.

Maybe that's not the solution, but it might be worth try.

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,688

I like the frequent bundles because when there is a relatively lackluster skin on a Core Figure (like Scar or Aubrey), I don't have to wait very long for another candidate. When they've released ten male skins on the level of Dain 8 and ten female skins on the level of Babina 8 (actually the latter has probably happened already) then they can slow down.

xyer0 said:
    AllenArt said:

Laurie

It was ...'bout broke my heart. I thought she was gone forever. Even her amazing freebies went "poof". I was SO HAPPY when she came back! :D

edited July 2020
    McGyver said:

I see this with many people in many hobbies... the excitement and thrill is gone, but maybe it's not so much because of the amount of content you own, but because the danger is gone.

Probably when you first got into 3D you didn't know much about the software and the techniques... older computers were not as reliable as today's and you never knew when the computer might crash in the middle of a render or explode in a massive fireball killing everyone in a five hundred meter radius.

That sensation of rendering on the edge of life and death was thrilling to most of us back in the day... well... those of us who survived.

I find that when I get bored with 3D, it helps to set up a scene or do creative work in a room full of angry cobras or on the edge of an active volcano... bubbling lava can really add a thrilling sense of the unknown to any render session.

Maybe that's not the solution, but it might be worth try.

ROFL!!! Oh man! I had a good laugh - I needed that! :) Thank you, McGyver! 

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • JPJP Posts: 60

I love the HDRI content. I've purchased quite a few of them and they are very good. Wouldn't mind more HDRI maps - interior, exterior etc.

edited October 2021

DELETE

Post edited by daveso on
    edited October 2021

DELETE

Post edited by daveso on
  • hacsarthacsart Posts: 2,024
    edited July 2020

Yeah... dry spells happen..  Here's a render from 1998 (Bryce 3) that I did to express that..

dryspell.jpg
    1120 x 831 - 145K
    Post edited by hacsart on
    xyer0 said:
    AllenArt said:

Laurie

It was not. LOL I've been back into it again for the last 12 years ;). However, the last time I took a break I was gone for nearly 5 years.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

Let me get this straight...

You mean use the stuff we've bought to make renders?

... Hadn't thought of that.

AllenArt said:
    xyer0 said:
    AllenArt said:

Laurie

It was not. LOL I've been back into it again for the last 12 years ;). However, the last time I took a break I was gone for nearly 5 years.

Oh, I thought your disappearance and the removal of your freebies was when you were taking a break. Goodness, if that wasn't a break I'd hate to see an actual break. lol

AllenArt said:
    xyer0 said:
    AllenArt said:

Laurie

Oh, I thought your disappearance and the removal of your freebies was when you were taking a break. Goodness, if that wasn't a break I'd hate to see an actual break. lol

Nah, that was a blip. LOL My muse is definitely on vacation at the current time though, but I keep keepin' on. laugh

Laurie

• Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,758

it helps to set up a scene or do creative work in a room full of angry cobras or on the edge of an active volcano... bubbling lava

Where is the render of this? I know you all didn't miss that imagery and opportunity.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,576
    edited July 2020
    tsroemi said:

@Daveso, you do sound a little unhappy about your own uninterestedness, hope that passes soon! I shouldn’t worry about that ‚Meh‘ feeling much. Me, I‘ve only ever bought one single Gen8 Pro bundle so far I believe (Edie, she was just too much fun to pass by) - usually, there‘s too many similar outfits in them that I don‘t need and don‘t want cluttering my runtime. I like sifting through them, though, so they can be quite fun without ever buying them. And there’s TONS of things here apart from the bundles that I‘m interested in and get excited about when they’re on sale.

That said, the offer today is really really good I think, and I‘ve had the Valentino bundle on my wishlist ever since its release ... Lots of neat outfits and hairs in it that one can use for all kinds of period renders. And I really like the dashing Romeo character with all the add-ons like the blind eye and scars and such ... ;-)

...having been a compulsive dial spinner and kitbasher from almost the get go (creating viable teen and child characters back in the Gen4 days), I feel the same way about the plethora of new characters being released constantly (not just the core Daz ones).  It's not just here either as the other store is pretty saturated as well. I only purchase a new character if there is something unique, or features are custom sculpted. . I also only purchase base Daz characters for the foundation of what I refer to as my "gene pool" which is further augmented by the use of GenerationX2 (part of the reason I stopped at G3).

Thus, I actually tend to value merchant, morph and other resoruce content over new characters as I find it more cost effective.

As to clothing if it isn't something appropriate for a given character's age or something one would wear daily to work or whatever, I tend to steer away from  it.  Also not being into high fantasy and horror tends to save financial resources (the two genre together being the largest output segment of clothing products).  The introduction of dFroce, and with almost all new clothing requiring it, has further curtailed my content purchases as I have older hardware and it is difficult to tell what content will work as conforming and what won't. (I've only seen a few products which specified so in their Readme files).

Post edited by kyoto kid on