Where are the directions for manual offline install?

DiscipleDisciple Posts: 76
edited July 2020 in Daz Studio Discussion

I've used Poser for years.  Haven't gotten into D|S because I animate and its IK tool is useless, but I'd like to make some still images.

My Studio computer will be a 64-bit Win10 with NVidia.  The internet is not allowed to touch it.  Sneakernet only.  I'm searching and seeking directions on how to download my DAZ code and content (figures from Millennium2 to Genesis8) on a different computer and use it on my don't-touch computer.  Can't find any.  Forum FAQ's are dead links.  First, the D|S download page won't offer the 64-bit Windows install package to my online computer.  Second, the confusing array of support tools aren't helping.  DAZ Connect?  Install Manager?  Content Manager?  DAZ Central?  All of them?  Which one does what is an opaque mishmash of function overlap on their product pages.  Besides, all of them are fully packed with terms like "automatically" and "log in to your account".  Where is the page that tells me how to install, set up, and use Studio+content on a computer that is actually offline... not merely logged out?  Thanks.

Hallelujah!

Disciple

Post edited by Disciple on

Comments

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,063

I do this -- give me a while to clean up an old procedure for you.

You'll need an external USB drive (2 TB or larger - for the process to work you'll need to keep all the downloads) that can be moved between systems or you could just do a network share of the download directory to the offline system.

Now to see how badly this buggers up my copy -

There are two systems to set up - the I (Internet) system and the O (Offline) system. Download and install DIM (Daz Install Manager) on both systems.
    On the I system:

Start DIM.  Click the Add Account' button and fill in your DAZ Store user name and  email address.  Click 'Accept'. Now select 'Work Offline' and click Start.
    Click on the gear icon, top right, for the settings menu - select Advanced Settings.
    Click on the 'Downloads' tab and set your download directory on the USB drive- I use G:/dim-download on my laptop; then scroll through the data types to select what you actually want to see as available downloads - DAZ Studio 4.5+, Install Manager, General, Software, Plugin, Windows (either or both bit levels) are probably what you'll want. Include Public Build if you want to be able to get the Studio beta(s) when they come out. Also include 'Connect Avaiable', as some products end up with this as the only tag. Click on 'Accept'.

Now click on your user name, top right, to get back the account logon popup. Fill in your password - optionally, click the 'Remember Me' checkbox as well - and click 'Start'.

DIM will now contact Daz and build a list of all downloadable products you've purchased (You have 'purchased' Studio I assume?) When the list is complete you have two options - download everything, or just download Studio and Postgres; I recommend just the two for now, so click on the little magnifier next to the filter box, select 'Filter by Tag' ->  'Software' -> 'All'.

Select DAZ Studio and Postgres SQL CMS for now and click 'Start Queue'

Shut down DIM when the downloads finish and move the drive to O system.

Now, on O system, Start DIM and repeat the configuration steps from the I system - using the O system path for the download directory; do not click 'Accept' at this point. Switch to the 'Installation' tab to tell DIM where to put things.

Pick the 64-bit and (if desired) 32-bit directories you want to install Studio to. Be aware that the final path for the install will be "<32-bit>/DAZ 3D/Studio4" and "<64-bit>/DAZ 3D/Studio4" I'm using D:/bits-32 and D:/bits-64 on my O system. Now, to add an installation directory - click on the '+' bottom left, pick a label, and browse to the path you want. I used gen5 (label) and D:/S4stuff/gen5 (path). Once you have that path defined you can click on the default path definition and the '-' button bottom left to delete it. I also have a 'general' path G:/general (most tutorials are 'general' data type).

You may want to change the Content Database Base path; I left it on my C: drive - I have nearly 15,000 items installed and the CMS is only 3.06 GB; my C: drive is a 500 GB SSD. Also, you may want to change the path to the 'Manifest Archive' - DIM puts a file here for each item installed - this is how it tracks what has been installed. Wherever you have it, make a backup after each install run. On my system this is 589 MB; tiny, in the great scheme of things.

You only need to worry about the 'Applications' tab if you have Photoshop, Hexagon, or Zbrush - this is where you tell DIM where they live.

When you're done, click on 'Accept' and DIM is set -- but you need to tell Studio about the changes. Which means that it's time to install Studio and Postgres. Dim should have propagated the 'Ready to Install' tab when you exited the setup; if not, click on the rotating arrows left of the account name.

Select Studio and Postres SQL and 'Start Queue'.

Fire up Studio and select 'work offline' and then Edit -> Preferences -> Content and click on 'Content Directory Manager' at the bottom.

Click the '+' by DAZ Studio Formats to expand the list, then click on 'DAZ Studio Formats' itself; this gives you the option to Add a directory. Click the 'Add' button and browse to your DIM installation directory (in my case above, D:\S4stuff\gen5 - in DAZ terminology, gen5 is a 'content' directory; in Poser terminology it is a directory that contains a Runtime directory). This will put the directory at the bottom of the list; you'll want to move it to the top - click on it and use the move button. You can add non-DIM directories here as well; I have an D:/S4stuff/3rd-party that I dump things not from DAZ into. You may want to also add your Poser directories here, after the Studio directories. Note that my 'general' directory  is NOT defined - none of the items that go into it are used by Studio.

Repeat the above for the Poser Formats group, as some of the items DIM installs (older items, for the most part) are Poser format and will be found by this directory path.

Click on 'Accept'

Shut down DIM and Studio.

From here on out the sequence is - put drive on I system, start DIM, log into account. Select products to download and Start Queue.
    Shut down DIM, move drive to O system, start DIM on O system, select 'Work Offline', select products to install on 'Ready to Install' tab and Start Queue.

If you decide to split some products to a different drive at some point, just add the directory to DIM and Studio - and make sure to 'Show Details' on the Installation Tab - this gives you a drop-down for the content path selection.

Buggered up the format a bit, but I think I sorted it.

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,015
    edited July 2020

DIM is a wonderful download assistant for speed. However one can download most [not everything such as the new bridges for eg.] manually.

From our Product Libraries, click on each product and use the blue 'manual' buttons to download desired products. Some things such as templates are only available via manual download.

Blue Buttons.png
    1486 x 726 - 123K
    Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • DiscipleDisciple Posts: 76

@namffuak: Yeow!  Thanks for the exhaustive instructions.  Seems I need to obtain a 64-bit Windows machine to use online.

@Catherine3678ab: Thank you, too.  Downloading zip files of content does indeed work quite well.  My question regards installing them so that D|S can fully access them.  The old "unzip into a runtime" method no longer works.  To my D|S, the runtimes look like nothing but trees of empty folders.

What's going on with DAZ?  In the past, I could download the install package I wanted, unzip it and install it.  Simple.  If the company wants to put everything under the control of online managers, fine... but where's the manual option for we, the unplugged?  Is it just lost in the fine print of the documentation archives?

I kinda would like to try out newer features like dforce and fiber hair.

Hallelujah!

Disciple

You don't need a 64 bit windows system for your online box - there's a 32-bit version of DIM and that's all that you'll need there.

And you can still download the packages and install manually if you desire; they're zips now and not bitrock executable installers. I'd suugest still using DIM for the downloads - one of the design requirements DIM fulfills is notification of updates. On the O system just use your favorite zip utility to unpack and install - note that the DIM packages have a top-level 'content' directory - you want everything under that directory, but not the 'content' directory itself; it's a placeholder in DIM representing your content directory.

Disciple said:

@namffuak: Yeow!  Thanks for the exhaustive instructions.  Seems I need to obtain a 64-bit Windows machine to use online.

@Catherine3678ab: Thank you, too.  Downloading zip files of content does indeed work quite well.  My question regards installing them so that D|S can fully access them.  The old "unzip into a runtime" method no longer works.  To my D|S, the runtimes look like nothing but trees of empty folders.

What's going on with DAZ?  In the past, I could download the install package I wanted, unzip it and install it.  Simple.  If the company wants to put everything under the control of online managers, fine... but where's the manual option for we, the unplugged?  Is it just lost in the fine print of the documentation archives?

I kinda would like to try out newer features like dforce and fiber hair.

Hallelujah!

Disciple

Still one merges the Runtimes together - there is only one of those too.

For D/S to "see" in the Runtime folders, one has to have that pathway for the Poser content shown to the Content Manager [where one set the path to the main directory for D/S content]. Then instead of looking at My Library content for D/S - back on the very first choice of where to start digging, one goes to the Poser choices. Figures are for the characters, Poses are for the mats and poses, etc. just like before.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited August 2020
    Disciple said:
    My question regards installing them so that D|S can fully access them.  The old "unzip into a runtime" method no longer works.  To my D|S, the runtimes look like nothing but trees of empty folders.

Are you doing that "unzip into a runtime" literally, as in your folder named "runtime"? The "empty folders" thing suggests very strongly that you've installed the entire D|S-format folder structure (which contains the Poser /Runtime/ folder structure) into your Poser-format /Runtime/ folder. The "empty folders" is exactly what happens when you place D|S-format content files into a Poser-format content location, or vice-versa — the files that don't match the location type are invisible, you can only see the folders.

Post edited by SpottedKitty on
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,732
    edited August 2020
    Disciple said:
    My question regards installing them so that D|S can fully access them.  The old "unzip into a runtime" method no longer works.  To my D|S, the runtimes look like nothing but trees of empty folders.

Are you doing that "unzip into a runtime" literally, as in your folder named "runtime"? The "empty folders" thing suggests very strongly that you've installed the entire D|S-format folder structure (which contains the Poser /Runtime/ folder structure) into your Poser-format /Runtime/ folder. The "empty folders" is exactly what happens when you place D|S-format content files into a Poser-format content location, or vice-versa — the files that don't match the location type are invisible, you can only see the folders.

For DAZ installers it's usually the "Content" root folder in the zip that is causing problems.  I've written my own installer/uninstaller which ignores that folder and will install/uininstall any "normal" product (not plugins etc.) from DAZ and elsewhere correctly.

Post edited by Taoz on
    edited August 2020

All right.  Taking my best run at following the directions.  

There are two systems to set up - the I (Internet) system and the O (Offline) system. Download and install DIM (Daz Install Manager) on both systems.
    On the I system:

Start DIM.  Click the Add Account' button and fill in your DAZ Store user name and  email address.  Click 'Accept'. Now select 'Work Offline' and click Start.

I have a crippled Win7 laptop and DIM 1.4.0.46, which starts with a login window demanding my account's email and password, no 'Accept'.  Logging in leads to a window that will not connect until I allow an automatic update.  (I hate forced updates.  They break things that ain't broke.)  Once updated (1.4.0.58), I'm allowed to work offline.

Click on the gear icon, top right, for the settings menu - select Advanced Settings.
    Click on the 'Downloads' tab and set your download directory on the USB drive- I use G:/dim-download on my laptop; then scroll through the data types to select what you actually want to see as available downloads - DAZ Studio 4.5+, Install Manager, General, Software, Plugin, Windows (either or both bit levels) are probably what you'll want. Include Public Build if you want to be able to get the Studio beta(s) when they come out. Also include 'Connect Avaiable', as some products end up with this as the only tag. Click on 'Accept'.

Now click on your user name, top right, to get back the account logon popup. Fill in your password - optionally, click the 'Remember Me' checkbox as well - and click 'Start'.

DIM will now contact Daz and build a list of all downloadable products you've purchased (You have 'purchased' Studio I assume?) When the list is complete you have two options - download everything, or just download Studio and Postgres; I recommend just the two for now, so click on the little magnifier next to the filter box, select 'Filter by Tag' ->  'Software' -> 'All'.

Select DAZ Studio and Postgres SQL CMS for now and click 'Start Queue'

'Filter by Tag' does not appear on the filter popup, but I found the files anyhow and downloaded.  A rather persistent window keeps reappearing, offering a basic auto-install of the starter package.  I've been closing it.  I also downloaded some of the Victoria 8 products, for testing.  I think I'm getting it so far.

Shut down DIM when the downloads finish and move the drive to O system.

Now, on O system, Start DIM and repeat the configuration steps from the I system - using the O system path for the download directory; do not click 'Accept' at this point. Switch to the 'Installation' tab to tell DIM where to put things.

Pick the 64-bit and (if desired) 32-bit directories you want to install Studio to. Be aware that the final path for the install will be "<32-bit>/DAZ 3D/Studio4" and "<64-bit>/DAZ 3D/Studio4" I'm using D:/bits-32 and D:/bits-64 on my O system. Now, to add an installation directory - click on the '+' bottom left, pick a label, and browse to the path you want. I used gen5 (label) and D:/S4stuff/gen5 (path). Once you have that path defined you can click on the default path definition and the '-' button bottom left to delete it. I also have a 'general' path G:/general (most tutorials are 'general' data type).

I think I understand.  These are where my installed content will eventually go, ready for Studio to make full use of it.

namffuak said:

You may want to change the Content Database Base path; I left it on my C: drive - I have nearly 15,000 items installed and the CMS is only 3.06 GB; my C: drive is a 500 GB SSD. Also, you may want to change the path to the 'Manifest Archive' - DIM puts a file here for each item installed - this is how it tracks what has been installed. Wherever you have it, make a backup after each install run. On my system this is 589 MB; tiny, in the great scheme of things.

You only need to worry about the 'Applications' tab if you have Photoshop, Hexagon, or Zbrush - this is where you tell DIM where they live.

When you're done, click on 'Accept' and DIM is set -- but you need to tell Studio about the changes. Which means that it's time to install Studio and Postgres. Dim should have propagated the 'Ready to Install' tab when you exited the setup; if not, click on the rotating arrows left of the account name.

Select Studio and Postres SQL and 'Start Queue'.

Fire up Studio and select 'work offline' and then Edit -> Preferences -> Content and click on 'Content Directory Manager' at the bottom.

Click the '+' by DAZ Studio Formats to expand the list, then click on 'DAZ Studio Formats' itself; this gives you the option to Add a directory. Click the 'Add' button and browse to your DIM installation directory (in my case above, D:\S4stuff\gen5 - in DAZ terminology, gen5 is a 'content' directory; in Poser terminology it is a directory that contains a Runtime directory). This will put the directory at the bottom of the list; you'll want to move it to the top - click on it and use the move button. You can add non-DIM directories here as well; I have an D:/S4stuff/3rd-party that I dump things not from DAZ into. You may want to also add your Poser directories here, after the Studio directories. Note that my 'general' directory  is NOT defined - none of the items that go into it are used by Studio.

So, these tutorials typically contain no installable 3D assets?

namffuak said:

Repeat the above for the Poser Formats group, as some of the items DIM installs (older items, for the most part) are Poser format and will be found by this directory path.

Click on 'Accept'

Shut down DIM and Studio.

From here on out the sequence is - put drive on I system, start DIM, log into account. Select products to download and Start Queue.
    Shut down DIM, move drive to O system, start DIM on O system, select 'Work Offline', select products to install on 'Ready to Install' tab and Start Queue.

If you decide to split some products to a different drive at some point, just add the directory to DIM and Studio - and make sure to 'Show Details' on the Installation Tab - this gives you a drop-down for the content path selection.

Buggered up the format a bit, but I think I sorted it.

It appears you've guided me safely to the shore.  D|S runs, and I can load a Genesis 8 figure and render Iray images of the interior scenes I need.  I can proceed.  Some things still have me puzzled.

• Copying/pasting settings between surfaces has no effect. (Answered)
    • I installed keyMate and graphMate but their control panes still aren't listed. (Answered)
    • V4 won't take INJ pose morphs. (Answered)
    • dForce won't go until compiled, and it wants the wrong GPU as its target. (Answered)
    • All cameras are forced to share the same pixel size and aspect. (Answered)
    • Saving an image from a render in progress shuts down the render.
    • Only 8-bit options are available for saving images.
    • I'd like to assign Iray to my GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, and I still need to try DIM-installing non-DAZ packages.

Procedures like this should be DAZ's job, to make the directions easy to find and straightforward to do.  Was I just missing the obvious?  I remember how they used to survey the customer base and request input regarding improvements.  Does that happen these days?

Still, I'm getting useful results, so thank you all heartily.  Here are two of the first renders, an apartment backdrop and V8 marching for human rights.

Hallelujah!

Disciple

AKapartment01.jpg
    960 x 540 - 82K
    V8march001.jpg
    480 x 1080 - 36K
    edited August 2020

I guess I'll address these one at a time. 

My laptop has a GPU, an nVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti. I bought it to accelerate renders.  I want the Iray engine to use it, so here's what I've done.

• Updated the drivers from the latest manufacturer recommended download,
    • confirmed successful install,
    • shutdown and cold restart,
    • launched Studio,
    • selected GPU only in the advanced render settings tab of the Iray engine, preview and final,
    • set up a new scene with default Victoria 8 plus ponytail and basic wear,
    • enabled Iray preview and launched a small render.

At this point, no Iray output appears.  A smooth-shade view appears in the preview pane.  The status bar shows "Preparing scene...".  The yellow progress bar climbs from zero to 100, over and over.  A render window pops up and runs for a few seconds, then finishes with an empty canvas.  A screenshot is attached.

My GPU memory self-reports as 8Gb, but I tried reducing my scene just in case.  Even an empty scene never finishes the "Preparing..." phase when Iray preview is selected.

If I enable the CPU, the Intel cores do deliver Iray rendering in preview and final, as in my previous post.  I looked through nvidia.com, but that's all about screencasting and gaming with newer products, no help to me.  So now I'm out of ideas.  What did I miss?  Thanks for reading.

Hallelujah!

Disciple

Edit: Solved.  Please continue.

nVIDIA_Fail_001.jpg
    807 x 540 - 84K
    edited August 2020
    Disciple said:
    edited ...   Some things still have me puzzled.
    • Copying/pasting settings between surfaces has no effect.
    • I installed keyMate and graphMate but their control panes still aren't listed.
    • V4 won't take INJ pose morphs.
    • dForce won't go until compiled, and it wants the wrong GPU as its target.
    • All cameras are forced to share the same pixel size and aspect.
    • Saving an image from a render in progress shuts down the render.
    • Only 8-bit options are available for saving images.
    • I'd like to assign Iray to my GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, and I still need to try DIM-installing non-DAZ packages.

For V4 to accept INJ pose morphs, one needs to run the power loader and be sure to check off to include the community channels.

Keymate is now included in D/S.

need this.png
    623 x 567 - 78K
    edited August 2020
    Disciple said:
    For V4 to accept INJ pose morphs, one needs to run the power loader and be sure to check off to include the community channels.

I see the checkbox.  I'll have to add some characters and try it.  The Morphs++ work.  For some reason the V4.2 base figure can't be found in the "Millennium" folder where I told DIM to put it.  Poses and MATs are found, but I have to turn to the alphabetical Product folders to load the base figure.  Is my offline workflow the reason D|S is acting so weird?

Keymate is now included in D/S.

Do you mean the advanced timeline?  That appears to carry most of the keyMate tools, and I do see a graph editor.  Honestly, why is it so hidden? :roll:  It's certainly better than earlier versions of the Studio timeline.  It will do.

I'll try dForce again, now that my GPU driver is updated.  Still hoping for an Iray solution.

That's two issues from the checklist addressed.  Thank you.

Edit: I really despise how badly these forums mismanage quote attributions.

Hallelujah!

Disciple

edited August 2020

Some progress has happened.  I found a better nVIDIA driver and D|S now detects the correct GPU, both Iray and dForce, so I ran tests.

Default settings, a Victoria 8 face closeup rendered at HD...

• CPU - 35 minutes
    • GPU - 14 minutes
    • Both - 10.6 minutes

I was hoping for at least one order of magnitude speedup, but I'm glad for this improvement.  Pic attached.

dForce didn't fare so well.  I started again with a default Victoria 8, eased her into a tiptoe pose over 70 frames, and rotated her 2.25 times in Y over 90 frames, hoping for a twirling skirt on her dForce dress.  The simulation took about 38 minutes to run, and went unstable after frame 71, disappointing.  I did a similar test on a dynamic Jessi dress in the old Poser 6 cloth room for comparison.  The models are much lower resolution, I know, but even so.  Poser's sim ran on a single core of my old Athlon, finished in 2.75 minutes, and didn't break.  Pic attached.

That's two more things solved from the checklist.  Not the greatest, but they're not dead anymore.  I'm still looking for the other list items, especially more Iray information, how to enable some basic animation-friendly features, like multipass rendering, HDR output, and motion blur.  Anybody?  Thanks for reading.

Hallelujah!

Disciple

Edit: That was an animated GIF when I attached it.  Embedding it failed.  Can anyone see it move?  Well, I'll attach the frame where the dForce dress detonates.  Why are these forums better than the old ones again?

V8IrayGPUtest01.jpg
    960 x 540 - 41K
    ezgif-6-014287ff87d7.gif
    480 x 240 - 982K
    Split_103.jpg
    480 x 240 - 21K
  • Yeah, the forums don't take animated .gifs. When posing the figures for DForce, tweak so that the limbs don't go through each other, etc. That's one reason for explosions.

Yeah, the forums don't take animated .gifs.

Uhhh... I'd like to hear the logic behind that decision in a graphic/animation software forum.

When posing the figures for DForce, tweak so that the limbs don't go through each other, etc. That's one reason for explosions.

Thanks.  Thought I did, but I'll watch for that next time.  Seems like much tweaking and waiting will be required.

I'm still trying to get animation-useful output from Iray.  The tutorials tell me nothing about HDR output, so I'm trying the slow, hard way around, rendering bracketed exposures.  Pic attached.  It works, but managing exposure is a mess.  I can get the exposures I want in the tone mapping settings, but I can't keyframe them in a sequence.  I can keyframe the f-stop setting on a camera, but... it doesn't affect the exposure!  I mean, how...?  Ach!  The camera has no setting for film speed or shutter speed, nothing to manage exposure at all.  Somebody help me understand this.  What am I missing?

So I'm bracketing by hand-tweaking one frame at a time.  HDR attached.  Can't attach an HDR.  There are worse things, but I'd sure like to hear from someone with a better way.  Thanks.

Hallelujah!

Disciple

AKaptBracket001.jpg
    1024 x 512 - 72K
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    Disciple said:

• Copying/pasting settings between surfaces has no effect.
    • dForce won't go until compiled, and it wants the wrong GPU as its target.
    • All cameras are forced to share the same pixel size and aspect.

To copy and paste between two surfaces, they must be using the exact same surface shader.  So if you copy from a Iray surface shader to a 3Delight surface shader, little or nothing will change. 

Go to the Simulation Tab.  It has 3 tabs of its own, click on Advanced and choose the CUDA device to run the simulation on.  I have two 980TIs and I was able to choose the secondary card which is not being used for display.

After you create a new camera, select it and go to the Parameters Tab.  Look under "Dimensions" and at the very top you will see "Use Local Dimensions".  "Off" means it will use whatever DS is set to in the Render setting Tab.  "On" means you can specify what that camera's dimensions will be.  Under "Camera" is where you can change your focal point, the length of the lens and the FStop.  The default cameras, Perspective, front back and sides cannot be changed and will be whatever is defined in the Render settings tab.

• Film speed and shutter speed, etc. are over on the Render Settings panel.

edited August 2020

To copy and paste between two surfaces, they must be using the exact same surface shader.  So if you copy from a Iray surface shader to a 3Delight surface shader, little or nothing will change. 

All right, tutorial videos all start with the "Iray Uber Base" shader... but where is it?  If I follow the lesson and add a sphere, then open the surfaces presets, exactly two shaders appear.  Two.  They toggle the lights in one of my apartment settings.  Pic attached.  Selecting a figure causes a few material preset options to show, but no other shaders, not even a basic diffuse.  I have some shader bundles among my product purchases, and they appear when installed... that is, the "smart" ones appear.  Pic attached.  The not-smart shaders I have to dig through folders to find, but no amount of digging succeeds in finding any default shaders for Iray or any renderer, like basic glossy or basic glass or basic skin.  Don't these just come with Studio?  I set it up just like the man told me to.

Further snooping has uncovered a folder in the program directory containing files that look like the missing assets... "basic.mdl", "pbrmaterial.mdl", "irayubermaterial.mdl", etc.  Are they found anywhere in my Studio workspace, even in search results?  No, they are not.  (That's another thing.  Searching for the term "Victoria" fails to find Victoria 4 or her add-ons, though she's right there in a runtime with barely 20 products installed.  Does anything about this program work correctly?)  Are these unused files really shaders, and why doesn't Studio show them?

Edit: Solved.  Please continue.

Go to the Simulation Tab.  It has 3 tabs of its own, click on Advanced and choose the CUDA device to run the simulation on.  I have two 980TIs and I was able to choose the secondary card which is not being used for display.

This one I think is working.  At least I found an nVIDIA driver that makes the device checkbox appear, and a dForce dress for Victoria does indeed simulate.  I have no way of seeing how the CUDA hardware is performing, but dForce runs its brittle course.  I'll live with it.

After you create a new camera, select it and go to the Parameters Tab.  Look under "Dimensions" and at the very top you will see "Use Local Dimensions".  "Off" means it will use whatever DS is set to in the Render setting Tab.  "On" means you can specify what that camera's dimensions will be.  Under "Camera" is where you can change your focal point, the length of the lens and the FStop.  The default cameras, Perspective, front back and sides cannot be changed and will be whatever is defined in the Render settings tab.

Excellent.  That works as described.  That's another issue answered.  Thank you.  I'll start scratching them off.

Film speed and shutter speed, etc. are over on the Render Settings panel.

Yes, that's what I'm using, but Render Settings is not an object that can be manipulated in the scene tree or the timeline, so its values can't be keyframed, AFAICT.  Rendering the same environment with different exposure settings may be the slowest, most inefficient means of building an HDR, but enabling keyframes would lighten the labor a little.  (Much better would be the ability to render just once, directly to an HDR image.  Yes?)  Besides, exposure isn't a render setting.  It's a camera setting, and in the camera object is where it should be.

I'm starting to sense that the DAZ Iray renderer doesn't offer any of the features on my short wish list... multipass rendering, HDR, nor motion blur.  Someone please prove me wrong.  Thanks for reading.

Hallelujah!

Disciple

MoreShaders00.jpg
    1425 x 537 - 59K
    MoreShaders01.jpg
    1425 x 537 - 133K
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,142
    edited August 2020
    Disciple said:

To copy and paste between two surfaces, they must be using the exact same surface shader.  So if you copy from a Iray surface shader to a 3Delight surface shader, little or nothing will change.

All right, tutorial videos all start with the "Iray Uber Base" shader... but where is it?  If I follow the lesson and add a sphere, then open the surfaces presets, exactly two shaders appear.  Two.  They toggle the lights in one of my apartment settings.  Pic attached.  Selecting a figure causes a few material preset options to show, but no other shaders, not even a basic diffuse.  I have some shader bundles among my product purchases, and they appear when installed... that is, the "smart" ones appear.  Pic attached.  The not-smart shaders I have to dig through folders to find, but no amount of digging succeeds in finding any default shaders for Iray or any renderer, like basic glossy or basic glass or basic skin.  Don't these just come with Studio?  I set it up just like the man told me to.

Further snooping has uncovered a folder in the program directory containing files that look like the missing assets... "basic.mdl", "pbrmaterial.mdl", "irayubermaterial.mdl", etc.  Are they found anywhere in my Studio workspace, even in search results?  No, they are not.  (That's another thing.  Searching for the term "Victoria" fails to find Victoria 4 or her add-ons, though she's right there in a runtime with barely 20 products installed.  Does anything about this program work correctly?)  Are these unused files really shaders, and why doesn't Studio show them? [... snip]

The default shaders (including Iray Uber Base) are in a separate download file from Daz Studio itself - have you installed it? It's called Default Resources for DAZ Studio 4.9+
    I believe you are downloading with DIM on a laptop and copying files to install to an offline machine? Make sure you got that one.

If it is installed then when you select your sphere in the Scene tab and select it's surface in the Surfaces tab you should find the basic Iray shader presets listed.

By the way those .mdl files you found in the Program directory are Material Definition Language files - these are the actual "Shaders" which tell Iray how to handle surfaces. They are referenced by the "Shader Presets", which are the user-visible files for actually loading onto your surfaces, which pass the appropriate parameters for your type of surface (glass, emissive, cloth, ... whatever) to the Shaders themselves.

Post edited by MelanieL on
    MelanieL said:

The default shaders (including Iray Uber Base) are in a separate download file from Daz Studio itself - have you installed it? It's called Default Resources for DAZ Studio 4.9+
    I believe you are downloading with DIM on a laptop and copying files to install to an offline machine? Make sure you got that one.

Smashing! smiley That makes sense, and it worked.  Presets now populate the pane, and I can copy and paste settings.  Pic attached.  Another list item answered.  The file search also found Install Manager Default Filters plugin, so I can filter by tag or other criteria now.  Useful.

There's no store page for Default Resources, and my D|S page tells me nothing about it.  What else is in this package that I might need?

My D|S page also lists Scene Builder for DAZ Studio, but my DIM can't find it among my products.  Do I need this?

Next, I'll try to figure out how to install older packages, when they're just zip files containing Readme and Runtime... and I'm still hoping to find a way to coax useful output from Iray. 

I gotta ask, does every offline first-timer go through this steep entry curve, playing "find the missing component"?  Does DAZ mean to discourage offline use, or is there just no interest/time/budget for providing support outside the connected community?  Thanks for reading.

Hallelujah!

Disciple

MoreShaders02.jpg
    1425 x 537 - 141K
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,142

Glad you got the Shader Presets working! To take your questions in order:

Default Resources is part of Daz Studio, so there is no actual product page - I think it's a separate install file so they can alter the contents in future without everyone having to reinstall DS itself. As well as the shader presets, there are a few props (like the Material Ball you may have seen used in lots of promos for shader presets in the store), various lighting presets mostly for 3Delight renderer, and some utility scripts. If you look at the "Installed Files" list available through DIM on your offline machine (right-click that line in your installed products list and "show installed files" is an option) you can see everything included in it.

To be honest, I've no idea what Scene Builder for DS is - I don;t think I've ever used it, though I did apparently install it. It should be in DIM somewhere - do you have the DIM tag "Plugins" enabled? You might find a few things turn up it you enable it (on your internet-connected PC).

DIM can download and install the older packages too (there are few things it can't do) - but if they are only ReadMe's and Runtime then they are in "Poser format" so you need to define your content library to DS under Poser Formats as well as Daz Studio formats. They almost certainly don't have useful (or any) metadata, so you'll need to go through  the Content Library tab to find them, not Smart Content.

I think they just assume that the average user is online all the time. But quite a lot of us use non-internet-connected PCs for Daz Studio - just keep asking questions, that's the only way I got everything working for me.

Good luck!

• Hello.  I'm back to ask more questions, good advice.  I had three questions.  Now I have two and a half.

1. With regard to shaders, I read that copying settings only works across matched shaders, so I tried it.  Some Goldtassel hair looked nice, so I tried to clone its quality onto an older hair I wanted.  I first applied the iRay uberShader preset to the surfaces and then did the copypaste, which sorta worked.  Some values came through, but the uberShader doesn't look at all like Goldtassel's original, so here's the question.  How do I identify shaders in other people's content?  I'd like to find the one Goldtassel was using and use it, too.  I suspect this will happen often.  The uberShader result looked okay, but... yeah.

2. Dem bones!  I'm making a short comic with V8 and M8, each image a frame on the timeline.  Most of V8's head bones have vanished from the scene tab.  M8's head has bones for his ears and two face rigs.  V8 has them, too, but they're only seen in the timeline tree.  Selecting them there produces nothing in the parameters tab.  They're inaccessible, so her face is paralyzed except for the rather limited expression sliders.  What happened to them in the scene tab, and how can I restore them?  I tried adding a raw G8 female to the mix, and she arrived with functional face rigs, pic attached.  I might manage a workaround, but a solution would be better.

2.5. I RTM and learned how to change the backdrop color in the view pane, but does that affect the matte color used in transparent renders done in iRay?  Testing may tell me, but I need to access that matte color with certainty.

Oh, I looked at Scene Builder, and it appears to be a starter lesson, the "now let's add a light" sort of thing.  Thanks for reading and for the help.

Hallelujah!

Disciple

FaceRigIssue001.jpg
    1240 x 1003 - 199K
  • Disciple said:
    1. With regard to shaders, I read that copying settings only works across matched shaders, so I tried it.

FWIW, what's happening here is that copy/paste only works between parameters that have the same name. E.g. 3Delight has "Glossiness" and Iray has "Glossy Layered Weight". For anything that doesn't match when you apply the Iray Uber Base converter, you have to dig into the Surfaces Pane and juggle things to fit manually.

Disciple said:
    Some values came through, but the uberShader doesn't look at all like Goldtassel's original, so here's the question.  How do I identify shaders in other people's content?

Select a surface (either in the Surfaces Pane, or using the Surfaces Tool) and the name of the shader will be right at the top of the Surfaces Pane. If it says anything other than "DAZ Studio Default" (3Delight) or "Iray Uber" (Iray) then it's a custom shader that will probably only work right in 3Delight. You'll probably need to poke at the Surfaces Pane settings manually, as I said above.

• Thank you for the reply.  The Vertigo Ponytail comes with a specialized shader that I can't apply to other hairs. sad  My hunch is confirmed.  I'll make do with the default hair shaders.  Sigh.

Question- when I add a Victoria 8 to my scenes, she arrives without functional ear bones or face rigs, but if I add Genesis 8 female, she has 'em.  Then I can impose the Victoria 8 character and have her correctly rigged.  That doesn't happen with Michael 8.  Is that how it works for other customers?

The comic is finished and added to my gallery.  I hope I presented it well.  I made it for sharing, so tell your friends.  Hit that subscribe button.  More questions will follow, but if anyone knows answers to my latest, thanks for the help.

Hallelujah!

Disciple

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited September 2020
    Disciple said:
    Question- when I add a Victoria 8 to my scenes, she arrives without functional ear bones or face rigs, but if I add Genesis 8 female, she has 'em.  Then I can impose the Victoria 8 character and have her correctly rigged.  That doesn't happen with Michael 8.  Is that how it works for other customers?

That... shouldn't be happening. Remember Victoria 8 isn't a different figure, it's just the Genesis 8 Female figure with the V8 character morph and textures auto-applied.

Here's what I get when I load V8; note the highlighted body parts in the Scene pane on the left. What are you seeing?

V8-Face.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 206K
    Post edited by SpottedKitty on
    edited September 2020

What are you seeing?

Look back a couple of posts and you'll see it, my screen-cap.  The only difference between success and fail is loading Victoria in two steps instead of one, so it's a small workaround.  I have a few other G8F characters so I'll give them a test, but I haven't noticed problems there yet.  I haven't tried V8-HD yet either, come to think of it.

My experience base is Poser, where character morphs aren't available on my figures until I inject 'em.  But in D|S I'll place a G8F, look at her parameters, and there I see face and body morph sliders for every G8F character in my content tree... and they're active.  Is that normal?  Doesn't it eat memory?  Will I need to start applying REM poses?  It's fun experimenting with them now I admit, but as my runtimes grow that slider pane's gonna get packed.  I'm just glad all the material presets don't pile up that way.

Whatever you can tell me, I appreciate it.  Thanks for reading.

Hallelujah!
    Disciple

• Disciple said:
    Look back a couple of posts and you'll see it, my screen-cap.  The only difference between success and fail is loading Victoria in two steps instead of one, so it's a small workaround.  I have a few other G8F characters so I'll give them a test, but I haven't noticed problems there yet.  I haven't tried V8-HD yet either, come to think of it.

That's weird. Definitely shouldn't happen. Open a Support Ticket about it, and see what they can do for you. (Click on "Help" at the top of this page.) There should be no difference with V8-HD, it's just another more detailed character shape laid on top of the V8 shape.

Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling V8? (Don't uninstall/reinstall everything, there's no need.) If there's a glitch in your installed V8 files, that might clear it up. This won't affect your Genesis figures or any other installed characters.

Disciple said:
    My experience base is Poser, where character morphs aren't available on my figures until I inject 'em.  But in D|S I'll place a G8F, look at her parameters, and there I see face and body morph sliders for every G8F character in my content tree... and they're active.  Is that normal?  Doesn't it eat memory?  Will I need to start applying REM poses?  

It isn't a Poser/DAZ|Studio thing, it's a Unimesh/Genesis thing (DAZ figures before the first generation of Genesis were made from a single figure called Unimesh). Genesis doesn't use INJ/REM poses, all the morph channels for every character you have installed will be present in the Genesis figure when you load it into the scene. And it doesn't take up too much system resources; only the morph channels are included, the morph data (which is much bigger than the channel data) will not be loaded until you give that morph a non-zero value.

Disciple said:
    It's fun experimenting with them now I admit, but as my runtimes grow that slider pane's gonna get packed.

Yes, it does. I only have a few characters each for less than half of the main <name>8 base characters, and my scroll-wheel finger gets a lot of exercise. 

edited November 2020

Well, the galleries are still in lockdown, so I'll upload here.  I've been rendering comics with the information you all have provided.  Thanks.  More questions arise.  I think I'll put them in the mouths of the characters, if I can attach them at a good size.  (Nope, large images fail here, so it's thumbnails.)  Here's the first of two comics.  Thanks for reading.

Hallelujah!

Disciple

IWM_Page_000.jpg
    1500 x 1500 - 467K
    IWM_Page_001.jpg
    1500 x 1500 - 465K
    IWM_Page_002.jpg
    1500 x 1500 - 495K
    IWM_Page_003.jpg
    1500 x 1500 - 417K
    edited November 2020

Here's the follow-up comic.  I'm making simple scenes in Studio 4.12, two figures with clothes and hair, an apartment setting with a few props and added lights, nothing extraordinary.  When I open a file in my workspace (Windows 10), morphs are present in the parameters pane, but not in the timeline, even with all the visibility checkboxes enabled.  Now if I toggle a checkbox off and on again, then the morph channels suddenly decide to appear in the timeline and function as they ought, but all my camera lines vanish!  angry The cameras still exist, but no longer generate auto-keyframes when tweaked.  I can get the camera lines to show by closing and reopening my scene, but then morphs are gone again.  I can timeline either cameras or morphs but not both.  Anyone else seeing this?  It really slows down production.

Oh, of my modest library of G8F characters, about 2/3 of them load with their face rigs missing, while none of my G8M characters do.  The two-step workaround takes care of it, but thought I'd post the update.

Anyway, the comic.  Thanks for reading.

Hallelujah!

Disciple

VersionTherapy1.jpg
    1500 x 1500 - 487K
    VersionTherapy2.jpg
    1500 x 1500 - 498K
    VersionTherapy3.jpg
    1500 x 1500 - 463K
    edited November 2020

Haven't checked all my figures but as I recall there's an option on the scene tab to show hidden ... and then all the face rig appears.

There is a nice video that shows how to make/use a gadget to have figures holding hands. Over on YouTube somewhere ;-) {if I find it again I'll post back} here it is:

With AniMate2 we can make our own animation blocks. Using the timeline one can apply a still pose here and there, then run the animation and one will have action. It would undoubtedly require adjustments. And again, one can save out the animated pose.