New FOSS exporters for DS to Max, Maya, C4D and Blender

New and free exporters to Blender, Maya, Max and C4D for G3, G8 and static 3D models: https://www.daz3d.com/daz-to-maya-blender-3ds-max-and-c4d Seems like a big deal, enough to start a new thread here too since it may help Carrara too. Daz has even started new Forum threads for the 4 apps. The sources and documentation are supposed to be available in August 2020. When they are online, maybe something can be modified for Carrara...

Comments

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693

crickets...

heh.

The one way I could see this being really useful *for* Carrara users, is the ability to get things out of DS and into the other apps that might be able to export back to Carrara in ways that work better in Carrara. Anyone else see different and clever angles on gains for Carrara?

I also wonder if they'll be open-sourcing the Poser DSON converter, especially since the Python version in Poser is slated for upgrade next release. Could be wrong, but in the current climate, I don't see Poser as being a big customer source that would warrant the expense and investment of coders doing that update.

2c,

--ms

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,821

well I am struggling with it in Blender

it freezes up and does worse stuff than FBX or dae exports from Carrara

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,699

well I am struggling with it in Blender

it freezes up and does worse stuff than FBX or dae exports from Carrara

Bugzzzz.....

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017
    Yeah in the Blender thread they mention that another free DS exporter is better for now. Maybe it will be developed further...
  • Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,191
    3drendero said:
    The sources and documentation are supposed to be available in August 2020. 

Don't get me started on promised documentation.  

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,224
    Steve K said:
    3drendero said:
    The sources and documentation are supposed to be available in August 2020. 

Don't get me started on promised documentation.  

ROTFL!!!

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,224

I am quite jazzed about all of this though. I really hope they get it sorted. 

What I read is that users didn't even need to have Daz Studio. Just buy the content and use the plugin to bring it into ones software of choice - which is Really Awesome if it works!

Saddens me to hear of this bad news on the Blender front. I hope the others are doing better.