Ds Creative- The Magazine for Daz Studio users!

Comments

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,513
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    "All articles will be proof red"
    LOL- really???? (Couldn't resist. I thought I was the only one who did things like this!)

Good luck with the magazine- it's nice for all of you to pitch in and spread enthusiasm. :)

I think the reason for that note is that even though writers comes from many different parts of the world and don't have English as native language, every article will be read and edited by people that not only have English as native language but also either have studied the English language at university level or have genuine knowledge and deep interest in the language (language nerds).

• thd777thd777 Posts: 932
    edited July 2014

Very nice magazine. Some good info in there. Best of luck for this endeavour!
    TD

Post edited by thd777 on
  • 3WC3WC Posts: 1,095
    edited December 1969

Just looked at the magazine--very professional looking. I've seen some that were not so good, but yours is top-notch. I look forward to reading future issues, maybe even participating in some contests! Thanks.

• MusclemanMuscleman Posts: 2,986
    edited December 1969

uhmmm...i like it!

• WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724
    edited December 1969

Intaressssting ...

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Well, I'm impressed. I was really looking forward to this, but it's actually bigger and better than I had expected (especially with such a quick turnaround). Congratulations to the team!

• SassyWenchSassyWench Posts: 602
    edited December 1969

Really well done team! Congrats! :)

• mrposermrposer Posts: 1,127
    edited December 1969

I enjoyed the first issue. My favorite articles were the Gen 3 clothing to Genesis 2 and the 3 point light rig setup. It seemed like you had a nice mix of basic and advanced info like the Render to Rib and the other render engines being available. Also thanks to the artists who donated the free products. I understand that the scope will not include alot on Poser but hope you do discuss the DSON interface and any other future efforts to close the gap between Daz Studio and Poser.

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited July 2014

Hi,
    you're off to a wonderful start but I suggest looking at other magazines to see how styles work. For example; San Serif text for body is harder to read than text with a serif in body copy. San Serif is generally used for headers and titles, look at any established publication or book and you will see this practice is a scientific rule and not so much a conformity.

Your article about the free pixar Renderman at a glance reads as though you are trying to say Daz Studio will be able to use this engine by exporting a .RIB. This is partially true, before that can happen you will need some sort of bridge to convert the shaders, surfaces and texture maps or they will not be usable to Renderman. 3rd party developers have suggested they may create such a bridge in the near future. (this is called a "lead" btw.)

The walkthrough on page 58 for 3Delight stated that you can use any CPU with up to 4 cores and get increased render speed; this is not true for 4 core cpu's with hyperthreading (e.g. Intel i7). Using a hypethreaded 4 core cpu case with the Standalone 3Delight application will produce renders at 1/2 the speed your system would if using the internal 3Delight bundled into Daz Studio since the CPU's 4 virtual cores are restricted from being used without purchasing the license.

all that aside I'm looking forward to the next issue!

Post edited by StratDragon on
  • Design Anvil - Razor42Design Anvil - Razor42 Posts: 1,234
    edited December 1969

Generally San serif fonts are easier to read on screens as pixel resolution can affect readability of serif fonts,
    and as this is a digital mag the font seems to read pretty well imho.

What your referring to is correct for print media though.

• bad4ubad4u Posts: 684
    edited July 2014

Post edited by bad4u on
  • Saba TaruSaba Taru Posts: 170
    edited December 1969

Very cool first issue. Everyone involved deserves major kudos for its production.

Just a note for consideration, though... It's been said several times that you have dedicated proofreaders. I know it's a fan mag, but if you want people to take it seriously, some very basic / grammatical flaws need to be fixed (like active sentence structure, basic punctuation usage, and some very strange spacing and image issues). A good technical editor (one that can copyedit) should be able to fix it.

For instance, page 21 of the issue makes me cringe (what happened to the punctuation, spacing, and proper capitalization?). The Vendor Spotlight Q&A really needs to be reformatted so it's easier to read. I shouldn't have to read things multiple times just to figure out what the point of the article is if the formatting is correct. Something like the Quick Questions section formatting for the Vendor Spotlight is perfect. On page 29 (the fav five article), Aeon Soul is used two different ways, neither of which is correct if you go by their store at RDNA (it's actually two separate words). That's at a super quick glance and at only the first half of the issue...

All that said, again, congrats you guys. Excellent first go and I'm looking forward to the next issue.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

bad4u said:
    Any chance of getting a (free) PDF version into DAZ shop ??? ...

Click on the Share button and to the right you can download a pdf ... registration required

• bad4ubad4u Posts: 684
    edited July 2014

Post edited by bad4u on
  • Dark-ElfDark-Elf Posts: 955
    edited December 1969

Love that my brother and sister-in-law got in there, they make an awesome team :)

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 1969

bad4u said:
    Kerya said:
    bad4u said:
    Any chance of getting a (free) PDF version into DAZ shop ??? ...

Click on the Share button and to the right you can download a pdf ... registration required

Registration required. Another one I don't want. No, thanks.

you can read it on line for free which I did and there was a free download I thought but I too am tired of "give us your email, we wont spam you" or "like us on facebook" and watch the junk pile up model of distribution.

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

OK, I'm giving up ever getting a copy of this magazine. I've tried twice to "Create Account", and twice I didn't have the correct information for issuu.com/Username field. How am I supposed to supply info for that field if it won't let me create an account??????

I don't do social networking, so Facebook, LinkedIn ad Google+ are out of the question. Anyone have any ideas what the problem is???????

• ThatGuyThatGuy Posts: 794
    edited December 1969

Miss B said:
    OK, I'm giving up ever getting a copy of this magazine. I've tried twice to "Create Account", and twice I didn't have the correct information for issuu.com/Username field. How am I supposed to supply info for that field if it won't let me create an account??????

I don't do social networking, so Facebook, LinkedIn ad Google+ are out of the question. Anyone have any ideas what the problem is???????

Miss B, after reading your post, I went ahead and created an account (just to see how difficult it is to do so) without a problem. The only problem I can see is that you might be "creating" a username that is already in existence. So try adding numbers at the end of the username that you want to use. I hope this helps.

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited July 2014

ThatGuy said:
    Miss B said:

Miss B, after reading your post, I went ahead and created an account (just to see how difficult it is to do so) without a problem. The only problem I can see is that you might be "creating" a username that is already in existence. So try adding numbers at the end of the username that you want to use. I hope this helps.
    Hmmmm, I'm also wondering if they don't allow spaces in their user names, but there wasn't a problem with the Display Name field, so not sure if that's it. I know some forums don't allow spaces, or initial capped letters, but do allow underscores.

OK, I'll go try again. You would think, however, the "invalid" message would be more specific.

Post edited by Miss B on
    edited December 1969
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

now come on Totte where the enthusiasm. LOL

Try this

Ds Creative Magazine, issue two out now, get your copy here .

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Szark said:

Try this

Special offer Buy one, get one free.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Szark said:

Try this

Special offer Buy one, get one free.

Grab it while it lasts!

edited August 2014

Szark said:

Try this

I needed to post link #2 (I think Drakenborg will update her post) but I needed to direct a newbie to my bump and disp tutorials ;-)
    And Pam - I prefer "Take two, pay for 3!"

Post edited by Totte on
    edited December 1969

LOL see much better cho and Kerya.

Totte nice tutorial dude.

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    LOL see much better cho and Kerya.

Totte nice tutorial dude.

Thx ;-) Phil said "Never do a 16 image tutorial again please" ;)

edited December 1969

lol darn I will have to shorten mine.

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    lol darn I will have to shorten mine.

I told him a picture says more than 1024 words ;-)

• Cliff BowmanCliff Bowman Posts: 1,677
    edited December 1969

I have a horrible tendency to include animations and say that they count for more than 1024 pictures ;)

• reserv888reserv888 Posts: 1,126
    edited December 1969

Totte said:

I am very grateful you are doing this. Nice issue with great articles and great images. Thanks again.

This discussion has been closed.